Question for CFC and Organizers of 2013 CYCC & CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Question for CFC and Organizers of 2013 CYCC & CO

This might be why the venue was not as expensive for both tournaments :

The CYCC was held at the Sheraton, while the CO was held at the Westin Harbour Castle (which was probably more expensive).

Comment

Re: Question for CFC and Organizers of 2013 CYCC & CO

Also - the 2011 CYCC was held at a Sheraton in Richmond Hill - some distance north of Toronto - roughly equivalent to Laval compared to Montreal. Rates would tend to be cheaper.

PS - there was a Quebec Open held at the Sheraton Laval in 1984 - I was (I think) chief TD. 367 players.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Also - the 2011 CYCC was held at a Sheraton in Richmond Hill - some distance north of Toronto - roughly equivalent to Laval compared to Montreal. Rates would tend to be cheaper.
        I think the Richmond Hill location might be closer by road to the main Toronto Airport than a downtown Toronto location would be. Probably some here could give a better idea as I don't live in Toronto.

The last time I was in Ottawa in the summer they rolled up the sidewalks around 6 or 7 PM. Had to cross the river for some fun.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          The last time I was in Ottawa in the summer they rolled up the sidewalks around 6 or 7 PM. Had to cross the river for some fun.
          There are some good restaurants which are open til 2 am serve their full menu until after midnight.... foodie and chessplayer Peter Hum told me about one.

But I live in Gatineau, across the river from Ottawa, and was stunned at how hard it was to find a place to eat in Ottawa on Sunday between rounds 2 and 3: every restaurant in the area was closed until 5 p.m. It was like Toronto, 30 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            It was like Toronto, 30 years ago!
            Yeah, Toronto was pretty dull on Sunday back then and decades earlier. The chess club used to have a dedicated speed chess crowd which turned out to play. Rumour has it there was always a case of beer in the warm weather but I couldn't possibly comment. :D
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I seem to remember our old friend John Kohlfurst carrying the odd case of beer into Macey Hall on Sundays...
              I was too young to legally drink, but I noticed that the case was easier to carry later in the evening... ;)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes. I seem to recall that as well. :D We got the hall after AA on Sundays so the idea was not to get there too early. We tried to get the tables set up before the members came.

I used to do maintenance work at the building where John lived so dropped in on him from time to time after I stopped playing.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X