Collapse of Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Your post would have been more informative if you had provided some additional info, e.g.:
    - who is Dr. Cartland? i.e. why should we believe anything he says?
    - what committee is Ratcliffe testifying before and what was the date of his testimony? (Cartland's tweet was dated Nov 27, are we supposed to assume Ratcliffe's testimony was on that date?)
    - according to Cartland, Ratcliffe referred to the Director of National Intelligence in his comments; was he referring to himself in the third person or is there another Director of National Intelligence involved?
    - what is the name of the Secretary of State to whom Cartland refers?
    - what is the name of the CDC Director to whom Cartland refers?
    Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    who is Dr. Cartland?
    Who cares listen to the actual videotaped govt hearing in the link. What a brainwashed idiot you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Who cares listen to the actual videotaped govt hearing in the link. What a brainwashed idiot you are
      "Who cares?" When I listened to Ratcliffe's/Jordan's comments in the link provided by Cartland/YOU, there was only 25 or 30 seconds-worth of info. I didn't hear Ratcliffe say anything about a Secretary of State, or a CDC Director, or a Director of National Intelligence. Where did that information come from?

YOU POSTED THIS SHIT, ASSHOLE. AND YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO ANSWER SOMEONE'S LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS ABOUT INFO THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PROVIDED BY YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE READER'S UNDERSTANDING??

WHO CARES? OTHER THAN YOUR NUMBER ONE FANBOY, NEIL FRAREY, NAME ME ONE PERSON ON THIS SITE WHO ACCEPTS ANYTHING YOU SAY AT FACE VALUE.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

"Who cares?" When I listened to Ratcliffe's/Jordan's comments in the link provided by Cartland/YOU, there was only 25 or 30 seconds-worth of info. I didn't hear Ratcliffe say anything about a Secretary of State, or a CDC Director, or a Director of National Intelligence. Where did that information come from?

YOU POSTED THIS SHIT, ASSHOLE. AND YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO ANSWER SOMEONE'S LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS ABOUT INFO THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PROVIDED BY YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE READER'S UNDERSTANDING??

WHO CARES? OTHER THAN YOUR NUMBER ONE FANBOY, NEIL FRAREY, NAME ME ONE PERSON ON THIS SITE WHO ACCEPTS ANYTHING YOU SAY AT FACE VALUE.

Fuck off you ignorant lying troll
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 1st December, 2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I presented you with an example of how corporations are huge supporters of the food bank in Canada. In fact the federal Govt in 2022 only accounted for 20% of the budget of around 155 million dollars and almost all of of that was in non food products like feminine hygiene products as per your article.
          Here is a significant example of how corporations did for the Food Bank of Canada

“In 2021, the Calgary Food Bank rescued over 640,000 lbs. of food from Loblaws and Walmart stores in Calgary. We’ve received everything from crackers to yogurt to juice, but most importantly, frozen meat! Meat rescued from retail stores is one of our most consistent sources of protein for our emergency hampers. Every person who comes to the food bank for an emergency hamper gets seven to 10 days’ worth of nutritious food for every member of their family. The food that we rescue from retailers like Loblaw and Walmart ensures that people who are facing food insecurity no longer have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. With their generous support, we will be able to continue feeding our community for weeks and months to come.”
          – Avaleen Streeton, Food Coordinator, Calgary Food Bank

https://foodbankscanada.ca/how-you-c...ood-donations/
          I should have specified, I am referring to FOR PROFIT corporations. Charitable and not-for-profit companies don't count in this debate unless you and Dilip are going to argue (LOL) that Libertarianism will have all corporations be charitable or not-for-profit! LOL LOL LOL

FOR PROFIT corporations are what I'm referring to .... and in the case of frozen meat from Loblaws and Walmart, I see it is labelled as "rescued" ... from what, the dumpsters out back? Is that what the the food banks are doing now, dumpster diving?

LOL LOL LOL

Sounds a lot to me like Loblaws and Walmart are not doing anything special, just giving away meat that should be thrown out, forcing hungry families to eat foods that are possibly dangerous to their health!

Welcome to Libertarianism!!!! (choke, gag) For the poor, dumpster diving finds are our specials of the day!

You can label me and anyone else a communist, but you are far worse .... A NEFARIOUS HYPOCRITE! LYING THROUGH YOUR TEETH, PRETENDING TO CARE ABOUT EVERYDAY CITIZENS! All BS!!!!!

