Auditing Financial Statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auditing Financial Statements

The CFC is debating as to whether or not they should pay serious money to have their books reviewed by a professional accountant. Note that I typed reviewed, as accountants almost always produce a report which says "these financials make sense based on the info which was provided by the company." In otherwords...they take no responsibility at all! In my opinion it is far more important that a non-profit which does not receive substantial funds from the government, has good internal controls. An accountant who really does not know your business is virtually useless! He or she have no idea where to look for real fraud in most cases. Unless you are doing a true audit and not simply a review....and even then :( My (unsolicidated) advice to the CFC...save your money and do some simple checking to make sure things make sense. Bank account balances at the end of the year...payables...receivables...nothing complicated. With people like Gerry Litchfield at the helm...everything was fine...he is a class act! Michael is now at the helm and I have confidence in him too. However regardless of what we think...internal controls are essential...I also thought the OCA had a great person in charge a number of years back...and I was wrong :).

Larry

Re: Auditing Financial Statements

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    The CFC is debating as to whether or not they should pay serious money to have their books reviewed by a professional accountant. Note that I typed reviewed, as accountants almost always produce a report which says "these financials make sense based on the info which was provided by the company." In otherwords...they take no responsibility at all! In my opinion it is far more important that a non-profit which does not receive substantial funds from the government, has good internal controls. An accountant who really does not know your business is virtually useless! He or she have no idea where to look for real fraud in most cases. Unless you are doing a true audit and not simply a review....and even then :( My advice to the CFC...save your money and do some simple checking to make sure things make sense. Bank account balances at the end of the year...payables...receivables...nothing complicated. With people like Gerry Litchfield at the helm...everything was fine...he is a class act! Michael is now at the helm and I have confidence in him too. However regardless of what we think...internal controls are essential...I also thought the OCA had a great person in charge a number of years back...and I was wrong :).

Larry
    A little closer observation from provincial associations wouldn't hurt either. For years, the CFC was not passing on the provincial portion of tournament memberships and was not responsive to complaints about that. I think that particular problem has been addressed but I wouldn't know as BC moved to a membership system that took it out of their hands. The current AGM has various Ontario guys just finding out for the first time that the CFC doesn't collect provincial membership fees from CFC life members. I'm not sure where those guys have been all this time but that was one of the reasons for BC moving to it's current membership structure.

Lesson? You shouldn't trust the system and/or CFC and/or "good guys" to look after your interests. Or in the immortal words "Trust but verify". Does that need an auditor? - Probably not - as Larry says, a non chess guy would hardly pick up on something like that but you do need some active independent investigation.

Comment

addendum: BC does in fact monitor carefully the receipts owing for it's provincial dues. Tournament activity is monitored, the amount owing is reviewed, and balanced off against what is actually paid by the CFC. (all done by the BCCF Treasurer Paul Leblanc and previously at least reviewed by the President - me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        addendum: BC does in fact monitor carefully the receipts owing for it's provincial dues. Tournament activity is monitored, the amount owing is reviewed, and balanced off against what is actually paid by the CFC. (all done by the BCCF Treasurer Paul Leblanc and previously at least reviewed by the President - me.)
        I think both of you are very competent and I would have no problem accepting the results of your review. At the CMA we deal with lots of cash. It would be easy for someone to walk away with significant dollars....money an auditor would probably never see :(. Before I leave this world (yes we are not eterenal :) I want to make sure sure that the checks and balances are in place at the CMA and that the future executives know what to look for. I am slowly (hey there is no reason to speed up the process LOL) putting these procedures in place...and I hope we will use our funds in an intelligent fashion and for the right reasons!

BTW, Over the decades, I have seen many non-profit organizations robbed of their funds...and nothing ever happened to the criminals.

I don't want this to happen to the CMA!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Are we talking about auditing the CFC alone or the CFC and the Foundation?

I think it should be audited.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Hi Larry,

Are we talking about auditing the CFC alone or the CFC and the Foundation?

