X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYCC dates and accommodation

Andre Botez posted this in another thread, and I have copied it here:

In January, FIDE published this on the website:

The UAE Chess Federation advised that they had made an agreement with the University which meant that they were only able to hold the World Youth at the end of December 2013. They also confirmed that all participants would get free food and lodging. The PB reluctantly agreed to this change of dates; On what is believed to be the official website, http://www.worldyouth2013.com/ this thing is not specified.

The only thing specified in the regulations is:

7. HOSTELS - BOARD & LODGING
    7.1. We offer full board in the UAE University to the official players and accompanying
    official(s) for each Federation from 17th December to 29th December. Accommodation will be
    in the UAE University hostel in Al Ain.

Re: WYCC dates and accommodation

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Andre Botez posted this in another thread, and I have copied it here:

In January, FIDE published this on the website:

The UAE Chess Federation advised that they had made an agreement with the University which meant that they were only able to hold the World Youth at the end of December 2013. They also confirmed that all participants would get free food and lodging. The PB reluctantly agreed to this change of dates; On what is believed to be the official website, http://www.worldyouth2013.com/ this thing is not specified.

The only thing specified in the regulations is:

7. HOSTELS - BOARD & LODGING
    7.1. We offer full board in the UAE University to the official players and accompanying
    official(s) for each Federation from 17th December to 29th December. Accommodation will be
    in the UAE University hostel in Al Ain.
    very good catch Andrei. The "Free" rumor has encouraged somewhat more players participate CYCC(which is good for organizer to collection money probably). I just searched the rule and found additional player and all accompanying persons will pay 30Euros per day:
    "2.4. Other than Official Players, other players shall be classified as Additional Players. All
    other persons other than players or the Accompanying Official shall be classified as
    Accompanying Persons. A Federation may register any number of Additional Players and
    Accompanying Persons but they shall be responsible for their costs. Additional players and
    accompanying persons must pay 30 Euros per day for meals, transportation and other
    services."

Comment

Looking through the regulations for the first time, I see this:

2.4. Other than Official Players, other players shall be classified as Additional Players. All
      other persons other than players or the Accompanying Official shall be classified as
      Accompanying Persons. A Federation may register any number of Additional Players and
      Accompanying Persons but they shall be responsible for their costs. Additional players and
      accompanying persons must pay 30 Euros per day for meals, transportation and other
      services.

3.1. In accordance with FIDE regulations, an entry FIDE fee of 70 Euros for each Official
      Player and 140 € Euros for each Additional player should be paid.

4.5. Each player (official, qualified or additional) and each accompanying official/person must
      pay to the organizing committee the amount of 100 € (Euros) at the moment of their
      registration (before 17th October 2013). This payment is compulsory and represents a
      confirmation of participation. This payment includes transportation from and to Dubai, Abu
      Dhabi and Sharjah airports, accreditation, identification badges and organisation cost.

So, assuming my math is correct, the 12 day event will cost families (other than the official representative) €170 FIDE entry fee, €200 (player + dad) organization fee, and €720 for meals. That comes to €1090, or about $1483 at current rates.

Comment

it is too late to find out :) we are already on the way to Ottawa! (though I may still go no matter what cost is) but probably there are some players may not go if they knew it before, I guess.
        I think this is a good strategy to attract more players to participate CYCC to collect more money for CFC and organizer :) though it was not made by purpose.

Comment

The 2013 CYCC will set an all-time participation record! Congratulations to the organizers and the CFC!

When the CFC went down this road in 2000 I was sure it would fail. Obviously I was wrong. So for a parent who spends significant dollars to have their youngster play in the CYCC...will it make any difference to them to pay more at the WYCC. FIDE saw this opportunity and the CFC followed suite. Honestly, while I do not support these events, at the end of the day...not only have they proven successful...but everyone involved in the process...without exception (organizations, organizers, players and parents) are extremely happy!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            The 2013 CYCC will set an all-time participation record! Congratulations to the organizers and the CFC!

When the CFC went down this road in 2000 I was sure it would fail. Obviously I was wrong. So for a parent who spends significant dollars to have their youngster play in the CYCC...will it make any difference to them to pay more at the WYCC. FIDE saw this opportunity and the CFC followed suite. Honestly, while I do not support these events, at the end of the day...not only have they proven successful...but everyone involved in the process...without exception (organizations, organizers, players and parents) are extremely happy!

Larry
            if there is a rumor saying NAYCC winner can be personal rights player for WYCC, I believe the entries of NAYCC will increase somewhat:). Considering NAYCC's entry fee is much lower than CYCC, and NAYCC provides free accommodation to official players, if Mr. Coleman helps advocate in Windsor, the number of entries will probably increase a lot. I believe the success of CYCC benefited from John's effort. Windsor, a small city, now has 6-8 chess clubs/regular classes, the record of Windsor chess event were more than one thousand.

Comment

Re : Re: WYCC dates and accommodation

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              .but everyone involved in the process...without exception (organizations, organizers, players and parents) are extremely happy!
              I'd say everyone but the parents... They will still pay for it, but believe me they are very often extremely frustrated by the process.

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
                if there is a rumor saying NAYCC winner can be personal rights player for WYCC,.
                NAYCC winner has personal right for Pan American Youth chmapionship in Brasil.

Comment

Working...
                X