This is interesting because just 2 weeks ago I caught my local Sobeys selling brand name cheese that was 4 MONTHS PAST ITS EXPIRY DATE.... see pic below that I took in the store and presented to the manager. This is not the first time this has happened.

Yes folks, the Sobeys and Loblaws and Zehrs and Walmarts are so fucking focused on profits they will sell you food that can make you sick!!!

This must be the foods they are "rescuing" to give to the food banks! I'd say LOL but this is NOT funny.

Pic taken 2 weeks ago, so mid-November, expiry date for the cheese is July 15 2023....

And it wasn't just this one box, there were about 6 of them with the same expiry date.

And this has happened before, I am now threatening to expose this news to the media....

The pic is in my phone with the date it was taken.

By the way, I will also add that Sobey's and probably all the others have food bank bins at the front of their stores for people to donate food ... that is, to first BUY THE FOOD then put in in the food bank bins. THIS is likely the food that these stores "donate" ... it is BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY CUSTOMERS AND DONATED BY CUSTOMERS. I know, I've donated this way myself the past few years.

I wonder if Sid Belzberg or Dilip have donated as much as a stale donut that the birds wouldn't eat!

The fact that these stores would then take credit for these donations is reprehensible! In addition to the "rescuing" of expired food that they can't sell.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sobeys_Selling_Cheese_4_months_past_Expiry_Date_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	230615
          Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Saturday, 2nd December, 2023, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Fuck off you ignorant lying troll
            The last refuge of the scoundrel.... Dilip and Sid, the twin scoundrels who just need a third and there can be a new Three Stooges. Any Libertarians want to join them?

Comment

• Pargat,
              Personal attacks and insults at those who disagree with you is what trolls and those who aspire to be bullies do. So listen to the advise Newsom gave to DeSantis in their recent debate and stop demeaning personal attacks on others.
              https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wat...d-ron-desantis
              Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Saturday, 2nd December, 2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I should have specified, I am referring to FOR PROFIT corporations. Charitable and not-for-profit companies don't count in this debate unless you and Dilip are going to argue (LOL) that Libertarianism will have all corporations be charitable or not-for-profit! LOL LOL LOL

FOR PROFIT corporations are what I'm referring to .... and in the case of frozen meat from Loblaws and Walmart, I see it is labelled as "rescued" ... from what, the dumpsters out back? Is that what the the food banks are doing now, dumpster diving?

LOL LOL LOL

Sounds a lot to me like Loblaws and Walmart are not doing anything special, just giving away meat that should be thrown out, forcing hungry families to eat foods that are possibly dangerous to their health!

Welcome to Libertarianism!!!! (choke, gag) For the poor, dumpster diving finds are our specials of the day!

You can label me and anyone else a communist, but you are far worse .... A NEFARIOUS HYPOCRITE! LYING THROUGH YOUR TEETH, PRETENDING TO CARE ABOUT EVERYDAY CITIZENS! All BS!!!!!

This is interesting because just 2 weeks ago I caught my local Sobeys selling brand name cheese that was 4 MONTHS PAST ITS EXPIRY DATE.... see pic below that I took in the store and presented to the manager. This is not the first time this has happened.

Yes folks, the Sobeys and Loblaws and Zehrs and Walmarts are so fucking focused on profits they will sell you food that can make you sick!!!

This must be the foods they are "rescuing" to give to the food banks! I'd say LOL but this is NOT funny.

Pic taken 2 weeks ago, so mid-November, expiry date for the cheese is July 15 2023....

And it wasn't just this one box, there were about 6 of them with the same expiry date.

And this has happened before, I am now threatening to expose this news to the media....

The pic is in my phone with the date it was taken.

By the way, I will also add that Sobey's and probably all the others have food bank bins at the front of their stores for people to donate food ... that is, to first BUY THE FOOD then put in in the food bank bins. THIS is likely the food that these stores "donate" ... it is BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY CUSTOMERS AND DONATED BY CUSTOMERS. I know, I've donated this way myself the past few years.

I wonder if Sid Belzberg or Dilip have donated as much as a stale donut that the birds wouldn't eat!

The fact that these stores would then take credit for these donations is reprehensible! In addition to the "rescuing" of expired food that they can't sell.

