Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Borislav Ivanov and Rapid Chess

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Ed, no disrespect intended towards you, but I'm not going to get into another discussion on this topic just to keep saying the same things that I've already said. I've copied below a post by Wayne Komer which you may not have read yet. It appears that an 'Administrative Court' in Sofia ruled in Ivanov's favour with respect to his suspension by the BCF. I don't know what an administrative court is in Bulgaria, but apparently they had the authority to overturn the BCF's suspension of Ivanov.

So, it's an issue that gives rise to strong opinions. We can certainly see that in this thread.

Have a good one, Ed. :)
    The post refers to the tournament as the "Open Republic", but the article he cites refers to it as the
    (28th) Teteven Open.

If that is the case, Ivanov never entered, and is not playing now, not according to Chess Results:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr103449.aspx?lan=1
    Last edited by Ed Zator; Tuesday, 13th August, 2013, 10:13 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
      The post refers to the tournament as the "Open Republic", but the article he cites refers to it as the (28th) Teteven Open.

If that is the case, Ivanov never entered, and is not playing now, not according to Chess Results:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr103449.aspx?lan=1
      Has Borislav Ivanov effectively been banned from competitive chess? So unfair!

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Borislav Ivanov is playing in the Blagoevgrad Open. He was asked to take his shoes off before his game with Maxim Dlugy and he refused.

However, contrary to Dlugy's suggestion that Ivanov be banned from the event, Ivanov is in the pairings for Round 8.

See http://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=2903741

Scroll down to Discussion.

There are over 200 of Borislav's games at that site.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          Borislav Ivanov is playing in the Blagoevgrad Open. He was asked to take his shoes off before his game with Maxim Dlugy and he refused.

However, contrary to Dlugy's suggestion that Ivanov be banned from the event, Ivanov is in the pairings for Round 8.

He refused to remove his shoes because his socks stink... LOL
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

I'm pretty sure that if I were playing in say the Canadian Open and the organizers asked me to take off my shoes, that I would also refuse to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              I'm pretty sure that if I were playing in say the Canadian Open and the organizers asked me to take off my shoes, that I would also refuse to do so.
              When I was younger, if someone had asked me that and suggested I was cheating I'd have beaten him like a rented mule.

If the guy takes off his shoes the next thing someone will want to put a digit where the sun doesn't shine to check for a vibrator.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think submitting to such searches was a condition of entry in this tournament? I am pretty sure that was in the discussions on that site. In that case, refusing a search is considered 'withdrawal' from the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  I think submitting to such searches was a condition of entry in this tournament? I am pretty sure that was in the discussions on that site. In that case, refusing a search is considered 'withdrawal' from the tournament.
                  A number of anti-cheating measures will take place: two jamming devices, restricted player area, metal detectors, random searches, guards for personal possessions left outside the playing hall (keys, pens, watches, phones, sunglasses etc)

http://www.chessdom.com/grand-open-blagoevgrad-2013/

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post

A number of anti-cheating measures will take place: two jamming devices, restricted player area, metal detectors, random searches, guards for personal possessions left outside the playing hall (keys, pens, watches, phones, sunglasses etc)

http://www.chessdom.com/grand-open-blagoevgrad-2013/
                    Thanks...

More about the story first hand (an amazing read):
                    http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/...ad-031013.aspx

Comment

Thanks...

Thank you for the link

Comment

Even if it were in the tournament regulations?
                        Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Thursday, 3rd October, 2013, 02:39 PM.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Thanks...

Its too bad they didn't look at the jacket though the shoe seems the likely source of the device he is using. If the world really cared about chess there could be a fairly hilarious comedy routine built around this. I see the character playing Borislav enter wearing Bozo the clown type shoes... A 2600 player would be much harder to catch as he wouldn't attract as much attention when he played good chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            Its too bad they didn't look at the jacket though the shoe seems the likely source of the device he is using. If the world really cared about chess there could be a fairly hilarious comedy routine built around this. I see the character playing Borislav enter wearing Bozo the clown type shoes... A 2600 player would be much harder to catch as he wouldn't attract as much attention when he played good chess.
                            And, as pointed out in the interview, a 2600 player would know when to use the device and when to just play natural (enough) moves - he would use the device only as an occasional aid - not to play the entire game as Ivanov seems to do.

Comment

Writing the names "Machine" and "Some Clown" on the scoresheet indicate that he isn't even trying to pretend very hard that he is the author of these games. Maybe someone just has to stomp down hard on his shoe to end this thing. Of course the behaviour with regard to the shoe may be a clever bit of misdirection when the real prize for those who wish to discover the secret may be the jacket. The behaviour of the organizer also seems a bit off.

I am probably over thinking things based on the limited information.

Comment

And, as pointed out in the interview, a 2600 player would know when to use the device and when to just play natural (enough) moves - he would use the device only as an occasional aid - not to play the entire game as Ivanov seems to do.
                                I don't think his device (if exists) is so advanced. It only allows to enter your opponent's move and gives you a reply move. No option to enter a different move for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X