Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Gorky's Wisdom

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    I certainly enjoy your experiences in Siberia and look forward to your next installment of the Chess Tigers.

At the suggestion of Miss HatchetHead, I made a Safari to OZCHESS.COM. You can imagine my complete surprise upon finding my writings had been violated like a parking meter. Someone had posted my writings on the Chess Tigers under his own name. It appears to be a copy and paste.

Having played some of the finer Australian Correspondence Chess players, like Stephen Kerr and Dr. Clive Barnett, it seems incomprehensible it would be necessary to lift my compositions (ramblings) for a repost without giving me credit for creativity (such as it is).

Coach Gorky would not be pleased! Certainly he would have stressed the importance of originality and the use of ones own brain. It would appear he had his work cut out for him.

Certainly, when I make the trek to Siberia to search for the remains of the Chess Tigers it will make a good topic for conversation.

I have dispatched HatchetHead to Alaska to explore the possibility of crossing over to Russia from there. Ms. Palin, the U.S. vice-presidential candidate, claimed she could see Russia from there, or possibly it was from her back yard. I can't recall which. If this proves to be true the possibilities are endless. Can you imagine her calling out into the distance: "Hey Putin, whatcha doing for dinner tonight".
    I will take this up with the authorities and demand that they investigate fully! Thank you for bringing this to my attention Gary.
    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
    http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
      I will take this up with the authorities and demand that they investigate fully! Thank you for bringing this to my attention Gary.
      I do thank you for your undertaking to investigate. Perhaps the plagerists would benefit from my next lecture. It will be titled: Prayer: What's in it for me.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The oldest Siberian Chess Tiger recently had a 'flashback'!

Originally posted by Axiom
        Some weeks ago whilst sat at the computer I took a moment to reflect on something or another when I happened to focus on a clear glass tumbler left on a glass topped table next to the window.

The sunshine streamed in, through the glass tumbler onto the glass table, at such an angle as to display a dazzling diaspora.

Becoming lost in the kaleidoscope of colours, mesmorised, transfixed, hypnotised I fell into a trance state, only to awake several hours later .......

YES ! You guessed it , I HAD AN SCT FLASHBACK !!!

The first one for over a year, can you believe it?

I hastily scrapped together notes of what I had gleaned from the flashback, and having procrastinated long enough (although I do find going back to these times somewhat traumatic) I am happy today to finally record for you its contents.

But first a RECAP (for new readers):

I Axiom am one of the last surviving known members of the highly secret SCT (Siberian Chess Tigers), a group formed to research and promote chess based on a foundation of truth, respect, liberty and honour in 1948 by a generous but anonymous benevolent billionaire, in Krasnoyarsk Siberia.

Plucked from school by talent scouts I was enrolled into the city's notorious but essential chess camps in the early 1950s. From there I was selected by the prestigious SCT, and coached by the irrepressible rascal Bresislan Gorkiananov, who installed in us a free thinking approach to both chess and life, and who was violently opposed to soviet communism, and their philosophy and treatment of chess itself.

During the break up of the SCT some time in the late sixties I was implanted with a brain chip, designed to suppress all memory of the SCT .

It is only in recent years have I been able to recover and piece together the happenings of that time through the medium of a flashback type phenomenon. Which somehow seems to bypass the function of the implant.
        The recap you are reading right is only made possible because of these rare flashbacks!

So without further ado I welcome you all, SCT and non SCT fans alike.

Sit back , get yourself a cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or green tea or whatever or predilection and Relax with the Ax as he takes you back,back to the glorious and wonderous days of The Siberian Chess Tigers.

Masters of the Tundra.
        Warriors on the Edge of Time.
        Agents of Fortune
        Of the Sublime Design.
        -Siberian Chess Tigers

The beautiful dignified grace of the sublime design:-
        The Siberian Tiger
        OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News

Comment

More from Axiom.

Originally posted by Axiom
          What did the SCT wear ?

A commonly asked question , i can now answer.
          Summer(!?) : Full length black leather coat , crisp collared white shirt , black suede boots , and aviator mirrored sunglasses. ( We thought we looked really cool,....and to be perfectly frank , .....we were ! :)

It was the 50s , and the influence of James Dean on us was apparent.

Winter : same , except with black woolen jumper , and heavy woolen under garments. ( Which reminds me, whenever i suffered a chess form slump, ol' Gorky would say " Don't worry as long as you don't get snow get down the back of your pants" , which always seemed to lift my spirits and get me focused again)
          Team captain would have siberian tiger fur trimming on the lapel and cuffs of his coat . All team members had a solid gold pin worn on the shirt or coat , over the heart , of a tiger holding a king in it's mouth.( The SCT symbol , the same as the tattoo on the back of the chess piece-moving hand)

But as Gorky used to say "the most important thing you wear is your scoresheet". He said "remember , no matter how cold it is travelling home after a game, if you win with style your scoresheet kept next to your skin will keep you warm "

Training Techiques

For those well read on the SCT , you will no doubt recall the use of "Burn Rooms" as a means to program the mind more suitably for the playing of chess .
          Well, besides burning the "chessboard" into the neural circuits, what were some of the videos that were shown ?

Music combined with images were skillfully employed so as to engender specific brain wave states ,conducive to either preparing for a chess game or winding down after a game.

I found the "wind down" tapes particularly useful , as i found it difficult to settle the adrenaline levels post battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I don't know who or what prompted the West Coast style of play. They have a lot of 1. g3 or 1. ... g6 players. I've played that style of chess but it numbs the brain and kills the appetite for chess. It seems to me most players who employ mainly that opening and defense lose interest in chess well before their 60th year. Understandably so.
            Hmmm, the answer is Duncan Suttles and the reason that so many players usually quit well before the 60th year is that there are so many outdoor activities here to participate in that they can usually be found playing golf, sailing and skiing, the first two 12 months a year (in January registration opens for softball leagues, and field hockey, soccer, and rugby carry on all winter). In other parts of Canada most huddle in chess clubs daring from time to time to peer out the window at the raging blizzard outside. Spent last week-end raking the lawn in +12 C temperatures.

Comment

thank you Alex. I have just joined this site and have never hear about the Siberian Chess Tigers before. This has been extremely informative and has riveted me to my seat for so long that I am developing a cramp in anticipation.

Incidentally, I was born in Belgium the very year that the Tigers were formed. I did not know that until I read your post above.
              ________
              AR50
              Last edited by Henry Blaszczak; Thursday, 20th January, 2011, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Blaszczak View Post
                thank you Alex. I have just joined this site and have never hear about the Siberian Chess Tigers before. This has been extremely informative and has riveted me to my seat for so long that I am developing a cramp in anticipation.

Incidentally, I was born in Belgium the very year that the Tigers were formed. I did not know that until I read your post above.
                Well its important that the story of the amazing Siberian Chess Tigers is told, so i am glad you have enjoyed it so far. Sometime this week another chapter will be revealed, so stay glued to your chair.

Comment

Working...
                X