Click image for larger version Name:	Sobeys_Selling_Cheese_4_months_past_Expiry_Date_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	230615
                The criticism suggesting that the Calgary Food Bank's efforts in acquiring frozen meat from Loblaws and Walmart is akin to "dumpster diving" is not only unfounded but also undermines the importance and integrity of food rescue initiatives. These comments display a lack of understanding about how food rescue operations work and the strict standards of food safety and quality they adhere to.

Firstly, it's crucial to understand that "rescued food" refers to food items that are perfectly edible and nutritious but might not be sold due to various reasons such as overstock, nearing sell-by dates, or minor packaging flaws. This is far from being waste or unfit for consumption. The food banks' collaboration with retail stores involves a systematic and dignified process of collecting and distributing these items, ensuring they meet all safety and health regulations.

Labeling such important work as "dumpster diving" is not only disrespectful but also ignores the positive impact these efforts have on communities. Food banks, through their partnerships with corporations, play a crucial role in reducing food waste and addressing hunger. They ensure that surplus food reaches those in need, rather than going to waste. Criticizing these efforts without understanding their significance or operational procedures is both unfair and counterproductive.

Moreover, this viewpoint overlooks the broader issue of food insecurity and how collaborations between food banks and for-profit corporations can be a part of the solution. Such partnerships are essential in creating a sustainable model where surplus food is used effectively to support those in need, rather than contributing to the growing problem of food waste.

In summary, the efforts of the Calgary Food Bank and their corporate partners in rescuing and distributing food should be applauded, not belittled. Their work is a testament to community collaboration and responsible resource management, aiming to address the pressing issues of hunger and food waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                  And your so-called reference is only political BS written by a Biden stooge who has vested interests in SNAP....
                  I'm trying to figure this out. For those who may be reading but who aren't aware, you're referring to Dottie Rosenbaum. Rosenbaum has an extensive background in dealing with food insecurity issues, among other things, from long before Biden became President. She's probably a great person to have in her current position. So when you denigrate her by calling her a Biden stooge, are you doing that because you have a personal objection to Rosenbaum? Or is this a more generalized objection to appointees; e.g. Trump's appointees were all Trump stooges to you?
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I'm trying to figure this out. For those who may be reading but who aren't aware, you're referring to Dottie Rosenbaum. Rosenbaum has an extensive background in dealing with food insecurity issues, among other things, from long before Biden became President. She's probably a great person to have in her current position. So when you denigrate her by calling her a Biden stooge, are you doing that because you have a personal objection to Rosenbaum? Or is this a more generalized objection to appointees; e.g. Trump's appointees were all Trump stooges to you?
                    Peter,
                    She did not explain what exactly and why the GOP were suggesting.... just went on rambling numbers without any reference to the potential benefit to society by eliminating those who abused the system, from free stuff paid for by hard working others...

Comment

The criticism suggesting that the Calgary Food Bank's efforts in acquiring frozen meat from Loblaws and Walmart is akin to "dumpster diving" is not only unfounded but also undermines the importance and integrity of food rescue initiatives. These comments display a lack of understanding about how food rescue operations work and the strict standards of food safety and quality they adhere to.

Firstly, it's crucial to understand that "rescued food" refers to food items that are perfectly edible and nutritious but might not be sold due to various reasons such as overstock, nearing sell-by dates, or minor packaging flaws. This is far from being waste or unfit for consumption. The food banks' collaboration with retail stores involves a systematic and dignified process of collecting and distributing these items, ensuring they meet all safety and health regulations.

Labeling such important work as "dumpster diving" is not only disrespectful but also ignores the positive impact these efforts have on communities. Food banks, through their partnerships with corporations, play a crucial role in reducing food waste and addressing hunger. They ensure that surplus food reaches those in need, rather than going to waste. Criticizing these efforts without understanding their significance or operational procedures is both unfair and counterproductive.

Moreover, this viewpoint overlooks the broader issue of food insecurity and how collaborations between food banks and for-profit corporations can be a part of the solution. Such partnerships are essential in creating a sustainable model where surplus food is used effectively to support those in need, rather than contributing to the growing problem of food waste.

In summary, the efforts of the Calgary Food Bank and their corporate partners in rescuing and distributing food should be applauded, not belittled. Their work is a testament to community collaboration and responsible resource management, aiming to address the pressing issues of hunger and food waste.
                      Talk about missing the point!

Your efforts to heap praise on Walmart and Loblaws for donating food THAT THEY CAN'T SELL is ludicrous and pathetic.

