Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

Recently, Felix Dumont posted the game Sokolov - Kovalyov from the 2013 Quebec Open round 5 here:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...0950#post70950

In this post, Felix comments that this game is "definitely a must-see if you are looking for an example of precise GM play."

A little earlier this year, in this post,

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...9839#post69839

Felix says "If I caught someone playing like (Borislav Ivanov) while I am a TD, I would disqualify him on the spot. There's no need to do further investigations..."

Borislav Ivanov is a supposed chess cheat. The evidence against him is not that he was caught with any electronic device (despite some efforts, that has not yet happened). Instead, the evidence is superficial: based on statistical comparisons of computer engine moves versus Ivanov's moves, and declaring that there is too close a resemblance between the two. Dr. Kenneth Regan, an occasional poster here, has gone to great lengths to procure such evidence using his own computer analysis, and has apparently concluded Ivanov is guilty as charged. I remind readers that such work by Dr. Regan does serve a possible ulterior motive of enhancing Dr. Regan's professional status, given that he is a computer professor and researcher at a Buffalo university. It is even possible that Dr. Regan may be vying to be the judge and jury of last resort for chess federations everywhere, perhaps even for a fee. None of this is proven, but computer statistics may some day bear it out... LOL, "hoisted by his own petard".

Getting back to Felix Dumont: the first thing that is wrong here is that Felix is praising "precise GM play" while simultaneously saying that playing too precise should disqualify someone on the spot, no further investigations needed. Obviously there is a disconnect there.

I got to wondering with respect to the Sokolov - Kovalyov game, just HOW precise was it? I decided that the first weekend I had free I would run the moves through Stockfish 2.3.1, rated approximately 3200 ELO.

Well, folks, the verdict is in. I analyzed moves 9 through 53 for both White and Black (45 moves total for each side). Depending on where one draws the line on such superficial methods, Sokolov can be suspected of cheating. But the real shocker is that Felix' hero, Kovalyov, was MOST DEFINITELY cheating... if you are one of those who believes in these methods.

Now, keep in mind, one doesn't have to be emulating Houdini's top choices to be cheating. There are probably many dozens of computer engines all rated over the 3100 ELO level, high enough that if any one of them could be used by a third party to supply moves to a tournament player during a game, that player should easily win the game. This makes clear one of the major problems with catching such cheaters if they are really out there avoiding detection of their electronic devices: the sheer number of 3100+ ELO engines, and the fact they all differ by some degree on their choice of moves, makes the whole prospect a combinatorial nightmare. How do we possibly test each and every engine, given that the cheater may choose one less conspicuous than Houdini?

The engine I used, Stockfish 2.3.1 which is freely available, is rated around 3200 at normal tournament time controls. In my analysis, I had it analyze to at least 24 plies... and if that was too quick, I had it continue on to as high as 29 plies.

I can supply anyone who requests it the Excel spreadsheet that contains my results. But here is the summary:

Number of moves analyzed: 45 per side

List of Stockfish 2.3.1 Move Rankings Actually Played From Moves 9 to 53 Inclusive:

Sokolov (W): 3,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,1,1,1,2,2,4,1,2,1,1,2,2,1,8,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,4,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,8,1,1,1,12,1
    Kovalyov (B): 1,1,2,2,1,1,1,12,1,2,2,3,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1

For those unfamiliar with top-3 methodology for detecting engine use, top-1 is the percentage of positions where the 1st engine choice was played, top-2 is the percentage of positions where either the 1st or 2nd engine choice was played, etc.

Sokolov
    Top 1 Match: 30/45 66.7%
    Top 2 Match: 39/45 86.7%
    Top 3 Match: 40/45 88.9%

Kovalyov
    Top 1 Match: 35/45 77.8%
    Top 2 Match: 42/45 93.3%
    Top 3 Match: 44/45 97.8%

Kovalyov's numbers definitely lie in the cheating zone for those who believe in the integrity of such data. Only one of Kovalyov's moves was not in Stockfish's top 3 choices. Black's move 16 was the outlier, but even that move, Stockfish's 12th choice, was only ranked 0.40 points below Stockfish's top choice. Less than half a pawn. A perfect opportunity for a cheater to slip in such an outlier to try and avoid suspicion should anyone actually do this kind of analysis.

