The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

The FQE held their annual meeting yesterday. It was reported on the French Chesstalk board that 25 people took part. A bid is being prepared for the 2017 WYCC. I was given a copy of their financial statement for 2012-2013 (ending March 2013). Overall it looks like the finances are sound. They receive over $90,000 a year from the Quebec government which covers salary and rent. They generate another $100,000 in memberships, entry fees, sponsorships etc. For example, they collect about $26,000 in membership fees and another $4,000 in rating fees. They have a net worth of about $90,000 despite having lost about $18,000 this year, mainly due to sponsorship revenue declining from $45,000 to $30,000, sales of stock declining by $10,000, other revenues going down by $10,000 (whatever that is) and tournament entry fees going down by about $7,000 compared to the previous year. Last year they posted a surplus of $32,000.

For my own amusement, I would like to share with you the comments from the accountant who prepared the report - which I have para-phrased: (It was in French so my translation may not be totally accurate): This is an examination and not an audit. We did this according to Canadian regulations for non-profit organisations. We asked for information, analysis procedures and spoke with the organisation with regards to the information provided by them. We did not find anything abnormal with regards to the important aspects.

Signed by the accountant on July 12, 2012...hmmm...he forget to change the date on his template from 2012 to 2013....oh well :)

BTW, I honestly believe that the FQE books are in order. But I did find this funny :).

Larry

Re : The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Hi Larry,
    There was no real loss in sponsorship this year. A few sponsors gave their money last year, but it was also to be used for this year (but it only appeared in last year's financials). The same goes for some non recurrent expenses (material, databases and website). No need to say that the governement wouldn't really like the FQE to make $30 000 of profit every year.

Comment

Re: Re : The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Hi Felix,

I am not an accountant. If the CMA receives money for next year in advance, I enter it as a "percu d'avance" (is the English translation "Received in advance" ...help I am losing my English LOL?) and I do not consider it a revenue until the year it is intended for....Much in the same way as the FQE treats membership dues which cover 2 financial years...but like I said..I am not an accountant. Anyway, I think the FQE is doing a good job so please do not consider this as being negative!

Larry Bevand

Comment

Re: The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        The FQE held their annual meeting yesterday. It was reported on the French Chesstalk board that 25 people took part. A bid is being prepared for the 2017 WYCC.Larry
        It is my understanding that as of 2016, the WYCC will be split into two events, i.e., World Youth U14, U16, U18 Championships and World Cadets U8, U10, U12 Championships. Which one, or is it both, is the FQE making a bid for?

Bon chance on your bid!

Victoria

Comment

Re : Re: The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Our original plan was to hold the whole WYCC, but it unfortunately doesn't seem possible. Instead, we will try to host the 2017 World Cadets (which is bigger than the World Youth).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: The Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) is working on a bid for the 2017 WYCC

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
            Our original plan was to hold the whole WYCC, but it unfortunately doesn't seem possible. Instead, we will try to host the 2017 World Cadets (which is bigger than the World Youth).
            That would have been amazing to have the whole WYCC in Canada! But given a choice, my preference would have been to take the older group, the World Youth. Many of the juniors who I know today will be playing in this older group in 4 years.

Thanks Felix.

Victoria

Comment

Working...
            X