IT'S FOOD THAT THEY WOULD THROW INTO THEIR DUMPSTERS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SELL IT!

So big deal, they give it to the Food Bank. It's what any responsible entity SHOULD DO!

They don't get credit for doing what they SHOULD DO. Calgary Food Bank should NOT BE PRAISING these corporates for doing what they should do. In fact, Calgary Food Bank should state that "Walmart and Loblaws did their civic duty in donating their unsellable food items to us." That's it, end of statement.

(Kudos to Calgary Food Bank and other CHARITABLE OR NON-PROFIT ORGAIIZATIONS like them for doing what any FOR PROFIT CORPORATION WOULD NOT DO in caring for those in need and unable to pay.)

I bet NONE of your food is donated by Walmart and Loblaws! You wouldn't buy the food that they donate! You are a regular pathetic customer that they can't sell this food to because it doesn't meet your standards of perfection.

So dumpster diving is appropriate, because if it wasn't donated it would go to the dumpster. THE FOOD HAS TO BE UNSELLABLE BEFORE THEY WILL DONATE IT!

You attempt to paint these corporate scum as angels, and why... because you think corporations are better than government. But donating food that you can't sell is nothing special, not deserving of praise. It's simply what SHOULD be done.

You still remain a hypocrite. I doubt YOU are donating any food from your probably overstocked pantry.....

how much do you weigh, you overstuffed pig? As much as Chris Christie or Ted Cruz? Biggest pigs in politics..... utterly disgusting.

You want some credit, go on a crash diet and donate the food you WOULD have stuffed yourself on! Maybe THEN people will give you some credit!

Not only did you miss the point.... you walked right into the quicksand. Maybe Dilip will try throwing a rope to you, LOL.
                      Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Sunday, 3rd December, 2023, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                        Pargat,
                        Personal attacks and insults at those who disagree with you is what trolls and those who aspire to be bullies do. So listen to the advise Newsom gave to DeSantis in their recent debate and stop demeaning personal attacks on others.
                        https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wat...d-ron-desantis
                        People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

and....

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Talk about missing the point!

Your efforts to heap praise on Walmart and Loblaws for donating food THAT THEY CAN'T SELL is ludicrous and pathetic.

IT'S FOOD THAT THEY WOULD THROW INTO THEIR DUMPSTERS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SELL IT!

So big deal, they give it to the Food Bank. It's what any responsible entity SHOULD DO!

They don't get credit for doing what they SHOULD DO. Calgary Food Bank should NOT BE PRAISING these corporates for doing what they should do. In fact, Calgary Food Bank should state that "Walmart and Loblaws did their civic duty in donating their unsellable food items to us." That's it, end of statement.

(Kudos to Calgary Food Bank and other CHARITABLE OR NON-PROFIT ORGAIIZATIONS like them for doing what any FOR PROFIT CORPORATION WOULD NOT DO in caring for those in need and unable to pay.)

I bet NONE of your food is donated by Walmart and Loblaws! You wouldn't buy the food that they donate! You are a regular pathetic customer that they can't sell this food to because it doesn't meet your standards of perfection.

So dumpster diving is appropriate, because if it wasn't donated it would go to the dumpster. THE FOOD HAS TO BE UNSELLABLE BEFORE THEY WILL DONATE IT!

You attempt to paint these corporate scum as angels, and why... because you think corporations are better than government. But donating food that you can't sell is nothing special, not deserving of praise. It's simply what SHOULD be done.

You still remain a hypocrite. I doubt YOU are donating any food from your probably overstocked pantry.....

how much do you weigh, you overstuffed pig? As much as Chris Christie or Ted Cruz? Biggest pigs in politics..... utterly disgusting.

You want some credit, go on a crash diet and donate the food you WOULD have stuffed yourself on! Maybe THEN people will give you some credit!

Not only did you miss the point.... you walked right into the quicksand. Maybe Dilip will try throwing a rope to you, LOL.
                          When you are proven wrong by pointing out that the Government of Canada has done almost zero to eliminate hunger in Canada, you shift your position and say only corporations do nothing to eliminate hunger, but you are ok with non-profits contributing. How nice of you!

Regarding how much I weigh, I have lost over 50 lbs from my peak and have trended back to normal. You would be surprised to hear that my contribution has been the opposite of feeding people but has been solving obesity and all the attendant diseases that accompany it. Here is an article I recently published on how to solve obesity in a doctor's forum that I am pleased to share here.

