Corsi forfeits due to misunderstanding start time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsi forfeits due to misunderstanding start time

Peruvian Jorge Cori forfeits playoff game to Radjabov apparently due to misunderstanding the stated start time
    (in English? - not his native language).
    Apparently he is appealing the decision, but Susan Polgar tweeted that she is personally guaranteeing the $500 appeal fee...
    more to come I am sure.
    Seems he arrived 'early' but was actually just over a minute late! Of course, there is a zero tolerance late rule in effect.
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 13th August, 2013, 02:14 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling of Cori.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Corsi forfeits due to misunderstanding start time

Zero tolerance rule is the dumbest rule since the CM and WCM titles became achievable
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
      Zero tolerance rule is the dumbest rule since the CM and WCM titles became achievable
      Both came direct from the space ship...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Both came direct from the space ship...
        The Inner Galactic Chess Federation does not have that Zero Tolerance rule.

What's a light year between friends?

My dog, Beware, doesn't like the players chances on the appeal. Once bit, twice shy is the order of the day.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          The Inner Galactic Chess Federation does not have that Zero Tolerance rule.
          What's a light year between friends?
          My dog, Beware, doesn't like the players chances on the appeal. Once bit, twice shy is the order of the day.
          If Cori wins the appeal, can Radjabov appeal the appeal? For another $500?

[edit: actually, I recall Susan Polgar tweeting that the appeal committee decision is final, but does that mean Radjabov cannot appeal anything at all about this situation? Strange]
          Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 13th August, 2013, 02:57 PM. Reason: more speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            If Cori wins the appeal, can Radjabov appeal the appeal? For another $500?
            Probably they will be playing late into the night if he wins the appeal or the next round pairing will be held up. It doesn't seem likely. Also, when you make one exception ....
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Probably they will be playing late into the night if he wins the appeal or the next round pairing will be held up. It doesn't seem likely. Also, when you make one exception ....
              Well, this is a knock-out format, so I think the pairings are known in advance (the winner of Radjabov-Cori plays X - the only person who doesn't know yet who his next opponent -of the two- it will be.) But I understand the inertia you mention about making one concession... it is almost always easier to deny the appeal - I am not even sure they have to give any reason or explanation (if the latter, I hope it is not in English only)

Comment

I don't know if the appeal will be denied and am guessing at the result. I don't know how FIDE works their appeals.

When one of my decisions was appealed in CC, I had to submit a written report supporting the decision I had made. I never had the ICCF overturn one of my decisions but some IA's did.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The appeal was denied. The forfeit stands.

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/new...ee-j-cori-case

Apparently, he thought the round started at 6:50 rather than 6:15 (likely a misunderstanding on his part)
                  and when he saw players sitting down for games on the live internet feed, he rushed to the tournament
                  hall but arrive around 2 minutes late...
                  Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 13th August, 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

That's quite sad. And you have to understand that for most non-english speakers, fifteen and fifty do sound very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                      That's quite sad. And you have to understand that for most non-english speakers, fifteen and fifty do sound very similar.
                      Exactly. I believe that was Susan Polgar's take on the situation too. Interesting tweet this morning from Kasparov:

"I have zero tolerance for FIDE's zero tolerance policy! Forfeiting a kid at the most important event of his life for being a minute late?"

Of course, Garry has an axe to grind, but the zero tolerance rule is stupid.

Comment

The decision of the arbiter was correct as he enforced the rules. I also think the problem is with the rule.

Possibly using a wording like "may" forfeit the player would be an idea. It would allow an appeals committee (and the arbiter) some room to decide if an exception was justified. However, it's not zero tolerance with that kind of wording.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Would you feel the same if he showed up 1:01 late under the old rules?

I seriously don't understand the hate for this rule. There's an absolute latest time possible you can show up and not be forfeited under either rule. Whether it's 1 minute after the game starts or 61 minutes should make no difference. No matter how you look at it, there's a point at which one minute, you're fine to play, one minute later you're forfeited.

As for this particular case - if the extent of his investigation into when the next round was involved asking someone in a language he didn't know, I have trouble feeling that much sympathy. There are plenty of spanish speaking people at this event, and I'm sure the participants were given some sort of written schedule. I promise you that when I attend the most important events of my life, I take extreme care in determining what time they start at.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                            Would you feel the same if he showed up 1:01 late under the old rules?

I seriously don't understand the hate for this rule. There's an absolute latest time possible you can show up and not be forfeited under either rule. Whether it's 1 minute after the game starts or 61 minutes should make no difference. No matter how you look at it, there's a point at which one minute, you're fine to play, one minute later you're forfeited.

As for this particular case - if the extent of his investigation into when the next round was involved asking someone in a language he didn't know, I have trouble feeling that much sympathy. There are plenty of spanish speaking people at this event, and I'm sure the participants were given some sort of written schedule. I promise you that when I attend the most important events of my life, I take extreme care in determining what time they start at.
                            I think the problem is chess tournaments have been historically lax when it comes to starting the game and so when they switch from a setup that everyone has become accustomed to one that is so harsh not even professional sports will do (I don't think I've ever seen a Blue Jays game start at 7:00 on the dot, they always give a few minutes leeway, most times it starts at 7:07pm). Additionally, I don't think any professional sports team has ever been forfeited for being a couple minutes late to start the game. Lastly, the only reason FIDE set up this retarded rule is to fall more in line with professional sports (same reason why they have a dress code and all that nonsense), which is obviously failing as I don't think any progress has been made since their implementation.
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Exactly! Well said, David.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                              X