• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great chess quotes

Before their first match in Baguio, 
when asked if he feared Karpov, Korchnoi replied, "I fear nobody 
but the dentist."

Quoted at the end of a long article on Korchnoi-Karpov, WCC Rematch, Merano, October 1981

http://www.si.com/vault/1981/10/19/8...etting-blitzed

Comment

Given Adolf Anderssen would be 196 today, it's perhaps apposite to add his "Attack! Always attack!". Had he not subscribed to that 'romantic' philosophy of his day, we would not have had either his 'Immortal' or 'Evergreen' games (:

Comment

Great chess quotes - Marcel Duchamp

Jack Maguire posted the following ...

Originally posted by Marcel Duchamp
        I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art - and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Great chess quotes - Marcel Duchamp

While it may well be a stretch to consider an entire poem a 'great chess quote', I'm sure some, especially those with a fondness for gambit play, will find Lev Zilbermintz's 'YELLOW COWARD' an entertaining read (:

http://jimwestonchess.blogspot.ca/20...lbermintz.html

And I'll tie it all together with the classic gambit quote:

"In the laboratory the gambits all test unfavorably, but the old rule wears well, that all gambits are sound over the board." - William Ewart Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
            There's a good chess quote that I can't remember exactly, which I think was first (?) said by GM Ljubomir Ljubojevic, and goes something like: "Chess is not something you can learn; chess is something you must understand." It's counter-intuitive, but rather profound, and strikes to the heart of pedagogy. You can try to teach someone any number of things but until they sit down and puzzle it out for themselves, they really haven't understood it. I reminds me somewhat of another old saying: "Everything I learned I have forgotten; everything I know I guessed!"
            Several websites attribute the quote "Chess you do not learn -- chess you understand" to Viktor Korchnoi, but none of them give a precise source. As far as I can tell, no one attributes the quote to anyone else -- although for some reason my first thought when I read your original post was that it came from Vlastimil Hort!

Comment

I much prefer the Korchnoi phrasing--more succinct. I honestly can't say why I thought this came from Ljubo; just a recollection which we need not rely on. But I rather doubt Korchnoi (or Ljubo) was the first to say it. However, "Everything I learned I have forgotten; everything I know I guessed!", that's all mine! :)

Comment

While this might be a droll tennis quote, I feel that Hikaru Nakamura will someday be able to apply it when he finally beats Magnus Carlsen at a game of classical chess (currently standing at 0 wins, 10 losses, and 15 draws).

The world's #3 ranked tennis player in 1978, Vitas Gerulaitus, after finally beating Jimmy Connors at the Janurary 1980 Masters after 16 consecutive losses to his nemesis, came up with this classic:

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Hikaru Nakamura 28 times in a row."
                  This will be included in his next book:

"Secrets of Pawn Endings in Bullet Chess"

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
                    This will be included in his next book:

"Secrets of Pawn Endings in Bullet Chess"
                    I, for one, have a bit of faith in Hikaru, Emil. My money says he does a little better than Vitas (:

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Retirement from Chess

The most famous retirement from chess is that of Garry Kasparov, who announced that Linares 2005 would be his last professional tournament.

There is another retirement from chess that is recalled by many but virtually unknown to most chess players.

It was made in a letter to the editor of B.H. Wood’s CHESS magazine in 1964.

Under the heading ‘Flamboyant Exit’, on page 107 of CHESS, December 4, 1964, the full text is given below:

‘I announce my retirement from chess, as from 24 November 1964.

David Mabbs 

Harrow, 21 November 1964

P.S. – Please – no more tempting circulars!’

I still remember it though it was 50 years ago. There comes a time in the life of many young chess players when they have to decide between a bohemian life in chess and a more conventional career. The anguish is apparent in the P.S. asking for no more tempting adverts.

An note in chessgames.com, dated October 4, 2009:

David Mabbs - interesting career - 1958 British Boys Champion, followed by winning an individual gold medal at the 1961 Student Olympiad in Helsinki. Retired from chess in 1964 to further his career in linguistics, but returned in the early 1970's, finishing 16th in the 1974 British Championship, before retiring again.