You see, obesity is a problem that extends across all economic classes and is not a function of overeating, as I explain below. I appreciate your concern about my health and well-being.
                          Sidney Belzberg
                          Tue, Nov 28, 12:59 AM (5 days ago)
                          to c21x
                          Sugar, the 21st Century Version of Cigarettes
                          By Sid Belzberg

The Historical Context: Shifting Blame from Sugar to fat in the 1950s, a pivotal shift occurred in nutritional science and public health messaging, profoundly influencing dietary guidelines for decades. This shift was catalyzed by researchers like Dr. Ancel Keys, who through his Seven Countries Study, suggested a strong link between saturated fat intake and coronary heart disease. Concurrently, emerging evidence indicated that sugar might also be a risk factor for heart disease. However, the sugar industry, particularly the Sugar Research Foundation (now the Sugar Association), strategically intervened. They funded research to shift the focus away from sugar and onto dietary fat as the primary health concern. This manipulation of scientific discourse was later uncovered through historical analyses, notably highlighted in a 2016 publication in JAMA Internal Medicine. The revelation of these tactics has since served as a stark reminder of how industry funding can influence scientific research and public health policy.

Introduction
                          The comparison between sugar and cigarettes in the 21st century is more than just a metaphor—it's a public health alarm. The pervasive presence of sugar in our diets and its insidious effects on metabolic health are increasingly scrutinized. This article delves into the biochemical underpinnings of sugar's adverse health effects, particularly in the context of metabolic disorders and diseases like cancer and Alzheimer's. We also explore the potential of allulose, a sugar alternative, and its implications for public health and healthcare costs.

The Metabolic Perils of Sugar
                          Sugar and Insulin Resistance: The Prelude to Metabolic Disorders
                          Excessive sugar consumption is a primary driver of insulin resistance, a harbinger of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and numerous cardiovascular diseases. Insulin resistance arises from the persistent elevation of blood glucose and insulin levels, leading to the diminished effectiveness of insulin in glucose regulation.

Cancer: The Warburg Effect and Sugar's Role
                          Cancer cells exhibit altered metabolism, famously known as the Warburg effect, characterized by preferential reliance on glycolysis over oxidative phosphorylation for energy production, even in oxygen-rich conditions. This metabolic quirk is not just a byproduct of cancerous transformation but a critical contributor to cancer cell proliferation and survival. Sugar, as the primary fuel for glycolysis, thus becomes a key player in this scenario. Excessive sugar intake may exacerbate this metabolic shift, potentially accelerating cancer progression.

Alzheimer's Disease: A Metabolic Perspective
                          Alzheimer's disease, often dubbed “type 3 diabetes,” implicates disrupted brain glucose metabolism. The disease is marked by a reduced ability of brain cells to utilize glucose, leading to energy deficits and neuronal dysfunction. This impaired glucose metabolism in the brain is thought to contribute significantly to the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's.

Allulose: A Ray of Hope?
                          The Biochemistry of Allulose
                          Allulose, a monosaccharide, resembles fructose structurally but is metabolized differently. Its potential to modulate glycolysis, particularly impacting enzymes like lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), makes it a compound of interest. By possibly impairing the lactate-producing pathway, allulose could inhibit the energy production in cancer cells, disrupting their growth.

Allulose in Alzheimer's Allulose in Alzheimer's
                          Allulose’s impact on glucose metabolism could be beneficial in Alzheimer's. By offering an alternative metabolic pathway, it might alleviate the energy deficit in brain cells caused by impaired glucose utilization.

A Thought Experiment: Allulose Adoption and Public Health
                          Healthcare Cost Reduction
                          Imagine a scenario where allulose replaces sugar on a global scale. The potential reduction in metabolic diseases could translate into significant healthcare savings. Consider the costs associated with treating diabetes, obesity, and their complications. A shift to allulose could reduce the prevalence of these conditions, slashing billions from healthcare budgets.

Lives Saved
                          Beyond financial savings, the human impact is profound. A reduction in sugar-related metabolic disorders would mean a decrease in morbidity and mortality rates. The potential impact on cancer and Alzheimer's incidence and progression could be substantial, translating into countless lives improved and extended.

