NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

CMA Regional Coordinator and Chief Organizer of the 2013 North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC), Francis Rodrigues, has managed to put additional spice to this great event in the last few days....new FIDE (World Chess Federation) regulations which took effect July 1, 2013, has allowed for all kinds of international norms...provided the tournament is 9 rounds. Okay, so Francis has turned a 7-round event into a 9 round event overnight...and the participants still pay the incredibly low entry fee of $95 (including HST)!

This is an event you will not want to miss...entry fees go up July 20...Don"t miss out!

http://chess-math.org/toronto/naycc/

Larry Bevand
    Executive Director
    Chess'n Math Association

Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

We have 177 players listed on our website...and we received another 11 entries online since then....so we are now at 188 players. There are still a few days left to register. Price goes up on Saturday July 20, 2013. Go to www.chess-math.org for complete details.

Comment

Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

That's fantastic news Larry! Francis is a real dynamo and a pleasure to work with. I am looking forward to all 9 rounds!!

Comment

given the crazy tie break debate for the CYCC, do you have a well defined tie-break for the NAYCC. i didn't see the methodology on the website

Comment

Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the even

Great job! I can't wait to be there :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            CMA Regional Coordinator and Chief Organizer of the 2013 North American Youth Chess Championship (NAYCC), Francis Rodrigues, has managed to put additional spice to this great event in the last few days....new FIDE (World Chess Federation) regulations which took effect July 1, 2013, has allowed for all kinds of international norms...provided the tournament is 9 rounds. Okay, so Francis has turned a 7-round event into a 9 round event overnight...and the participants still pay the incredibly low entry fee of $95 (including HST)!

This is an event you will not want to miss...entry fees go up July 20...Don"t miss out!

http://chess-math.org/toronto/naycc/

Larry Bevand
            Executive Director
            Chess'n Math Association
            I believe that in order to have the norms valid, all the sections have to have at least 10 players for mandatory 9 rounds.

Comment

Hi Andrei,

We will look into it and report back shortly. Thanks for the info. Better to know now than after :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                That's fantastic news Larry! Francis is a real dynamo and a pleasure to work with. I am looking forward to all 9 rounds!!
                I echo Hal's great words about Francis, an incredible Organizer! I am also looking forward to a SUPER-NAYCC! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Hi Andrei,

We will look into it and report back shortly. Thanks for the info. Better to know now than after :)

Larry
                  Hi Larry,

I am sure someone can confirm that easier. A similar thing happened at the last Canadian Women when after several withdraws by some players, the norms were not available anymore.

Meanwhile I am convincing more and more US players to join :-)

Andrei

Comment

Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the even

The problem is that 9 rounds have to be played for a zonal. I guess it's the same for the NAYCC. Unfortunately, players withdrew from the last Women's Closed once they had no chance of title (which we found extremely disappointing), so that nobody could get the titles. We ended up with some players that had byes and thus weren't eligible to receive titles. I'm not sure if combined sections would be eligible in the case of the NAYCC. Also, the Women's Closed was a round-robin, so it was harder to avoid byes if someone withdrew. In the case of a swiss, it might be easier for the arbiter.

Comment

The only way to prevent (or at least discourage) withdrawls from RR events is to request deposits from each player - to be refunded after they have played all their games.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                        T Unfortunately, players withdrew from the last Women's Closed once they had no chance of title (which we found extremely disappointing), so that nobody could get the titles.
                        Who were the players Felix? Did they have medical reasons or just turn around and left?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of

I don't want to name anyone. Some players left because they had no norm chances and didn't see the interest in staying a week in Montreal (I can't tell if they managed to get a refund for the hotel). At least one player though clearly said that if she couldn't have a WIM title, why would anyone? As I said, we were all pretty disappointed. If we had known we would have probably asked for a deposit or something like that. Still, people enjoyed the tournament, even without titles :)
                          Anyway, this is not the good thread for that. I'm sure Larry and Francis will find a way to allow norms and titles for all sections.

Comment

We just cracked 200 entries!

Our website shows 190 players and with what we received overnight, we are now just over 200 entries. Still 3 days to register at the early bird rate :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                              I believe that in order to have the norms valid, all the sections have to have at least 10 players for mandatory 9 rounds.
                              Hi Andrei, not sure if you confirmed your point, so allow me to confirm that yes, 9 PLAYED rounds are mandatory.

In addition, some others have emailed Francis with various questions. I'm responding to all of them this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X