X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great chess quotes

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    Great Chess Quotes

“His private pursuits were not typical of the judiciary. He was keen on boxing and chess, and was certainly the only Old Bailey veteran who kept whippets.”
    But probably not whips. And did he combine chess/boxing?

Comment

One of the best chess quotes I've ever heard. From a club player in Quebec. It's in French so you might have not heard of it. I'll translate it:

"At that point, I was threatening to understand the position."

-Clément L'Heureux

Comment

Here is my all-time favourite chess quote.

"Lies and hypocrisy do not survive for long on the chessboard. The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie, while the merciless fact, culminating in a checkmate, contradicts the hypocrite." Emanual Lasker, World Champion 1894-1921.

Comment

Since Mieses is very much in the news today with Galmandakh's upset win over Motylev with his most peculiar interpretation of Mieses Opening, how about a Mieses quote? At the age of 84, upon defeating the 86-year-old Dirk van Foreest, Mieses said, "Youth has triumphed." (:

Comment

Straight from the lips of Jack Ronean the words of the great Mieses: "Young man do not take chess so seriously."

Comment

Great chess quotes

Nigel Short
              Tweet on January 29, 2015

Ever since my team mate Romain Edouard wrote a book on avoidable mistakes, he has been making them by the bucket-load

Comment

Great chess quotes

From Edward Winter’s site – item 9143:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/i...dhead_Alekhine

Tuesday, November 29, 1927
                Buenos Aires

Alekhine, the Russian chess master, has won the chess championship of the world from Capablanca, who has held it since 1921, by winning the sixth game in the series here – Reuter

There was a great demonstration after the adjournment of the last game, says a RUP Buenos Aires cable. The crowd invaded the quiet room where it had been played, and carried Dr. Alekhine down two flights of stairs to the street. There were loud cheers for “Old Baldhead Alekhine.”

This is a new Walter Mitty dream for chess players – to be carried and jostled down two flights of stairs and be called “old” and “baldheaded” by your admirers!!

Comment

Great chess quotes

Vishy Anand in an India Today interview, March 13-14, 2015

In 1997, you needed a supercomputer to beat the strongest human on the planet (at chess). By 2000, your laptop could do it. By 2004, an old laptop could do it. Your mobile phone couldn’t do it for a while but by the second or third iteration of these things, that started to happen. Soon your kitchen table will do it, your fridge will do it!

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

[Definition: “Doing a Caruana” – winning seven high-level chess games consecutively in classical chess.
                    Coined after the performance of Fabiano Caruana in the 2014 Sinquefield Cup]

From a description of the Women’s World Championship Knockout in Sochi, 2015:

GM Humpy Koneru seemed well on her way to “do a Caruana” but like Anish Giri (in Qatar), Magnus Carlsen (in Wijk aan Zee) and Hikaru Nakamura (in Gibraltar), the Indian grandmaster also failed to do so!

http://www.chess.com/news/humpy-blun...-pogonina-1787

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

A listing on eBay on April 6, 2015:

Cyrillic Chess Book – Presumably Rare
                      $30

Fortunately, a little investigation of the photo reveals the book to be

Shakhmaty ėnt͡siklopedicheskiĭ slovarʹ
                      Karpov, Anatoly and Averbakh, Yuri
                      Moskva: Sov. Entsiklopediia, 1990, 621 pp.

An encyclopedic dictionary of chess; a handsome volume and well worth the $30 + shipping.

Comment

A listing on eBay on April 6, 2015:

Cyrillic Chess Book – Presumably Rare $30

Fortunately, a little investigation of the photo reveals the book to be

Shakhmaty ėnt͡siklopedicheskiĭ slovarʹ
                        Karpov, Anatoly and Averbakh, Yuri
                        Moskva: Sov. Entsiklopediia, 1990, 621 pp.

An encyclopedic dictionary of chess; a handsome volume and well worth the $30 + shipping.
                        I assume a seller is not very experience. The book is nice though it lost its value to internet resources like wikipedia. [At least for me. I gave it at as a present to my friend ~10 years ago. He was happy, I was happy too :) ]

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Top Ten Excuses for Losing!

1. Dog ate score sheet

2. Dead batteries in my hidden transmitter

3. Went outside for fresh air, forgot about tournament

4. Disturbed by my own reflection in opponent’s sunglasses

5. Still despondent over 1964 death of Fred Reinfeld

6. Inexplicably confused ECO A29 line 13 note 87C with ECO A13 note 87C, lost Queen

7. Unlucky pairing against my historical nemesis, G. Kasparov

8. During play, pondered both sides of USCF lawsuit dilemmas, lost on time

9. Studied book *How to Beat Bobby Fischer*, was unprepared for other opponents

10. After making move, accidentally punched opponent instead of clock.

Quoted from the Exeter Club Website. I will not give the link because it is rather quirky.

One could Canadianize the list by substituting this for Item 8 (above):

8. During play, started to worry about the expression “Anthropogenic Climate Change” in the ChessTalk forum, lost on time

Comment

I made a wrong mistake !

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Tweeted by GM Jan Gustafsson after GM Wesley So was forfeited in Round Nine of the U.S. Championship 2015 for writing notes during a game:

Note to self: Don't write notes to self during a chess game.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Top Ten Excuses for Losing!

1. Dog ate score sheet

2. Dead batteries in my hidden transmitter

3. Went outside for fresh air, forgot about tournament

4. Disturbed by my own reflection in opponent’s sunglasses

5. Still despondent over 1964 death of Fred Reinfeld

6. Inexplicably confused ECO A29 line 13 note 87C with ECO A13 note 87C, lost Queen

7. Unlucky pairing against my historical nemesis, G. Kasparov

8. During play, pondered both sides of USCF lawsuit dilemmas, lost on time

9. Studied book *How to Beat Bobby Fischer*, was unprepared for other opponents

10. After making move, accidentally punched opponent instead of clock.

Quoted from the Exeter Club Website. I will not give the link because it is rather quirky.

One could Canadianize the list by substituting this for Item 8 (above):

8. During play, started to worry about the expression “Anthropogenic Climate Change” in the ChessTalk forum, lost on time
                                For the record, I am the original author of the Top Ten list, which I submitted to the Exeter Chess Club website in 1995. The list has been passed around and reprinted many times, with the result that a few textual errors have crept in. The corrected entries: 2. Dead batteries in hidden transmitter; 4. Disturbed by own reflection in opponent's sunglasses [refers to Karpov's complaint about Korchnoi at Merano 1981]; 6. Inexplicably confused ECO A29 line 13 note 87c with ECO A13 line 29 note 87c; lost queen; 8. During play, pondered both sides of ICC controversy [i.e., the Daniel Sleator spinoff of ICS]; lost on time.

Comment

Working...
                                X