The other quote is a retirement from correspondence chess because of the encroachment of computers. The writer is Jim Adams.

I thought at first it might be the famous Jimmy Adams (b. 1947). He is best known as an author/translator/compiler of books on chess openings such as the Poisoned Pawn, Schliemann Counter-Gambit, Richter-Veresov and Trompowsky, as well as historical tournaments such as Paris 1900, Baden-Baden 1925, Dresden 1926, Bled 1931, Moscow 1935 and 1936. He has also produced books on a number of Soviet grandmasters: Karpov, Boleslavsky, Flohr and Kotov. His acclaimed books Mikhail Chigorin: The Creative Chess Genius (1987) and Johannes Zukertort: Artist of the Chessboard (1989) are about to be reissued and he is currently assembling a collection of games and writings of the little-known Hungarian chess revolutionary and forerunner of the Hypermodern movement, Gyula Breyer, who once famously proclaimed: “After 1 e4 White’s game is in its last throes!”

But the letter states that the author had been playing correspondence chess for 57 years – five years before Jimmy Adams was born! It was published in CHESS, March 1999, on page 41 and expressed how many of us felt at the time about computers taking over the game:

Whatever Happened to Human Effort?

I am giving up postal chess after 57 years for the reason that, like Jonathan Penrose and recently Nigel Short, I am increasingly disturbed over the increase in the use of computers in correspondence play. It is impossible to prove but one has the feeling that many opponents see nothing wrong in using a machine and I see no pleasure in having to bash one’s brains out against a computer. I am happy in the knowledge that I won my FIDE IM title long before dedicated chess computers were ever heard of. I shudder to think of the proliferation in the use of computers in a competition like the World CC Championship. I don’t wonder that Penrose objects.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing against which it is impossible to legislate. The BCCA has banned their use but it doesn’t mean a thing.

The latest monstrosity is where Kasparov plays a match against another GM and both are allowed to use computers whilst the game is in progress. To me, this is absolutely shocking. Dr. Nunn admits to the use of computers in the compilation of one of his books and I see that even ordinary annotators use a programme like Fritz to assist with their notes to a game. What happened to human effort?

Anyway, I have about five postal games left in progress and when they are finished I will call it a day.

Jim Adams
                      Worcester Park, Surrey
                      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 3rd August, 2014, 07:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

Magnus Carlsen asked at a press conference just before the Tromso Olympiad whether he thinks Kirsan’s abduction by aliens stories are okay for chess said, “If they are true, yes. If not, then no.”

Comment

There's an H.G. Wells chess quote in the following news item that I'm rather partial to, "There is no remorse like the remorse of chess." (:

http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/sp...hess-1-3496048

Comment

Boris Gelfand interviewed in Tromsø

Boris Gelfand: "It's not important if chess is mentioned if it doesn't have consequences. The consequences are important. Media attention in my opinion is a tool – to get people to chess, to show the beauty of our game, to show the advantages for people, and especially children, in life. This is the key. Attention for the sake of attention has no meaning for me."

Gelfand in Tromsø

Comment

Re: Boris Gelfand interviewed in Tromsø

About midway through the following interview in Tromso, Baadur Jobava, known for his remarkable chess originality, essentially says, "In this age of computers, you must either know everything or be original" (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCtLSEUoOE8

Computers seldom like Baadur's opening moves (today he started his game d4/Nc3/Bf4/Qd2/f3) but there's no arguing with his results. After his 27 move win today, Baadur has 4.5/5 as Georgia's top board.

Comment

Kirsan Nikolayevich says ...

Originally posted by Kirsan Nikolayevich Ilyumzhinov
                                In this Presidential election, I had a formidable opponent – Garry Kasparov, the 13th World Chess Champion. Despite the contention, I told him and that’s what I believe: those who value and love chess are my friends.
                                Statement from FIDE President

Comment

Working...
                                X