2013 Canadian Open - Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Round 7 - photos and one shock game

Thank you Gilles. All your points seemed good to me.

Comment

Canadian Open PGN available

It took hours to clean them up and add the missing games from the top boards, and Hugh Brodie's help to figure out Short-Sokolov, but the 2013 Canadian Open PGN, with 137 games from all 9 rounds, including all games played by top 5 finishers, is here.
      :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Round 7 - photos and one shock game

Personally, not speaking for the organizers, I agree with all three points.

The only one I'd care to qualify is the third: we didn't find out there'd be no Monroi at the Open until 2 days before, so our expectation that there would be 20+ games per round instantly available live online didn't happen, and several of us had (unexpectedly) to work many more hours to get the PGNs available as soon as we did.
        (BTW I just posted a PGN with 137 games from all 9 rounds, including all games played by top 5 finishers, and almost all the games played by the GMs. You can DL it from the event website.)

Re Wiki page for games.
        Has this been tried? Can you give some links so we can see how well it worked?

This would be much easier than keying in games, but I suspect it would not be nearly as complete or fast as any of us chess fans would like. Here's why:
        I know from my experience with CYCC players and parents and many adult players, that a lot of players will not contribute games to databases unless they are forced to do so (by collecting carbon sheets, or using Monroi devices or DGT boards). The usual reason offered is that they don't want to make it easier for their opponents to prepare against them.

I'm also confident that (almost) none of the titled players would be willing to spend time between rounds keying in their games and posting them to the web so their opponents can prepare more easily. Short, Sokolov, et al, get paid for their chess, they don't give that stuff away for free unless they have to.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Round 7 - photos and one shock game

There's nothing as painful as entering games of a youth tournament. Kids tend to be quite distracted and often forget lots of moves, making it extremely hard to put together the games... MonRoi are incredibly useful for this.

Comment

Working...
          X