Rating Analysis by Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating Analysis by Experts

I am spending my time on the USCF site tonight :).

I found this report very interesting (they talk about CFC and FQE ratings and conversion for USCF events too) : http://glicko.net/ratings/rating.system.pdf

Re: Rating Analysis by Experts

There are some interesting comments regarding a player's rating floor in the circumstances of a large cash prize. I guess sandbagging is such a significant problem in the USA that it merits a special section of the rating rules.

A player's rating floor can also change if he or she wins a large cash prize. If a player wins over $2,000 in an under-2000 context, the rating floor is set at the fi rst 100-point level (up to 2000) which would make the player no longer eligible for that section or prize. For example, if a player wins $2,000 in an under-1800 section of a tournament, then the player's rating floor would be 1800. Floors based on cash prizes can be at any 100-point level, not just the ones above based on peak rating.
    Too bad for any chess players who think, joking or not, that anti-sandbagging rules could or should be subject to human rights appeals. And the USCF rules make sense here. Why award a player $2,000 for winning an under-1800 section and then let them do it again once their rating "drops" enough points to put them in the same rating class again? Cheaters shouldn't prosper.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Read with interest. Thanks for sharing.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

Too bad for any chess players who think, joking or not, that anti-sandbagging rules could or should be subject to human rights appeals. And the USCF rules make sense here. Why award a player $2,000 for winning an under-1800 section and then let them do it again once their rating "drops" enough points to put them in the same rating class again? Cheaters shouldn't prosper.
        I didn't know you would be so easily upset.

In the real world, cheaters tend to prosper, killers go free not guilty so they aren't, light sentences and plea bargains seem to be routine.

If you want to argue to the HR some senior should conform to a mathematical fomula set for a person in their intellectual prime go ahead. Let me know ahead of time. I'd love to be there to watch that. I'll try to keep a straight face while you explain "sandbagging" and how it applies to the senior.

I notice events don't even require "seniors" to be 65 which tends to recognize playing skills deteriorate at a younger age. Doesn't help making a sandbagging claim.

Personally, I think it's not about sandbagging because if there were no prize there wouldn't be a problem. It's about money and a perception of who should be winning that money.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Paul, I thought you and I had an agreement on my rating. Will it be done anytime in the near future?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Kodos to the Americans for getting it right. Perhaps with the larger prizes that goes with the larger population, they're more experienced with this sort of thing.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Here's an example of what happened under the U.S. rating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Bloodgood
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, I thought I'd see your rating updated this morning but it must be pretty far down the priority list for our one man office. Looks like Michael had quite a few events to rate.
                I sent another reminder.
                Paul Leblanc

Comment

Gary, I expected your rating to be re-set to zero this morning but the office is probably busy. I sent another reminder.
                  Paul Leblanc

Comment

Why do you reset to zero? Don't rewrite history. Otherwise will you do the same with other ladies and gentleman who stopped playing?

Comment

Ok. Maybe next week, Paul.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Edgid, If someone has spent more than 35 years in a different aspect of chess and achieved the success I have, they might have a point.

By the way, don't call me a gentleman. I don't like it. :D
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Edgid, If someone has spent more than 35 years in a different aspect of chess and achieved the success I have, they might have a point.
                          you had ~30 years to prove your OTB ability too :P

By the way, don't call me a gentleman. I don't like it. :D
                          I might if you will start to write my name correctly LOL

Comment

-------------------------
                            Last edited by Gary Ruben; Friday, 26th July, 2013, 04:24 PM.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Edjid, I'm at a complete loss as to what all this has to do with you.
                              I am entitled to express my opinion. If you don't like it, it is your problem. No need to go in a personal attack. Thus, I will not answer your questions. Unless you'll learn to type my name correctly LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X