Former FQE President Marc Poulin, takes Sobeys Canada nationwide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former FQE President Marc Poulin, takes Sobeys Canada nationwide!

A year ago, Marc got a big promotion from President of Sobeys Quebec to President of Sobeys Canada. Yesterday, the Empire Group (which is the parent company of Sobeys) announced that they have purchased Safeway Groceries (213 stores) in Western Canada for close to 6 billion dollars! Anyone following the stock market has seen Empire Group's stock go up dramatically over the last year.

While President of the FQE, Marc was successful in resolving issues with the CFC and the CMA to improve the chess scene in this country. A simple example...the Canadian Open and the Quebec Open no longer overlap...while it sounds obvious, it took Marc to make it happen! He also put the FQE in a very sound financial position through sponsorships. CMA also benefitted from his help bringing significant sponsorship to the Canadian Chess Challenge...an event he attended on a number of occasions as his youngster was a participant during the years.

Congratulations Marc and good luck running the bigger and better Sobeys...a big task no doubt...but there is no doubt in my mind, one in which you will excel and leave your mark of excellence!

Larry

Re: Former FQE President Marc Poulin, takes Sobeys Canada nationwide!

Excellent news. MY father worked for IGA for many years and it is nice to see Sobeys progressing so well. The acquisition of Safeway is a good thing all around.

Now, IF Marc would consider sponsorship of, say, the Canadian OPEN or CLOSED ("food for thought")
    then I am sure all chess players will immediately start shopping at Sobeys!
    :)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      A year ago, Marc got a big promotion from President of Sobeys Quebec to President of Sobeys Canada. Yesterday, the Empire Group (which is the parent company of Sobeys) announced that they have purchased Safeway Groceries (213 stores) in Western Canada for close to 6 billion dollars! Anyone following the stock market has seen Empire Group's stock go up dramatically over the last year.

While President of the FQE, Marc was successful in resolving issues with the CFC and the CMA to improve the chess scene in this country. A simple example...the Canadian Open and the Quebec Open no longer overlap...while it sounds obvious, it took Marc to make it happen! He also put the FQE in a very sound financial position through sponsorships. CMA also benefitted from his help bringing significant sponsorship to the Canadian Chess Challenge...an event he attended on a number of occasions as his youngster was a participant during the years.

Congratulations Marc and good luck running the bigger and better Sobeys...a big task no doubt...but there is no doubt in my mind, one in which you will excel and leave your mark of excellence!

Larry
      I went to a Sobey's in Burlington once. I almost walked right out the door again with sticker shock. I often shop at upscale food stores but those prices were something else.

Comment

Indeed, it is really expensive to shop at Sobeys' stores! We can save our hard earned money.

Comment

To what are you making the comparison. My wife says she doesn't see much difference. She uses the one on Brock Rd.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

U wot m8????

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            I went to a Sobey's in Burlington once. I almost walked right out the door again with sticker shock. I often shop at upscale food stores but those prices were something else.
            i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              To what are you making the comparison. My wife says she doesn't see much difference. She uses the one on Brock Rd.
              I compare it to where I normally shop. So that would be Fortinos, Longos, A&P, Metro etc. I hardly ever shop at No Frills and Food Basics and the like and I always buy name brand. I've been doing the shopping since I was 15 years old so I don't need a wifey to tell me what prices are like. Sobey's prices are way out of line from similar stores. Their prices are in line with gourmet specialty stores without the gourmet quality. Stores like the Cheese Boutique for example.
              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 14th June, 2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

As long as I get my cookies and ginger ale I don't care what the groceries cost. Mostly groceries are ingredients. It's how you put them together and cook them that counts. Wifey was almost as young as you when she started doing our shopping.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Former FQE President Marc Poulin, takes Sobeys Canada nationwide!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Excellent news. MY father worked for IGA for many years and it is nice to see Sobeys progressing so well. The acquisition of Safeway is a good thing all around.

Now, IF Marc would consider sponsorship of, say, the Canadian OPEN or CLOSED ("food for thought")
                  then I am sure all chess players will immediately start shopping at Sobeys!
                  :)
                  He did, for the 2011 Canadian closed ( by founding a SAP sponsorship). In 2012, there was also a nice buffet from IGA. The FQE has over 60k $ in sponsors every year. A good part was found by him. Thanks to that, most tournaments in Quebec offer more than 100% of the entry fees as prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    As long as I get my cookies and ginger ale I don't care what the groceries cost. Mostly groceries are ingredients. It's how you put them together and cook them that counts. Wifey was almost as young as you when she started doing our shopping.
                    One day I hope to achieve the level of wealth that you enjoy. No wonder you don't support the NDP.

Comment

Then you too can eat cookies and drink ginger ale while you wait for a pension cheque.

As for why I don't want to vote for the left wingers, have a look at the multi-billion dollar project that got put on hold the other day. It will likely be on hold until a more favourable political climate exists in Ontario even if that takes decades. It would have been a lot of good paying jobs.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...e_for_now.html
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                      X