Now, let it be known that I am not personally accusing Kovalyov of cheating in this game. But Felix Dumont, Nigel Hanrahan, Tom O'Donnell and Kenneth Regan all need to respond to this data with the very action that they would expect of others: a formal accusation against Kovalyov for cheating, a demand that he refund his prize monies for the event and that he be suspended for some significant period. In Felix's own words, "There's no need to do further investigations."

Ok, gang: time to put up or shut up. If organizers everywhere are to start prosecuting these cases, you can start right now with one of your own.

Personally, I think Kovalyov just played a very computer-like game. Perhaps he does it a lot. And I know that none of the above named Gang of Four are going to accuse Kovalyov, even if they do their own analysis and come up with the same result. They just don't have the backbone to stand up to their own convictions (excuse the pun).

When it comes to this whole matter of computer cheating in chess, the first $64,000 question is: how precise is too precise? Or in other words, where is the line drawn between cheating and just playing an amazing computer-like game of "precise GM play"?

This is the question that the likes of Felix Dumont, Nigel Hanrahan, Tom O'Donnell, and even Dr. Regan will not and presumably cannot answer. Or they might say something like "we need more than just one game of evidence." But keep in mind, a cheater may not be cheating in every game of an event. They may save their cheating until the penultimate or the last round, when the money is on the line. This kind of cheating could be going on right now under everyone's nose. If Kovalyov did cheat, he chose a prime opponent to do it against. As long as it MIGHT be happening in events around the world right now, using any one of over 100 computer engines, picking and choosing key games to cheat in, chess is stained.

And the next $64,000 questions is: who gets to look at the numbers and decide each individual case?

P.S. I will in the weeks to come do a similar analysis using the same engine and settings of one of Ivanov's supposed cheating games, and when done, I will post the numbers. Or if someone else has that engine and the time, go ahead and post your results.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Re: Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

I'd like to think that you'd have to look at quite a few games in order to have a statistical basis for declaring cheating.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

how about just do away with money prizes, reduce incentive to cheat at any one event

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

This is the question that the likes of Felix Dumont, Nigel Hanrahan, Tom O'Donnell, and even Dr. Regan will not and presumably cannot answer. Or they might say something like "we need more than just one game of evidence." But keep in mind, a cheater may not be cheating in every game of an event. They may save their cheating until the penultimate or the last round, when the money is on the line. This kind of cheating could be going on right now under everyone's nose. If Kovalyov did cheat, he chose a prime opponent to do it against. As long as it MIGHT be happening in events around the world right now, using any one of over 100 computer engines, picking and choosing key games to cheat in, chess is stained.
        Of course one game is not enough. They didn't fire the teachers caught answering questions for their students on the standardized tests based on one or a handful of results. Only the stupidest cheaters will be caught via only matching moves vs a computer because presumably they are so weak that every move they play on their own might lead to disaster and therefore they are afraid to deviate. I already wrote that a couple of times that if some 2500 found a foolproof way to evade detection and "only" cheated in critical positions, and then only in critical games, I think it is unlikely that they would ever be caught by only perusing their games, or at least not for many, many years. They might be caught by being unable to answer questions in post-mortems, though.

A good example of that happened to me yesterday. One of my students (a pre-teen roughly 1600) during an online lesson started playing some awfully strange, strong moves. When I asked him to explain why he played these moves his answers were extremely vague and in many cases just wrong. I asked him point-blank if he was consulting a computer and he sheepishly admitted it. The typical chess player will not get away with cheating for long (my student didn't last a dozen moves) because for experienced players it is easy to detect via the moves AND the behaviours surrounding those moves.

I do concede that Ivanov should never have been tried in the court of ChessBase. The Bulgarian Federation should have handled it internally, imo.
        Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Wednesday, 14th August, 2013, 12:49 AM.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
          how about just do away with money prizes, reduce incentive to cheat at any one event
          Chess players have to make a living somehow
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Great post, Paul. Merely making good moves should not be considered proof of cheating!

Comment

Re : Re: Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

This is ridiculous.
              1) This is one game, not a dozen like for Ivanov.
              2) Kovalyov is already a strong GM, so we expect him to play good moves.
              3) When the live retransmission stopped working, Ivanov suddenly started losing his games. In this case, there was a problem in the live retransmission at the middle of the game, and Kovalyov continued playing as well.
              4) Many of the moves are forced. I'm still a patzer (2150), but I was watching the game live and had the same moves as Kovalyov about 75% of the time (and nearly all in the top 3)..
              5) Would he have really played Stockfish 12th favourite move (a blunder) if he cheated?
              6) The moves are all logical. Ivanov was in situations where any player, from a rating of 1000 to 2800, would have played something else. Only a computer could do that.
              Do you really know how to play? Seriously. If you had a basic idea, you would know what's the difference between someone who cheats and someone who doesn't...

