2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

The 2013 North American Youth Chess Championship, organized by the Chessn Math Association (CMA), and scheduled for Toronto from August 14-18 will set a new attendance record. Presently our website shows 248 players ( www.chess-math.org ) and once all the registrations are processed from overnight there is little doubt that we will be over the 274 player record set in 2011....and that weeks before the event is set to begin!

Francis Rodrigues, organizer of the event for the CMA, will be trying to find additional space as we feel 400 players is within our reach at this time!

There are already 70 players from the U.S. signed up!

Larry

Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

9 games for $95 and IM title/norm opportunity is a pretty good deal for parents. :)
    Very good move to make it a 9 rounds tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
      9 games for $95 and IM title/norm opportunity is a pretty good deal for parents. :)
      Very good move to make it a 9 rounds tournament.
      Good points Rene ... and behind the scenes, Francis is just rocking it! Looking forward to seeing you there! :)

Comment

With 17 days to go, we are now at 301 registered players! They are coming from Costa Rica, Haiti, Mexico, the U.S.A and Canada. Don't miss out as this event is held in Canada only once every 3 years. Go to www.chess-math.org

Comment

I recognize a lot of our Scarborough Chess Club juniors in the pre-registered list! With all this extra practice, these kids will be that much harder to play against in the coming season at SCC :D

Comment

I'm assuming you'll have to use FIDE ratings for pairings. Will be nice to see a pre-registered list showing the FIDE ratings (after the August 1st update).

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
              I'm assuming you'll have to use FIDE ratings for pairings. Will be nice to see a pre-registered list showing the FIDE ratings (after the August 1st update).
              Hi Rene, as this event has age sections (as opposed to rating sections), we have determined a series of guidelines for which rating to use, based on where players are from. If not already posted (Francis is getting a thousand things done!), these guidelines will be posted on the NAYCC website shortly. The current intent is to capture all ratings, especially "slowest time control" ones, as of August 8th, or when the CFC ratings are done that week.

If after the ratings&rankings guidelines are posted, you have further questions, please feel free to ask myself.

Best regards, Aris.

Comment

Could you sort a pre-reg list by the last name (after Section)?

"Roster changes after July 20 will be charged $30" - what does it mean? (switching sections?)
                Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 25th July, 2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                  Hi Rene, as this event has age sections (as opposed to rating sections), we have determined a series of guidelines for which rating to use, based on where players are from. If not already posted (Francis is getting a thousand things done!), these guidelines will be posted on the NAYCC website shortly. The current intent is to capture all ratings, especially "slowest time control" ones, as of August 8th, or when the CFC ratings are done that week.

If after the ratings&rankings guidelines are posted, you have further questions, please feel free to ask myself.

Best regards, Aris.

do you have a procedure to verify the age of participants. i've heard some participants may not be in the right section, and the USCF does not verify age when getting FIDE numbers- they basically take the word of the player, since it doesn't affect the USCF.
                  to avoid any potential conflict later i think somehow one should verify age.

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Also, sorry if it has already been asked, but what are the tie-breaks? I assume no play-off games will be played, as the closing ceremony is at 6 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                      Also, sorry if it has already been asked, but what are the tie-breaks? I assume no play-off games will be played, as the closing ceremony is at 6 PM.
                      The tiebreaks are already determined (by Hal, Aris, and Francis), they would be posted when Francis gets a chance.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

The tiebreaks are already determined (by Hal, Aris, and Francis), they would be posted when Francis gets a chance.
                        i see they have updated the tie break info, Thx. i especially like #5. but i would note if #4 is part of the tie-break. you should remind people to bring proof of #4 to avert controversy.

TIE-BREAKS:

1.Direct encounter (head-to-head).
                        2.Median Buchholz 2 (Modified median).
                        Swiss-Sys implementation: Of the two median tiebreaks, this is the more standard now. It evaluates the strength of a player's opposition by summing the final scores of his or her opponents and then discarding either the highest of these scores, the lowest, or both, depending on the tied player's score. For players who tie with even scores (that is, their number of wins and losses is the same), both high and low are discarded. For tied players with plus scores, only the lowest is discarded, and for players with minus scores only the highest is discarded. For tournaments of nine or more rounds, the top two scores are discarded (or the bottom two scores, or all four, as determined by the same even/plus/minus criteria above). These scores are adjusted for any unplayed games, which [may] count a half point each. If the player involved in the tie has any unplayed games, they count as opponents with adjusted scores of 0.
                        3.Sonneborn-Berger.
                        4.Date of birth (younger player).
                        5.Random blind e.g. coin flip.

Comment

Best regards, Aris.
                          Hi Aris,

In order to make sure the group has 9 games, I would change this:

SECTIONS (age as of Jan 1, 2013):
                          Under 8 years old, under 10, under 12, under 14, under 16, under 18. Open and Girls sections. Sections with less than 8 players may be combined at Tournament Director's discretion.
                          with this:

SECTIONS (age as of Jan 1, 2013):
                          Under 8 years old, under 10, under 12, under 14, under 16, under 18. Open and Girls sections. Sections with less than 10 players may be combined at Tournament Director's discretion.
                          Andrei

Comment

Hi Andrei, actually, I would like to make the "optional" cutoff to an even higher number, especially if an odd number.

Lemme check with Hal ...

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Hi Francis / Aris,

Please try to update the ratings for all the players as there are less than two weeks now to commencement

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X