According to the FIDE website...chess will soon be included in the Olympics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to the FIDE website...chess will soon be included in the Olympics...

FIDE President Kirsan Ilymzhinov for Gulf News
    World Chess Federation (FIDE) President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov is confident that chess will soon be included in Olympics.

Speaking to Gulf News, after the felicitation function for the Al Ain Chess Club that won the first Asian Chess Champions League at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, Ilyumzhinov said: "My aim is to ensure that chess becomes a part of the Olympic movement and is one of the events in the Olympic Games soon. Today, FIDE is made up of 165 countries and we would jointly appeal to get recognition from the International Olympic Committee."

Ilyumzhinov is one of the most powerful and influential sports administrators in the world today. He is the President and Head of Republic of Kalmykia and has been the president of FIDE since November 1995. He has been travelling extensively promoting the game around the world.

Asked in which continent is chess spreading at a fast pace, Ilyumzhinov said: "Chess is now being played in all continents. However, Asia, Europe and America are organising more chess tournaments every day. It is nice to see chess even being played regularly in Mexico and Argentina. "In Asia there has been a boom of tournaments especially in Vietnam and I am delighted that the UAE is also contributing immensely to popularise the game. Shaikh Sultan Bin Khalifa Al Nahyan as president of Asian Chess Federation is a very active organiser of tournaments. I am also very impressed with the amount of young talent in this region," Ilyumzhinov has obtained degrees and titles from National Academy of Applied Sciences of Russian Federation and New York Academy of Sciences.

Ilyumzhinov also made a special reference to the progress of chess in India. "India is progressing tremendously. Vishwanathan Anand is one of the greatest Grand Masters of the present period. He has shown the way for many youngsters," he said.

Ilyumzhinov is keen to spread the game at the grass-roots level. "We are having special programmes in FIDE for chess in schools. We now support chess as an academic subject," said Ilyumzhinov, who was the deputy of the Supreme Soviet of Russian Federative Republic and the President of Russian Chamber of Entrepreneurs.

Re: According to the FIDE website...chess will soon be included in the Olympics...

Well, it will be very interesting to see if his prediction comes true, and chess does in fact make it in. I hope it does; it will become much easier to promote and develop chess if that happens, especially in Canada.

I do know that the International Olympic Committee is interested in reducing or holding constant the number of sports offered for competition, because of the trending expansion in the number of Olympic competitors, which puts strain on the organizers. There are many other sports which are also seeking inclusion in the Olympics. Golf leaders are aiming to bring their sport back for 2016; the last time golf was offered was at St. Louis 1904, when it was won by a Canadian, George S. Lyon of Toronto.

One advantage which chess may have over some other sports is that it should be relatively inexpensive to stage, requiring few if any special facilities which need to be constructed specifically for the Olympics. Another advantage is that it is already played worldwide.
    :) :)

Comment

Re: According to the FIDE website...chess will soon be included in the Olympics...

A.Karpov, in an interview with Polgar in Dresden, told that chess may become Olympics sport after 2020. (In terms of four years it is really near

Comment

I can see chess being recognized as an Olympic "sport" - but how would chess be presented at an Olympics? If it was a Chess Olympiad, you would need housing for an additional 1500 people or so. The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver will house 5000 athletes, coaches, etc. The 2008 Olympics in Beijing housed around 10,000. A city which has been awarded the Olympics (so far 2010 in Vancouver; 2012 in London; 2014 in Sochi, Russia; the 2016 city will be selected in October) would have based their bids on previous Olympics, and would not be prepared for a 15% or 30% increase in the number to house and feed. So - we would be looking at 2018 at the earliest.

How could chess be presented with fewer participants? Have the top "x" teams from the previous Olympiad play? Some sort of individual tournament with participation decided by qualifiers or the rating list?

If chess gets in - so would bridge - which would face similar problems wuith numbers.

Comment

If they do allow chess in, my guess it will only be as a Trojan horse to allow other 'sports' in such as ballroom dancing, lawn bowling, darts, snooker, competetive janitorialing (10km waste basket emptying etc) and the like. Once you let chess in you have no argument for preventing any other 'sport' from being included. Well maybe you can keep checkers out, I mean there have to be standards don't there?

Comment

Don't Hold Your Breath.................

for chess in the olympics!

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
              If they do allow chess in, my guess it will only be as a Trojan horse to allow other 'sports' in such as ballroom dancing, lawn bowling, darts, snooker, competetive janitorialing (10km waste basket emptying etc) and the like. Once you let chess in you have no argument for preventing any other 'sport' from being included. Well maybe you can keep checkers out, I mean there have to be standards don't there?
              Ballroom dancing used to be in the summer Olympics.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re: Don't Hold Your Breath.................

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                for chess in the olympics!
                Hi Ken,

I should have ended my post with:

The opinions expressed by FIDE and or the FIDE President do not necessarily reflect those of this station :)

Larry

Comment

I agree it shouldn't be allowed,but now then theres no way I can meet those cute american and european gymnasts lol. I stand no chance without one of those olympic athlete tags. nooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Working...
                  X