Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Cheating on Superficial Evidence: Time to Put Up or Shut Up

Originally posted by Kovalyov Anton View Post
    Chess is not a single move game, nor it is a chance game. Every strong computer move is a result of calculating millions of complicated positions, that prove why this move is good. If someone plays every single move, no matter how complicated or simple it is, at a constant rate of 5-10 sec/move, while everything seems to work out great, then something is certainly wrong, but there also other quite convincing proofs against Ivanov.

I'm not a number person nor I'm good in statistics, but as far as I know the number of different positions possible after just the first 10 moves equals a 30 digit number. There is no such thing as patterns in computer games. Given today's technology if you try to study chess by checking out and remembering the best possible moves in every possible position, it will take you several billions of years...

If you are so interested in chess, go out and play some games with real people, try some blitz tournament, maybe buy some good chess books, and if you like it, take some lessons. After this, I assure you that you will be laughing at yourself while remembering your chess related arguments in this site. From this moment I will abstain myself from explaining further how chess actually works and how chess players actually think during a game, to someone who evidently has no clue.

You are now arguing against your previous argument: that someone who understands chess can identify "computer moves". My reply to that was that if someone outside the actual game can do it, someone PLAYING the game can do it.

Now you try and use combinatorial mathematics to prove that NO ONE can do it. You don't know if you're coming or going.

Ivanov could have identified something that no one else did: that if you play the computer enough, withdrawing totally from distractions for say 6 months and also from playing human opponents, you can learn to emulate the computer in every TYPE of situation. It isn't a case of memorizing positions and moves. It's a matter of pattern matching, which is exactly how chess players think. Maybe not every person can do it, but Ivanov claims he has done it and there is no one who can disprove that right now. To disprove it, you'd have to have many people repeat his steps and they'd all have to fail, and even that would only make it very unlikely rather than totally impossible.

Be advised that if you argue against this, you are arguing against the scientific method. Felix Dumont tried that and made himself (a scientist wannabe) look silly.

Also remember that I am very open to the possibility that Ivanov has been cheating. That's the way I swing: keep an open mind. So I give credence to both Ivanov and to his detractors. But you can imagine my displeasure with people who keep their minds closed, and why my favorite quote of all time is "There are none so blind as those who WILL not see." You may be able to teach me things about chess (although I have played chess competitively before and have read books on theory), but I could likewise teach you things about life.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      With chess engines it's called the horizon effect.
      I don't know if you are trying to be funny, but you need to learn about programming.

Comment

I would have to see the games before judging, but it looks like a bad call from ICC.

First, a 77% match is extremely low, a lot of games have higher matching rates without any computer assistance.

And given the ratings, I'd say your son had at least a 5% chance of winning all games. So you have to assume that things like that will happen at some point.

The only thing that remains is if your son played some crazy computer lines to help him in critical positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
          The only thing that remains is if your son played some crazy computer lines to help him in critical positions.
          I think he was crazy enough to play lower rated players LOL Was it some kind of a money tournament?

Would the ICC remove (C) if he would loose 7 games in a row? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
            I don't know if you are trying to be funny, but you need to learn about programming.
            There are many things I need to learn. Today I'm working on learning Day Trading.

In the game at the WC, Eric Hansen had a position where he had a bishop and his opponent had 3 pawns as compensation. Someone commented Houdini had the bishop being superior. I was watching on the site which had no computer output and I commented I preferred the pawns. That's because I had an idea how the ending would play out past the point where the engine was analyzing. That was all I needed to know.

What possible reason could I have for wanting to learn how the engine was programmed when I know the weaknesses?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Alistair View Post
              Do we know 100% the speed of light, no.
              Yes. We know. Because some years ago it was decided to fix it at 299 792 458 m / s. (The metre was redefined.)

Comment

Egis,

Such a designation can be remembered for a long time. It might be better to simply stop playing there.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Such a designation can be remembered for a long time. It might be better to simply stop playing there.
                  did not get :/

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    I think he was crazy enough to play lower rated players LOL Was it some kind of a money tournament?

Would the ICC remove (C) if he would loose 7 games in a row? LOL
                    It was in the 5-m pool, you have no option on who you play with. I was watching him play the whole time and when he stopped I asked him why and he told me he wasn't allowed to play rated games. I thought it was a joke and next thing I know, he got the computer label the next day. Completely unprofessional misconduct by ICC and I have already messaged speedtrap a couple times, talked to fpawn there but a case like this clearly shows they have no idea what they're doing and are relying solely on statistical analysis and without any of the human element. I'm sure if there was a competent player checking the games, they would not have made the same decision.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                      It was in the 5-m pool, you have no option on who you play with. I was watching him play the whole time and when he stopped I asked him why and he told me he wasn't allowed to play rated games. I thought it was a joke and next thing I know, he got the computer label the next day. Completely unprofessional misconduct by ICC and I have already messaged speedtrap a couple times, talked to fpawn there but a case like this clearly shows they have no idea what they're doing and are relying solely on statistical analysis and without any of the human element. I'm sure if there was a competent player checking the games, they would not have made the same decision.