I shouldn't feed the troll, but this is so ridiculous. Please go back to high school, get some basics in statistics, and come back.
              Last edited by Felix Dumont; Wednesday, 14th August, 2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                3) When the live retransmission stopped working, Ivanov suddenly started losing his games. In this case, there was a problem in the live retransmission at the middle of the game, and Kovalyov continued playing as well.
                Felix, of the 6 points you list, this is the only one I consider evidence of cheating.
                If I were the TD, I would see that the live transmission was "interrupted" on anyone I suspected of cheating. And then see what happens!
                Even better, if you could feed wrong moves into the transmission, and then see what happens!
                This maybe the creative methods needed to get the evidence needed. If not, then apologies to the players.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/2...-chess-3-.aspx

"... I showed the position to a number of players in Wijk aan Zee, and all gave me simple wins – for instance 31.Rxb7, 31.Rd7 or even 31.Rxf6. Remember, the first time control is looming and tournament victory is in grasp.

So what does our hero play? 31.Qa7?!! “Fritzy!” squealed Anand and went into uncontrollable fits of laughter when he saw this and the following moves (I filmed his mirth and included it in my multimedia report in ChessBase Magazine 69). He and the other players immediately recognised the “hand” of the computer. ..."

"... Here Kalinitschev resigned. While they were shaking hands Allwermann couldn't resist mentioning that the final position was mate in eight. “I don't think so,” said Kalinitschev. “Check it out, you'll find I'm right,” replied Allwermann with a wry smile. ..."

"... On a PentiumII-400 with 64 MB hash tables Fritz 5.32 finds a mate in nine – you have to deduct the initial black move when you announce it as a mate for White.

I showed the position to a number of players in Wijk – nobody was able to spot the mate. Vishy Anand said that if I had asked him with no prior information he would have guessed it is mate in about fifteen moves. Otto Borik, the editor of Schachmagazin, showed the position to players, including many GMs, at a team championship match. They couldn't find a mate either. Borik tried to work out all the lines. He says they would fill an entire issue of his magazine. Here are some critical variations: 41...Qe8 42.Qf5 Qc8 43.Qf4 a5 (43...Qxg4+ 44.Qxg4 Rxg4 45.Kxg4 Kg7 46.Kh5 a5 47.Rf8 a4 48.R1f7#; 43...Qc5 44.Rf8 Qh5+ 45.Kg2 Qg6 46.Rxg8+ Qxg8 47.Qd4+ Qg7 48.Rf8#; 43...Qe8 44.Rf7 Rg7 45.Qd4 Qe5 46.Nxe5 Rg3+ 47.Kxg3 Kg8 48.Ng6 hxg6 49.Qg7#) 44.Rf7 Rg6 45.Rf8+ Qxf8 46.Qxf8+ Rg8 47.Qxd6 a4 (47...Rxg4 48.Rf8+ and 49.Qf6 mate) 48.Qe5+ Rg7 49.Rf8#. Only Fritz is sure it's mate – after running through 33.117 million positions."

http://www.chessvibes.com/dortmund-k...ng-in-the-open

"...In other news, IM Jens Kotainy was disqualified today from the open tournament, where seven rounds had been played. Christian Goldschmidt posted the following text in the Facebook group against cheating in chess:

I am the Tournament director of the Sparkassen Open in Dortmund. We disqualified Jens Kotainy today from the tournament, because of Computer Cheating. We claimed his cell phone before the round today. Coincidentally we determined that his turned-off(!) cellphone made morselike vibrations.
                  Soon afterwards an official statement in German was put up on the homepage of the Sparkassen Chess Meeting which confirmed the above. It mentions that Kotainy was leading the tournament with 7 out of 7, and because he had been accused of cheating at previous events, the arbiters and organizers had him under special observation.

In the Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, Goldschmidt is quoted:

We noticed irregularities. After each move, he put his hand in his left pocket."... "

It isn't only the moves. It is the totality: the moves plus the behaviour.

