Quebec Open : Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Open : Day 1

This year, all the results and pairings of the Quebec Open are on Chess-Results :
    http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN
    This website includes several features, such as statistics and live results.

Live games are available here : http://lavariante.ca/dgt_direct/tfd.htm

Invitational section:
    With 54 players and an average FIDE rating of 2324, this section is probably one of the strongest ever in Canada. 12 GMs, 13 IMs and 13 FMs are playing. Unfortunately, two GMs had to cancel their participation at the very last minute, including GM Hansen who needs to get ready for the World Cup, so the tournament could have been even stronger!

FQE president:
    The FQE president, Bernard Labadie, managed to beat the current Quebec kindergarten champion in round 2 and kept his honor intact ;)

Pictures:
    I took some pictures, but I must admit that Rene Preotu took much better ones. Until I find a better camera, here’s the link for his pictures :
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1059778...at=directlink#

Mini-COQ:
    The FQE organizes a small tournament at the same time as the Quebec Open. It’s a 4 rounds tournament (two between the participants of the Mini-COQ and two with the other players of the Quebec Open). There is a prize fund of $600 and the entry fee is only $30!
    Here are the winners this year (please note that the prizes are non-official until the arbiter confirms them) :
    Jeroen Struben 4/4 : $300
    Roman Sarrazin-Gendron and Sang Kil Kay 3.5/4 : $150

FQE AGM:
    The AGM of the FQE was held yesterday. The main subjects of discussion, besides the 2013 financials, were the 2017 WYCC and other potential projects. All the members of the executive were re-elected.
    Results:
    Secretary
    Vital Roy 24
    Sang Kil Kay 23

Vice-president
    Pierre Hébert 30
    Ronald Thibault 15
    Paul Lalonde 5
    15 votes were discarded

Game of the day:
    We had some troubles while entering the games from the first two rounds, but we hope to have them entered by tonight. After that, we'll be able to give a PGN file after each round.
    Here's our favourite game so far from the first day (it was pretty hard to choose one!).
    [Event "COQ 2013"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2013.07.21"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Sokolov, Ivan"]
    [Black "Panjwani, Raja"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "E49"]
    [PlyCount "67"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 O-O 5. Bd3 d5 6. a3
    Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 dxc4 8. Bxc4 c5 9. Bb2 Qc7 10. Bd3 b6 11. Qe2 Nbd7 12. Nf3 Bb7
    13. e4 c4 14. Bc2 e5 15. O-O Rfe8 16. d5 Nc5 17. a4 Ba6 18. Nd2 Nfd7 19. Ba3
    Nb7 20. Bb4 Ndc5 21. Qe3 Rac8 22. f4 Nd3 23. Bxd3 exf4 24. Rxf4 cxd3 25. Raf1
    f6 26. Rg4 Qd7 27. Qg3 Kh8 28. Rh4 Qf7 29. Qh3 Qg8 30. Rf5 Rc7 31. c4 Nc5 32.
    d6 Rf7 33. Bxc5 Bc8 34. Bd4 1-0

Upsets of the day :
    There were quite a lot of upsets today. Here are some of the most impressive (you will notice that two upsets are from the same player):
    Round 1:
    1 GM Bruzon Batista Lazaro 2689 ½ - ½ Adithya B. 2301
    3 GM Rozentalis Eduardas 2619 ½ - ½ FM Rodriguez Eric 2290
    4 IM Calugar Arthur 2282 1 – 0 GM Kovalyov Anton 2606
    7 GM Sambuev Bator 2530 0 - 1 Preotu Razvan 2277
    9 GM Arencibia Walter 2526 ½ - ½ FM Hamilton Robert 2251

Round 2:
    8 IM Wang Richard 2377 1 - 0 GM Vera Reynaldo 2462
    12 Preotu Razvan 2277 1 - 0 FM Oliva Castaneda Kevel 2423

Special thanks:
    There are lots of people working very hard for this tournament, and it's important not to forget it.

Tournament director :
    Richard Berube

Arbiters :
    IA Pierre Denommee
    FA Danny Goldenberg
    Bernard Ouimet
    Alexandre Ber
    Raymond Desjardins

Volunteers :
    Daniel Pregent
    Pierre Hebert
    Marc Poulin
    Vital Roy

Employees of the FQE :
    Roman Sarrazin-Gendron
    Louis Morin

DGT:
    Luc Forget
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Monday, 22nd July, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Re: Quebec Open : Day 1

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    There were quite a lot of upsets today. Here are some of the most impressive (you will notice that two upsets are from the same player)

12 Preotu Razvan 2277 1 - 0 FM Oliva Castaneda Kevel 2423
    I didn't know it was possible for Razvan to upset a 2400 :p

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      the Quebec Open are on Chess-Results :
      http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN
      This website includes several features, such as statistics and live results.
      You may even include PGNs to chess-results (and it will have a viewer too :)

Comment

Re : Re: Quebec Open : Day 1

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
        Razvan is definitely the fastest improving junior in Canada right now, but at least on paper, it's still an upset :) However, I wouldn't be surprised if he obtained his FM title after this tournament.

Thanks Egis, I didn't know that. We'll try to do that tonight.

Comment

Also, I just counted 267 players on Chess-results. It's slightly less than last year, but it's definitely nothing to be ashamed of, especially since many players had to cancel their participation because of visa issues.
          Last edited by Felix Dumont; Monday, 22nd July, 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
            In round 1, Razvan Preotu 2277, defeated a 2530, a GM, on board 7.

Comment

Added some photos from rd.3

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059778...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                Thanks for the photos and the video giving a sense of the size of the wonderful playing hall: high ceiling, glass wall and columns - Whose portrait is behind the glass wall? I love the blue tablecloths, too bad not enough for all tables. Is a player allowed to bring a banana onto one of those tablecloths? When I played in Amsterdam they installed carpeting, which helps reduce noise.

Comment

The portrait is (St.) Jean de Brebeuf (1593-1649) - after whom the school is named. The tournament hall was originally the chapel, and the glassed-in area was the altar. It's now a Brebeuf library with collections of documents related to him. The chapel pews are now scattered throughout the building.

Some historical photos: http://www.memorablemontreal.com/pri...&menu=histoire

(the 6th photo shows the tournament hall as it would have appeared in the 1930's)

Only recently has the hall had air conditioning installed - the murals high on the walls cover up any evidence.
                  Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Tuesday, 23rd July, 2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    Is a player allowed to bring a banana onto one of those tablecloths?
                    No food is allowed in the playing hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                      No food is allowed in the playing hall.
                      How do organizers enforce that?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        How do organizers enforce that?
                        If an arbiter sees someone eating he asks him to put the food away and/or eat it outside the room. I've yet to see someone eating in the playing hall.

Comment

Working...
                        X