I think it should be audited.
            The Foundation has received significant dollars over recent years. Paul Leblanc (in my opinion) has been able to maximize returns at the foundation (I wish I could have done as well in my personal finances LOL) .

Personally, I think if you have questions...ask them here...Paul will tell you the details...and we can go from there.

Bringing in an auditor at this stage...sounds like overkill in my books.

Today, we have good people in the right places at the CFC, in my humble opinion. Let's ask them the right questions to confirm that all is well. If the answers do not meet our expectations we can go further.

Larry

Comment

Larry, I asked who was advising and also about an accounting method and no reply was forthcoming, in one of the threads. Not that it matters.

Remember with stock based products, usually you haven't made anything until you sell them.

Personally, I don't care what they do. You were asking about the advisability of auditing the books and my opinion is that would be prudent.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Fair enough.

Paul what details can you bring to this for us?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  The CFC is debating as to whether or not they should pay serious money to have their books reviewed by a professional accountant. Note that I typed reviewed, as accountants almost always produce a report which says "these financials make sense based on the info which was provided by the company." In otherwords...they take no responsibility at all! In my opinion it is far more important that a non-profit which does not receive substantial funds from the government, has good internal controls. An accountant who really does not know your business is virtually useless! He or she have no idea where to look for real fraud in most cases. Unless you are doing a true audit and not simply a review....and even then :( My (unsolicidated) advice to the CFC...save your money and do some simple checking to make sure things make sense. Bank account balances at the end of the year...payables...receivables...nothing complicated. With people like Gerry Litchfield at the helm...everything was fine...he is a class act! Michael is now at the helm and I have confidence in him too. However regardless of what we think...internal controls are essential...I also thought the OCA had a great person in charge a number of years back...and I was wrong :).

Larry
                  Before making a statement like that, I suggest you sit down with an accountant and learn about the various levels of reviews/audits. However, that's entirely up to you. By a true audit I take it that you mean that every audit should be a forensic audit and recreate step by step every single transaction made during the year. Do you have any idea how much time this would involve? That's a rather uniformed naive opinion for a successful business person such as yourself. I take it that you are of the opinion that management should be Pontius Pilot and wash their hands and make the accountants die for all of management's sins. The CFC does not have a complicated business model. And yes time would be spent by any licenced accountant in determining what that business model is, where the risks lie and testing the internal controls. I'm well aware of your dislike of banks, accountants and in fact any professionals at all. Your probably the kind of fellow that would represent himself in court and then complain about your representation.

If you had a bit of sense, which you usually do, you would comprehend that internal controls are difficult when staff are few. Would you like a return to the 1920s when no audits were performed at all?

I will point out that Bob Gillanders publically asked for volunteers on Chesstalk to do an audit related to the CFC. When I volunteered, and I have a double major degree in accounting and finance, he backed out on the basis I think that there would be too much work involved. This didn't surprise me as he tried to dissuade me from volunteering as much as possible. When he couldn't do so he just dismissed the whole thing and never contacted me again about it. Does this sound like a soundly run organization to you, not in need of any auditing assistance. I ran into the same issues when I was elected treasurer of a labour union. Oh, we don't need an audit. Oh really? So 5 year old receivables, records not backed up on the computer, negative account balances, money stuffed into chequing getting no interest in violation of your own by-laws, the employer contributing 12% instead of matching the 6% employee RSP contribution, your second major bill unpaid and unrecorded for almost a year - these are all fine?
                  Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 25th June, 2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                    ... That's a rather uniformed naive opinion for a successful business person such as yourself.

... I take it that you are of the opinion that management should be Pontius Pilot and wash their hands and make the accountants die for all of management's sins.

... I'm well aware of your dislike of banks, accountants and in fact any professionals at all. Your probably the kind of fellow that would represent himself in court and then complain about your representation.

