Great chess quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Burn calories like you're a baboon. Play chess.

As Wayne Komer posted in his Sinquefield commentary, Giri (who's never lost to Carlsen in 9 classical encounters, one win and eight draws) took a bit of a shot at Carlsen.

Giri: "My wife knew about 7...g5 in that Sicilian (Carlsen-Topalov) I don't know why Carlsen didn't"

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

Great Chess Quotes

That still makes me laugh, Jack. I like Giri's chutzpah. Let us see what happens when Carlsen meets him in Round Four on Wednesday.

Comment

• Re: Great chess quotes

Great Chess Quotes

August 24, 2015

Often the Filipino and Indian Press have a sports reporter describe a chess match, as a sports item, and using boxing terminology.

Here is a heart-thumping example from a more sobre writer, Mike Klein, writing in chess.com

To set up the scene – it is Round Two of Sinquefield Cup 2015. In Caruana-Carlsen, the two players are in a mad time scramble:

“Both players found themselves in severe time pressure leading up to move 40. Caruana had less sand in his hourglass and that proved to be his downfall. Nearly any other reasonable move besides his final would have given him a chance for a plus. The problem? He had only four seconds before triple zeros would appear. "It got a bit out of control... It's hard when you have a couple of seconds," Carlsen said. "Rxd2 is just reflex. It's hard but it can happen."

Caruana's clock management became more dire with nearly every move. He had only one minute and five seconds to make the final 10 moves, then was reduced to 15 seconds for seven more. He did technically make the standard, then resigned immediately afterward due to his blunder on move 40. Carlsen originally had much more time than his opponent, but then dwindled perilously close to zero himself. He admitted that after the misguided 27... b4, "there was no emergency exit. I thought I should start playing for tricks." He made his 40th and winning move with about three seconds left also.”

Comment

"The penguin is mightier than the swordfish." (Chess Master and prolific author Fred Reinfeld, 1910 - 1964.)

Comment

"The hardest thing in chess is to win a won game." (Frank Marshall, U.S. champion 1909-1936.)

Comment

"Chess is too earnest for a game, too much of a game to be earnest about."
              (Felix Mendelssohn, world-class music composer, 1809-1847, and an occasional chess player.)

Comment

"Chess gave me the opportunity to further an ambition, and at the same time convinced me of the futility of the ambition."
                (Alexander Alekhine, 1892-1946, World Chess Champion 1927-1935 and 1937-1946.)

Comment

"I like to attack. If this be treason, make the most of it!" :) (GM Arnold Denker, 1914-2005, U.S. Champion 1944-1946.)

Comment

Retirement from Chess

September 2, 2015

Lawrence Trent, commentator, player and now manager of Fabiano Caruana, is in St. Louis for the Sinquefield Cup 2015.

Evidently, last night there were odds games played and today Lawrence tweeted this:

Just lost to the world champion MagnusCarlsen rook odds... 4 Games. Actually the most disgusting moment of my life retired4good.

Actually it wasn’t quite so bad. Later he tweeted:

I should point out that I actually won 5 of those games vs MagnusCarlsen.. But still to lose 4 is just shocking.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Sept. 2, 2015

I think Anish Giri has a great sense of humour although it is easy to take him too seriously as Baadur Jobava once did.

Recall the press conference after their game at the Tashkent Grand Prix, 2014

Jobava: "Hey, if you continue ironic I'll say another few words to you and the press conference is over, so speak normally, ok?" (Giri keeps smiling) "Not smile like idiot! I'm not the guy you can ironic. (Giri stops smiling) - Speak normal, you must respect your opponent."
                      ________

This in a Giri interview yesterday with Jennifer about being the best dressed at Sinquefield Cup 2015:

Giri went in to a mock rant when Jennifer Shahade suggested Magnus might just win the prize for the best-dressed player in the Sinquefield Cup: "Have you got some problems with that, Jennifer? Tying with Magnus, did you say? Magnus? The guy’s wearing the same thing every day and he doesn’t even buy it, he got it from the sponsor. Jesus. I cannot believe it. I cannot believe it! Incredible! I’ll talk to Rex, she’ll get fired for next time.”

From chess24.com – Colin McGourty

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

September 8, 2015

This is dangerously close to not being a quote.

ChessBase gives coverage to the upcoming Al Ain Classic in December, 2015. It is in Abu Dhabi in the Arab Emirates.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/al-ain-...-december-2015

A chart of the prize structure is given with awards to the top twenty players, best of several classes and so forth. Sort of sandwiched between the prizes for oldest and for youngest player is this:

Player with best score sheet handwriting $100

Comment

"My aim was always precision, wherever that would take me." (GM Reuben Fine, 1914-1993)

Comment

"The mistakes are all there, just waiting to be made." (GM Savielly Tartakower, 1887-1956)

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

September 9, 2015

A “yurt” is a portable, round tent covered with skins or felt and used as a dwelling by the nomads in the steppes of Central Asia.

There is an old news story online about Kirsan Ilyumzhinov that uses the word in an expression about keeping his presidential position warm, if he needs to return:

Many in the republic think that even if Ilyumzhinov is not granted the opportunity to run for a third term, he will nevertheless succeed in finding a loyal replacement to "guard his yurt" in his absence.
                              ______

I have been amused by the thought that someone in Elista could open a shop that sold flavoured yogurts and real-estate and name it “Gurts and Yurts”.

See “The resistable rise of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov” at

http://atimes.com/c-asia/CH17Ag01.html

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

September 12, 2015

In the World Cup Baku 2015, personal pens and watches have been banned from the tournament floor, which caused Roger de Coverly to ask on the EC Forum:

Are they still using zero default times? It’s a double hit to demand that players be on time, but deny them the means to achieve this.

Comment

Working...
                                X