The comparison of sugar to cigarettes is not an overstatement but a reflection of the urgent need to address the public health crisis posed by excessive sugar consumption. The exploration of sugar alternatives like allulose offers a promising avenue.As medical professionals and scientists, our role in advocating for dietary changes and supporting research in this field is crucial in shaping a healthier future.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2548255

Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 3rd December, 2023, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Sidney Belzberg
                            Tue, Nov 28, 12:59 AM (5 days ago)
                            to c21x
                            Sugar, the 21st Century Version of Cigarettes
                            By Sid Belzberg

The Historical Context: Shifting Blame from Sugar to fat in the 1950s, a pivotal shift occurred in nutritional science and public health messaging, profoundly influencing dietary guidelines for decades. This shift was catalyzed by researchers like Dr. Ancel Keys, who through his Seven Countries Study, suggested a strong link between saturated fat intake and coronary heart disease. Concurrently, emerging evidence indicated that sugar might also be a risk factor for heart disease. However, the sugar industry, particularly the Sugar Research Foundation (now the Sugar Association), strategically intervened. They funded research to shift the focus away from sugar and onto dietary fat as the primary health concern. This manipulation of scientific discourse was later uncovered through historical analyses, notably highlighted in a 2016 publication in JAMA Internal Medicine. The revelation of these tactics has since served as a stark reminder of how industry funding can influence scientific research and public health policy.

Introduction
                            The comparison between sugar and cigarettes in the 21st century is more than just a metaphor—it's a public health alarm. The pervasive presence of sugar in our diets and its insidious effects on metabolic health are increasingly scrutinized. This article delves into the biochemical underpinnings of sugar's adverse health effects, particularly in the context of metabolic disorders and diseases like cancer and Alzheimer's. We also explore the potential of allulose, a sugar alternative, and its implications for public health and healthcare costs.

The Metabolic Perils of Sugar
                            Sugar and Insulin Resistance: The Prelude to Metabolic Disorders
                            Excessive sugar consumption is a primary driver of insulin resistance, a harbinger of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and numerous cardiovascular diseases. Insulin resistance arises from the persistent elevation of blood glucose and insulin levels, leading to the diminished effectiveness of insulin in glucose regulation.

Cancer: The Warburg Effect and Sugar's Role
                            Cancer cells exhibit altered metabolism, famously known as the Warburg effect, characterized by preferential reliance on glycolysis over oxidative phosphorylation for energy production, even in oxygen-rich conditions. This metabolic quirk is not just a byproduct of cancerous transformation but a critical contributor to cancer cell proliferation and survival. Sugar, as the primary fuel for glycolysis, thus becomes a key player in this scenario. Excessive sugar intake may exacerbate this metabolic shift, potentially accelerating cancer progression.

Alzheimer's Disease: A Metabolic Perspective
                            Alzheimer's disease, often dubbed “type 3 diabetes,” implicates disrupted brain glucose metabolism. The disease is marked by a reduced ability of brain cells to utilize glucose, leading to energy deficits and neuronal dysfunction. This impaired glucose metabolism in the brain is thought to contribute significantly to the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's.

Allulose: A Ray of Hope?
                            The Biochemistry of Allulose
                            Allulose, a monosaccharide, resembles fructose structurally but is metabolized differently. Its potential to modulate glycolysis, particularly impacting enzymes like lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), makes it a compound of interest. By possibly impairing the lactate-producing pathway, allulose could inhibit the energy production in cancer cells, disrupting their growth.

Allulose in Alzheimer's Allulose in Alzheimer's
                            Allulose’s impact on glucose metabolism could be beneficial in Alzheimer's. By offering an alternative metabolic pathway, it might alleviate the energy deficit in brain cells caused by impaired glucose utilization.

A Thought Experiment: Allulose Adoption and Public Health
                            Healthcare Cost Reduction
                            Imagine a scenario where allulose replaces sugar on a global scale. The potential reduction in metabolic diseases could translate into significant healthcare savings. Consider the costs associated with treating diabetes, obesity, and their complications. A shift to allulose could reduce the prevalence of these conditions, slashing billions from healthcare budgets.

Lives Saved
                            Beyond financial savings, the human impact is profound. A reduction in sugar-related metabolic disorders would mean a decrease in morbidity and mortality rates. The potential impact on cancer and Alzheimer's incidence and progression could be substantial, translating into countless lives improved and extended.