... If you had a bit of sense, which you usually do, you would comprehend that internal controls are difficult when staff are few. Would you like a return to the 1920s when no audits were performed at all? ...
                    Notwithstanding your amusing typo (uniformed opinion), it seems that your friendly little note to Larry has put a damper on the discussion in this thread. I wonder if Larry might prefer a return to the 1420s where he could watch you be drawn, hung and quartered?
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

There's not much to audit at the Foundation but anyone is welcome to look at the books.
                      We only write one cheque per year to the CFC and the only outside revenue we receive are 5 or 6 life memberships that arrive by cheque from the CFC.
                      No withdrawals are allowed without two signatures.
                      I send the statement from CIBC Investors' Edge to the 4 other trustees, the CFC Treasurer and the CFC E.D. quarterly.
                      The CFC posts my annual report on the website for all to see.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Before making a statement like that, I suggest you sit down with an accountant and learn about the various levels of reviews/audits. However, that's entirely up to you. By a true audit I take it that you mean that every audit should be a forensic audit and recreate step by step every single transaction made during the year. Do you have any idea how much time this would involve? That's a rather uniformed naive opinion for a successful business person such as yourself. I take it that you are of the opinion that management should be Pontius Pilot and wash their hands and make the accountants die for all of management's sins. The CFC does not have a complicated business model. And yes time would be spent by any licenced accountant in determining what that business model is, where the risks lie and testing the internal controls. I'm well aware of your dislike of banks, accountants and in fact any professionals at all. Your probably the kind of fellow that would represent himself in court and then complain about your representation.

If you had a bit of sense, which you usually do, you would comprehend that internal controls are difficult when staff are few. Would you like a return to the 1920s when no audits were performed at all?

I will point out that Bob Gillanders publically asked for volunteers on Chesstalk to do an audit related to the CFC. When I volunteered, and I have a double major degree in accounting and finance, he backed out on the basis I think that there would be too much work involved. This didn't surprise me as he tried to dissuade me from volunteering as much as possible. When he couldn't do so he just dismissed the whole thing and never contacted me again about it. Does this sound like a soundly run organization to you, not in need of any auditing assistance. I ran into the same issues when I was elected treasurer of a labour union. Oh, we don't need an audit. Oh really? So 5 year old receivables, records not backed up on the computer, negative account balances, money stuffed into chequing getting no interest in violation of your own by-laws, the employer contributing 12% instead of matching the 6% employee RSP contribution, your second major bill unpaid and unrecorded for almost a year - these are all fine?
                        Zeljko: I'm sure Vlad and I would be glad to hear from you via e-mail. Our addresses are on the CFC website.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Zeljko: I'm sure Vlad and I would be glad to hear from you via e-mail. Our addresses are on the CFC website.
                          About what exactly? What happened with Bob Gillanders is what happened. I'm not making it up nor did I dream it up. The only other criticism I've made about the CFC financial statements is that they made no mention of the rather serious and material event of the CFC losing it's charitable status. No mention whatsoever.
                          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 26th June, 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Notwithstanding your amusing typo (uniformed opinion), it seems that your friendly little note to Larry has put a damper on the discussion in this thread. I wonder if Larry might prefer a return to the 1420s where he could watch you be drawn, hung and quartered?
                            Interesting, you criticize me for typos and Paul Beckwith writes long wiinded diatribes about how I edit too much. At least Jordan's suggestions about improving my writing style, punctuation and so on are helpful. Me stifle conversation? I'm pretty easy to ignore. I'm sure if you really try you can do so.

Oh and watch your back; the next time you make a typo I'll be all over you. Cause you know, that's what we do here on Chesstalk, right? At least I spelled naive correctly.
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 26th June, 2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

About what exactly? What happened with Bob Gillanders is what happened. I'm not making it up nor did I dream it up. The only other criticism I've made about the CFC financial statements is that they made no mention of the rather serious and material event of the CFC losing it's charitable status. No mention whatsoever.
                              Well, I thought that maybe your offer of a volunteer review by a professional (yourself) was still on the table. Bob is no longer part of the CFC Executive, so we have no knowledge of any past dealings you may have had with him.

The charitable status thing is in the past, as well. So let's move forward. Certainly it was well advertized at the time it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X