In Ivanov's case a number of opponents have noted his strange behaviour at the board. Further, Ivanov claimed he could beat Houdini 10-0. If he could do that then at least some of his moves shouldn't match the computer's.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I've looked through Ken Regan's summary of the Ivanov affair (http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/ch...and-report.pdf), and its obvious to me that Ken has a deep, nuanced understanding of the complex issues involved in estimating the probability that a player has cheated.

From Paul's analysis I sense something different: a profound understanding of straw men.

Comment

Regarding that game, my 16th move (I think it was Qd7) wasn't that weak, actually I still think it was the best move in that position.
                      Regarding Borislav Ivanov there is no need in banning him, no organizer will let him in in his/her tournament anyways, unless it is some kind of trap to catch him...
                      Regarding realizing who is a cheater or who is not, a good chess understanding is necessary, since there are many factors, other than checking games with an engine, to take into account.
                      Anyways I think the best cure for cheating is prevention. Cheap surveillance cameras and some kind of detection devices would discourage any potential cheater...

Comment

The original post at the start of this thread is slanderous. Somebody in a GM position would have put so much dedication into the game and has so much vested in it that one should not make such a serious accusation without overwhelming evidence. I have often wondered if cheating with a pocket computer is that different from discussing a game with a fellow player during a tournament in those pre-computer days as the opportunity would always have been there and is still there. I don't think increased surveillance and counter cheating technology would work. First, it would just create an "arms race" where the cheats will always find a way to beat the latest measures and second it could dramatically increase the cost of holding tournaments if you start using xray machines and metal detectors and cameras.

I think ultimately the only way to save our beloved game may be to remove the money out of it and leave it to the true enthusiasts. (Like other board game competitions ). We could still keep a financial incentive at the very highest levels where there will be more scrutiny per player and the players would already have had to prove themselves in non-monetary competitions.

Comment

By detection devices I did not mean anything fancy... I'm quite sure there are a lot of cheap options for under 50 bucks. And of course there is no need to check everyone, just a warning that a random check can happen would suffice. And I only mean this for classical chess tournaments with decent prizes.
                          Concerning this idea of removing money from tournaments, as a solution for cheating and saving chess, I have no comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Alistair View Post
                            The original post at the start of this thread is slanderous. Somebody in a GM position would have put so much dedication into the game and has so much vested in it that one should not make such a serious accusation without overwhelming evidence. I have often wondered if cheating with a pocket computer is that different from discussing a game with a fellow player during a tournament in those pre-computer days as the opportunity would always have been there and is still there. I don't think increased surveillance and counter cheating technology would work. First, it would just create an "arms race" where the cheats will always find a way to beat the latest measures and second it could dramatically increase the cost of holding tournaments if you start using xray machines and metal detectors and cameras.

I think ultimately the only way to save our beloved game may be to remove the money out of it and leave it to the true enthusiasts. (Like other board game competitions ). We could still keep a financial incentive at the very highest levels where there will be more scrutiny per player and the players would already have had to prove themselves in non-monetary competitions.
                            No, Dan, it's not slanderous/libelous. Paul made it clear that he doesn't believe that Anton cheated. Paul was simply being consistent with his other posts on this topic by pointing out how easy it would be to incorrectly, and therefore unfairly, label someone a cheater if the only thing you're relying on for (so-called) evidence is the degree of correlation between the player's moves and the moves selected by some chess engine. No offense intended, Dan, (you're not the only one to miss Paul's point) but I really don't understand why so many people are having such a difficult time understanding Paul. Even Anton Kovalyov makes a point similar to Paul's in another post in this thread, viz.: "Regarding realizing who is a cheater or who is not, a good chess understanding is necessary, since there are many factors, other than checking games with an engine, to take into account."

I do like your last paragraph. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I certainly did not mean to support Paul. I meant that such "cheating reports" should be made by people who do understand chess, and things like Felix and Tom mentioned should be included, specially these key moves part that analyzes a specific move and why it is so unlikely it can be found by a human (this again can only be done by someone who has decent chess understanding). Also factors such as previous performances, playing style, whether the suspect plays each move at the same time rate, etc... can be important. Thus I think the proof against Borislav Ivanov is too overwhelming, but I don't think it matters anymore, no organizer will let him play anymore.
                              From what I've read in some of Paul posts I am quite convinced he barely knows the basic rules of chess, but yet he argues about things he doesn't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X