Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Borislav Ivanov and Rapid Chess

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Even if it were in the tournament regulations?
    Would every player be required to remove their shoes or only one player?

It's a large distraction to be constantly monitoring one player and leaves the door open for others to cheat. After all, you can't accuse 10% of the players of cheating after making a high profile case against one player.
    Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 3rd October, 2013, 06:18 PM.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You don't even need to be 2600, I'm sure I could beat almost anyone in North America if I used Houdini once or twice in my games especially in the openings I play...
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

It might only be necessary for players to think you are using Houdini. They'll likely pooch and you'll win.

For sure when he plays the press and chess players follow the event. I wonder if the entries are higher and the number of spectators are larger.

In the couple of games I looked at his opponents didn't make it into the middle game with decent positions.

If they catch the man fair enough. This is now simply alleged.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Here is a link to the crosstable of the Blagoevgrad Grand Open. The ninth and final round is tomorrow.

http://chess-results.com/tnr108160.a...flag=30&wi=821

Comment

Good point there. It's easy to browse through variations on the computer. But with the presumed set up, not so obvious.

Comment

His performance rating after 8 rounds is 2442. Not out of line. What happened in the Dlugy game? I notice Dlugy has a win and a low performance rating.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ivanov chose to take a forfeit against Dlugy rather than allow his shoes to be searched.

Comment

I hated forfeits in events I've directed. They often tend to effect the final results. Ivanov ended up with a couple of low rated players in his final 2 rounds and has a chance of a decent placing if he wins. Dlugy got a cheap point.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    I don't think his device (if exists) is so advanced. It only allows to enter your opponent's move and gives you a reply move. No option to enter a different move for yourself.
                    According to the story at the link that Kerry provided,

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/...ad-031013.aspx

"We have done a little research and found that, unfortunately, there is a very low-tech way to cheat in chess: a modern Android or Apple smartphone easily fits into a shoe, and you can use your toes to send signals to the motion detector in the phone. Little wiggles will do it. Or the toe can be used to tap on the LED screen. The response of the phone would be short bursts of vibration. An app could handle the interface to a chess engine running on the device. So it is not really necessary to work out a very complicated communication system to explain how a player may be using computer assistance during a chess tournament."

What this means is that everything is on the phone: a custom app. If the user can tap on the screen to enter his opponent's move, what's to say the app also couldn't recognize a special code that means "what I enter next isn't my opponent's move, it's my move which varies from the engine recommended move".

So the phone has both the chess engine and the custom app, and the app could conceivably allow you to only make the recommended move in critical positions. In other positions, you enter a special code and then enter your replacement move. The next thing you enter would be the opponent's reply.

If this is indeed the case, then RF detection and jamming are both useless against it. Now consider what THAT means for chess. It means that taking off your shoes for inspection and testing will need to become STANDARD PROCEDURE for all rounds of all organized tournaments that wish to ensure against cheating. This, of course, is in addition to the RF jamming and detection and all the other anti-cheating measures.

And not only that, but what is to stop someone from designing special shoes with a thin cover for a compartment in the sole that contains the phone? Just looking at the shoe isn't enough, it will actually have to be tested for any such compartments in the sole.

All this because chess is so rigid it can't fathom changing rules so that engines become useless against humans for decades into the future.
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

The results of the final 2 rounds are interesting. Dlugy scored a mere half point. Ivanov scored 1 1/2 points against weak opponents. They both ended up with 6.0 from 9 points. Both tied for 10th to 20th place. The event seems to have got a lot of publicity.

I don't know if the man is doing what they say. While he's playing in an event the arbiters should treat him the same as the other players.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        The results of the final 2 rounds are interesting. Dlugy scored a mere half point. Ivanov scored 1 1/2 points against weak opponents. They both ended up with 6.0 from 9 points. Both tied for 10th to 20th place. The event seems to have got a lot of publicity.

I don't know if the man is doing what they say. While he's playing in an event the arbiters should treat him the same as the other players.
                        In the interview with Dlugy, it seemed clear that Ivanov was warned that he would forfeit the game with Dlugy if he did not comply (and that did happen) but it seemed also clear that he would also be flushed out of the tournament and that did NOT happen. No idea why - perhaps the organizers/arbiter(s) recanted on that part of the threat? I think the tournament rules permitted the proposed search (also something about whatever search for one player was to be done on the opponent too?)

Overall a very nasty business.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

If entries are going up in events where he's playing it would help explain a reluctance to toss him from the event.

If I was in contention for first place in an event and another contending player got the kind of cheap point Dlugy received I wouldn't be very happy. To tell the truth, it's not surprising to me that an American would be involved in the incident.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I don't think his device (if exists) is so advanced. It only allows to enter your opponent's move and gives you a reply move. No option to enter a different move for yourself.
                            The app can be even simpler than that. It is watching the game on the internet, and
                            beeping out at intervals the current best move. That way the program input is always
                            the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
                              The app can be even simpler than that. It is watching the game on the internet, and
                              beeping out at intervals the current best move. That way the program input is always
                              the board.
                              From what I read on Internet he's playing the same when games aren't online. So the device (if exists) is working offline.

Comment

From what I read on Internet he's playing the same when games aren't online. So the device (if exists) is working offline.
                                I'm sure I read somewhere that the live feed went down during one of his tournaments and his level of play took an immediate nosedive.

Comment

Working...
                                X