No! You can't blame it on "relying solely on statistical analysis" because Felix Dumont, the expert, says that is the cure to cheating! LOL

Even if a site like ICC or the new FIDE Arena were to start off by having a human element in order to avoid these mistakes, you can bet your sweet ass they would ditch the human element at the earliest opportunity to save costs. Don't for one minute think FIDE Arena won't be making these exact same mistakes.

I don't fathom how any self-respecting human being of decent intelligence (let's call him Bindi) would allow some corporate entity to make decisions affecting Bindi's life, with Bindi knowing that the decisions are made using methods unknown to him, the decisions cannot be appealed, and the decisions affect Bindi's reputation and standing in the world. IMO, Bindi allowing this to happen is Bindi becoming a Pawn in a game of chess. Bindi and others like him need to learn to have some backbone.

There should be an organized boycott of all these entities making these "secret police" decisions. Money talks! FIDE Arena is only going to be free for a short time; if the time comes for people to pay up and only a tiny group of spineless people actually do it, FIDE will realize they made a terrible mistake.
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Supplemental:

Cat DNA, which is much less specific than in humans, has been used to obtain a murder conviction. Hairs from the murderer's cat were found on a curtain wrapped around the victim's body. This 1-in-a-hundred probabilistic evidence, along with other evidence, was used to convict the killer.

100 to 1. And that's evidence in regard to a murder conviction.

See for yourself: Pet cat's DNA helps convict owner who killed his friend.
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          No! You can't blame it on "relying solely on statistical analysis" because Felix Dumont, the expert, says that is the cure to cheating! LOL

Even if a site like ICC or the new FIDE Arena were to start off by having a human element in order to avoid these mistakes, you can bet your sweet ass they would ditch the human element at the earliest opportunity to save costs. Don't for one minute think FIDE Arena won't be making these exact same mistakes.

I don't fathom how any self-respecting human being of decent intelligence (let's call him Bindi) would allow some corporate entity to make decisions affecting Bindi's life, with Bindi knowing that the decisions are made using methods unknown to him, the decisions cannot be appealed, and the decisions affect Bindi's reputation and standing in the world. IMO, Bindi allowing this to happen is Bindi becoming a Pawn in a game of chess. Bindi and others like him need to learn to have some backbone.

There should be an organized boycott of all these entities making these "secret police" decisions. Money talks! FIDE Arena is only going to be free for a short time; if the time comes for people to pay up and only a tiny group of spineless people actually do it, FIDE will realize they made a terrible mistake.
                          Paul, can you please appear in real life at a chess tournament somewhere? I think you could really attract a solid crowd. If you bring a hat, you can even collect some free money!
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                            Supplemental:

Cat DNA, which is much less specific than in humans, has been used to obtain a murder conviction. Hairs from the murderer's cat were found on a curtain wrapped around the victim's body. This 1-in-a-hundred probabilistic evidence, along with other evidence, was used to convict the killer.

100 to 1. And that's evidence in regard to a murder conviction.

See for yourself: Pet cat's DNA helps convict owner who killed his friend.

LOL... "this 1-in-a-hundred probabilistic evidence, ALONG WITH OTHER EVIDENCE..."

Nice try, Nigel. And even if 1-in-a-hundred odds were enough by itself to convict, what's happening in chess is lowering the bar even more.

I notice you weren't one of those who made a post to Rene Preotu expressing sorrow or anger at what happened to his son. What do they call that in the military, when innocent civilians get killed... "collateral damage". That's probably how you regard Rene's son.
                            Last edited by Paul Bonham; Friday, 16th August, 2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: proper phrasing
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              "When using RFLP, the theoretical risk of a coincidental match is 1 in 100 billion (100,000,000,000), although the practical risk is actually 1 in 1000 because monozygotic twins are 0.2% of the human population.".
                              That must be wrong. The chance of a match, if one has randomly chosen an identical twin as the first sample, drops only to 1 in 6,000,000,000 (about the world's population) not 1 in 1000.

But you would choose a twin as the first sample, by chance only 1 in 500 times, so the 100,000,000,000 still applies to almost everyone.
                              Last edited by Ed Zator; Thursday, 22nd August, 2013, 10:58 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                              X