World Cup of Soccer 2022: predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup of Soccer 2022: predictions

With the World Cup of Soccer to begin within days, it's time for some predictions!

1) Canada will score at least one goal in its three games, facing Belgium, Croatia, and Morocco. In 1986, the last time Canada qualified, it was shut out in all three matches. However, Canada will not advance to the knockout phases.

2) FIFA will continue to downplay international efforts for it to compensate the thousands of 'guest workers', who suffered enormously while constructing the facilities for the event. Many fatalities and injuries have occurred there, during the past several years. FIFA, reaping vast profits from the event, will reach a new low in public relations. I liked Bruce Arthur's comment, writing recently in the Toronto Star: 'Corruption should be a presenting sponsor for the 2022 World Cup.'

3) No one will be able to drink alcohol legally in Qatar, during the tournament. Various schemes to get around this restriction will no doubt be attempted. Hopefully, we will avoid any executions in Qatar, for drinking illegal alcohol.

4) Brazil will win World Cup 2022.

Oh yes, Canada scored a beautiful goal against Croatia in the opening minutes of the match. But then things didn't go according to plan... Or rather, the Croatian plan :)

Comment

Canada expended tremendous effort at the 2022 World Cup. Their inexperience against top teams eventually showed, to their detriment. We got another goal today against Morocco, and that match was very competitive, against the eventual group winner. We have much to be proud of; qualifying top of our group as we did, to get to Qatar, was very impressive. Lack of sharpness in finishing the many chances we generated at Qatar was the difference. Canada has the players to do much better in 2026, when we will be a co-host in an expanded tournament of 48 players, up from 32.

FIFA is now investigating the Croatian fans' jeering during thqt match of our goalkeeper, who has Serbian heritage; Croatia and Serbia don't get along too well. Canada showed very disrespectful manners when its coach behaved badly prior to the Croatia match.

Belgium and Germany both failed to advance past the group stage at Qatar 2022. Not too many people expected that.

Comment

Morocco, the first African nation to be in a semifinal of the World Cup. What a performance!

Comment

And I think Canada gets a small slice of vindication for its weaker-than-expected performance in Qatar, after seeing both Croatia and Morocco reach the semi-finals from Canada's group!!

Watching the Netherlands vs Argentina match yesterday, I thought the referee was favoring Argentina. Lionel Messi, in particular, got away with a lot, including a number of 'dives', and at least one deliberate hand-ball near midfield, uncalled. What was the referee looking at? Had Messi been sent off, Argentina would have struggled, since their schemes revolve around him in major ways. Argentina's penalty was highly dubious, in my view. Argentina found a way to win, with its goalkeeper splendid in the penalty shoot-out. It was, however, one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen. I was quite disgusted by the high number of fouls from both teams.

My prediction that Brazil would win was shot down by Croatia. I suspect I am not the only one to lose a few dollars on bets!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
            And I think Canada gets a small slice of vindication for its weaker-than-expected performance in Qatar, after seeing both Croatia and Morocco reach the semi-finals from Canada's group!!

Watching the Netherlands vs Argentina match yesterday, I thought the referee was favoring Argentina. Lionel Messi, in particular, got away with a lot, including a number of 'dives', and at least one deliberate hand-ball near midfield, uncalled. What was the referee looking at? Had Messi been sent off, Argentina would have struggled, since their schemes revolve around him in major ways. Argentina's penalty was highly dubious, in my view. Argentina found a way to win, with its goalkeeper splendid in the penalty shoot-out. It was, however, one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen. I was quite disgusted by the high number of fouls from both teams.

My prediction that Brazil would win was shot down by Croatia. I suspect I am not the only one to lose a few dollars on bets!

I've tried watching some World Cup action .... it's so boring when you are used to hockey.

I was watching England vs France. So right at the start of the game, France advanced into the England side, Then suddenly an England player got the ball and he did something very mysterious to me ... he kicked the ball out of the field on the side, where there was nobody at all. It went out of bounds and a France player got to throw the ball in. What does he do? He throws it to the England goalie!

Is this some strange rule I don't know about? I had to stop watching about 10 minutes after that, it was just too pathetic.

I HAVE AN IDEA TO BRING MORE EXCITEMENT TO SOCCER (or if you prefer FOOTBALL):

At each end, instead of just one net, there are 3 nets, all spaced equally along the back line, each the same size as the current net. Now when the ball is along either side, there are way more options that the defense has to handle. A goal can be scored in any one of the 3 nets (and obviously, there are 3 goaltenders per team).

When there is to be a corner kick, only the middle net is eligible for scoring, so the corner kick has to go somewhere in front of that net. But once the ball has been touched in the center area, all 3 nets become eligible for scoring.

Scores would go much higher in this version. I don't think the scores would go as high as lacrosse though.

This could be called Trinity Soccer or Trinity Football.

Comment

Working...
            X