CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

As part of its effort to broaden and accelerate coverage of Canadian chess, the CFC assigned its new news editor the task of developing a daily newsfeed.

Today, the CFC's new Newsfeed is up and running!

This morning, you'll find:
    • a tournament report with photos from the Quebec Chess Challenge
    • introductory messages from Félix Dumont and me
    • a tournament announcement about the Ontario Girls' Chess Championship
    • a page listing and introducing our Team of contributors.

A big thanks to Félix Dumont for assembling and coordinating the McGill Chess Team, and for their work in creating the site and their commitment to supplying it with daily content. That we've launched on time is all the more remarkable as the students involved finished their final exams only yesterday!
    (special thanks to our webmaster Shao Hang He... I hope our deadlines didn't force you to go to summer-school ).

http://chess.ca/newsfeed
    Last edited by John Upper; Wednesday, 1st May, 2013, 05:41 PM. Reason: added an "and"

Re: CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
    As part of its effort to broaden and accelerate coverage of Canadian chess, the CFC assigned its new news editor the task of developing a daily newsfeed.

Thanks John. Perhaps worth knowing is the URL of the xml feed:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/rss.xml

(that does appear at the end of the page that John referred to...
    it is where you go when you click on the small orange RSS symbol on that page -
    I thought it was worth quoting in this thread too)
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 1st May, 2013, 11:36 AM. Reason: clarification
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

We received nice pictures from FM Lefong Hua (Quebec Chess Challenge) :
      http://chess.ca/newsfeed/qc_provincial

Let's hope more organizers will send us reports and tournament adverts, especially if they took lots of pictures :)

Comment

Re: Re : CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Let's hope more organizers will send us reports and tournament adverts, especially if they took lots of pictures :)
        You got email!

Comment

This morning, you'll find:
          • a tournament report with photos from the Quebec Chess Challenge
          • introductory messages from Félix Dumont and me
          • a tournament announcement about the Ontario Girls' Chess Championship
          • a page listing and introducing our Team of contributors.

A big thanks to Félix Dumont for assembling and coordinating the McGill Chess Team for their work in creating the site and their commitment to supplying it with daily content. That we've launched on time is all the more remarkable as the students involved finished their final exams only yesterday!
          (special thanks to our webmaster Shao Hang He... I hope our deadlines didn't force you to go to summer-school ).

http://chess.ca/newsfeed
          Looks good but when I really want news of what's happening with the CFC, I turn to Kevin Spraggett's blog...

Comment

Re : Re: Re : CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            You got email!
            Thanks Andrei. Your article is on the first page (and can also be found in the event section). My apologies if the formatting is not perfect, but we are still working on our text editing modules.

Comment

Congratulations to the McGill Team (Felix and all of the gang there) for a good looking start and John (for hiring them).

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                Looks good but when I really want news of what's happening with the CFC, I turn to Kevin Spraggett's blog...
                The above post is a good example of why prudent people always use smilies or emoticons to show when we are joking.

Comment

The above post is a good example of why prudent people always use smilies or emoticons to show when we are joking.
                  Joking? 891

Comment

Joking? 891
                    Either your post here or this one has to be a joke.

(I prefer to think it's the one in this thread.)

BTW: our job is not to report on "news of what's happening with the CFC". Our job is to report on chess in Canada. The CFC is only one part of that.

Comment

Either your post here or this one has to be a joke.

(I prefer to think it's the one in this thread.)

BTW: our job is not to report on "news of what's happening with the CFC". Our job is to report on chess in Canada. The CFC is only one part of that.
                      No actually. I can still find Spraggett's blog informative of what goes on with the CFC and not regard him highly. Kind of like what the FBI does when they manage to turn an informant. Just like the FBI, I may have to do a bit of sorting out of what seems to be really true in my opinion, but I've had experience doing that as a caseworker. It can be quite entertaining.

I will look forward to the reports on casual, non-tournament players if you are going to report on all of chess in Canada and not just CFC members. I applaud your setting such a thorough task for yourselves.
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 1st May, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

I will look forward to the reports on casual, non-tournament players if you are going to report on all of chess in Canada and not just CFC members. I applaud your setting such a thorough task for yourselves.
                        One of our main goals is to promote chess in Canada, regardless of whether tournaments are CFC rated or not. So, we will cover club tournaments, CMA tournaments, FQE tournaments... Anything that we think could be of interest for chess players.
                        Of course, that said, the newsfeed is financed by the CFC, so we will also cover many CFC-rated tournaments and even analyze games for some CFC rated tournaments. However, we believe that promoting chess at all levels can only result in more people being interested in chess and more potential members for the CFC.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          One of our main goals is to promote chess in Canada, regardless of whether tournaments are CFC rated or not. So, we will cover club tournaments, CMA tournaments, FQE tournaments... Anything that we think could be of interest for chess players.
                          Of course, that said, the newsfeed is financed by the CFC, so we will also cover many CFC-rated tournaments and even analyze games for some CFC rated tournaments. However, we believe that promoting chess at all levels can only result in more people being interested in chess and more potential members for the CFC.
                          All very good and again I applaud your efforts. Seriously, no joking, no smiley faces required.

Comment

Re : CFC Newsfeed Launched Today!

David Zhou also published the first Canadian tactic (D. Dimitrijevic (2019) - A. Campos (1862), BC Senior Chess Championship 2013).
                            Some might find it very easy, some might find it pretty hard... He will try to give tactics for players of all strength. The solution is hidden behind the first spoiler button. The three other buttons actually show some variations of the solution that people might find interesting.

We will try to adjust the difficulty of these tactics on the feedback we receive, so don't hesitate to tell us how you have found them.

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/tactics
                            Last edited by Felix Dumont; Wednesday, 1st May, 2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Excellent idea! Really delivers solid, interesting and timely info. I dare say it could be expanded on the front page to engulf the existing CFC news (kudos to Bob Armstrong BTW for his continuing efforts in providing posts).

Any thought of making this an RSS newsfeed?

Comment

Working...
                              X