The comparison of sugar to cigarettes is not an overstatement but a reflection of the urgent need to address the public health crisis posed by excessive sugar consumption. The exploration of sugar alternatives like allulose offers a promising avenue.As medical professionals and scientists, our role in advocating for dietary changes and supporting research in this field is crucial in shaping a healthier future.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2548255

Nice article, Sid!

Comment

• ChessTalk

Collapse of Civilization
                              (Started: 23/10/30)

Weekly Overview

Notes:
                              1. The “Weekly Overview” of the topic is posted for the benefit of new members who may have come in between the “Weekly Overviews”. It provides an executive summary of the issue for new viewers.
                              2. The Stats of participation are important to allow all to determine the extent of continuing interest. For thread originators//responders they are important to see if the interest no longer warrants the labour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dystopia.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.4 KB ID:	230635

A. Statistics

Week # 5 (23/11/27 – 12/3 [7 days])

(Sometimes Adjusted for no. of days)

A. Weekly Stats:
                              .....................................................2023 Average..........................................................2023 Average
                              Last Week's......Prior Week's........Views/Day..........Last Week's.....Prior Week's......Responses/Day
                              Views/Day........Views/Day.............(5 wks.)............Responses/Day....Resp./Day.......(5 wks.).

…55........................49.......................43.........................4........................5........................4

B. Analysis of Last Week's Stats

Last week's stats are running a bit ahead of those of the prior week, and the 2023 year to date.

It seems that this new non-chess topic has hit an interest point (it is a bit beyond the no. of views per day of our 2 last quite active threads, Human Self-Government, and, Negative Climate Change)....good on the initiator, Bob Gillanders (I started the thread for him).

C. Is Our Civilization Now Collapsing?

Civilizations do not collapse overnight........there is a long, steady, continuous deterioration before hand. Then, all of a sudden, the tipping point has been reached, and we get metamorphosis (Like caterpillar to butterfly, only in reverse!). Either Dystopia, or a new empire rising like the Sphinx from the ashes, sometimes worse than the one it replaces.

Do we care who is going to be in control, as humans battle to survive in an environment more and more hostile to their continued existence (Negative Climate Change; Possible Nuclear War; Pandemics; etc.)? The very collapse of our civilization is on the horizon!

D. Indicia of a Collapsing Civilization

Comment below on what the current evidence is that our world's civilization is now collapsing......we'll add some of your ideas here! If we miss it, remind us:

1. Increasing dependence on private, volunteer Food Banks.
                              2. Increasing "Negative Health" factors, such as obesity (Despite amazing advances in medicine and medical technology).
                              3. An agenda by unknown forces to impose on the World a "New World Order/Great Reset".

Additional Notes:

1. The goal of this thread is not to woodshed an opposing view into submission. Every position is entitled to post as it sees fit, regardless of the kind of, and amount of, postings by other positions. What is wanted is serious consideration of all posts........then you decide.

2. I personally, as the thread originator (After an initiative by Bob Gillanders), am trying to post a new response at least twice per week, but admit my busy schedule means I am sometimes falling short on this. So it is necessary,as is happening, that a number of other CT'ers are posting responses here somewhat regularly.

Bob A
                              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 4th December, 2023, 07:13 AM.

Comment

When you are proven wrong by pointing out that the Government of Canada has done almost zero to eliminate hunger in Canada, you shift your position and say only corporations do nothing to eliminate hunger, but you are ok with non-profits contributing. How nice of you!
                                And how nice of you to admit that Canadian federal government should be doing more to eliminate hunger in Canada, that is a very SOCIALIST point of view.

Oh, that must bite huh? Well then if you want to shift YOUR position, go ahead and urge FOR PROFIT COPRORATIONS in Canada to do more to fight hunger in Canada! LOL

I'll wait for it.... LOL

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                                Regarding how much I weigh, I have lost over 50 lbs from my peak and have trended back to normal. You would be surprised to hear that my contribution has been the opposite of feeding people but has been solving obesity and all the attendant diseases that accompany it. Here is an article I recently published on how to solve obesity in a doctor's forum that I am pleased to share here.

You see, obesity is a problem that extends across all economic classes and is not a function of overeating, as I explain below. I appreciate your concern about my health and well-being.
                                Commendations on your weight loss and work to fight obesity.

If only you could see that widespread obesity, among other societal ills, is encouraged by FOR PROFIT CORPORATIONS (Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lay etc etc etc) and that that is where your fight against obesity, among other societal ills, really lies....
                                Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Monday, 4th December, 2023, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X