Life - How Should It Be Viewed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been giving this a lot of thought, let's see if I can get it right. I present a scholarly paper on the subject matter, which you, BobA, dismiss out of hand, after reading only the first paragraph, the abstract which always contains the conclusion,, not even sniffing at the pages of supporting information and provide absolutely no useful supporting argument of our own, other than a brief tautology, I guess this is how you like to cook up those "commonly agreed upon" facts of yours.

LOL

Comment

• Actually I have done a lot of thinking on LIFE, theologically and philosophically. I also have read on the scientific theory of evolution of life on earth (No, I can't give you sources).

So........no I don't just dismiss others' views out of hand........very poor assessment of me, and you've know me for years as a chess friend........

I happen to disagree, and I do try, it is true, to be succinct and not use jargon.

Bob

Comment

• Life

What is it all about anyway?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork in the Road.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	237320

One Opinion

Matthew McConaughey Motivational Speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbL0X3B4mjg

Bob A

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Life

What is it all about anyway?

Name:	Fork in the Road.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	237320

One Opinion

Matthew McConaughey Motivational Speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbL0X3B4mjg

Bob A
          Thanks for sharing, Bob; inspiring!

Comment

• Life and Luxury

Clint Eastwood

Name:	EastwoodClint.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	237349

This "legendary 94-year old vegan actor has given one of the most important lessons of his life to the younger generations:

"Do not look for luxury in watches or bracelets, do not look for it in villas or sailboats! Luxury is laughing and having friends, luxury is rain on your face, luxury is hugs and kisses. Do not look for luxury in shops, do not look for it in gifts, do not look for it in parties, do not look for it in events! Luxury is being loved by people, luxury is being respected, luxury is having your parents still alive, luxury is being able to play with your grandchildren. Luxury is what money cannot buy."

Quora - Posted by Alessandro 13 on 24/9/3

Comment

• Clint Eastwood is like Alice in Wonderland, he gives advice to others that he rarely practices himself,

He owns the following;
              Luxury Cars

Clint Eastwood has an extensive and diverse car collection that includes: A Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer, which he modified by removing the roof as well a
              • A Ferrari 275 GTB, given to him by Italian producer Dino De Laurentiis

• A GMC Typhoon, a high-performance SUV he mentioned on the Jimmy Fallon Show
              • An Austin Healey 100M, a classic sports car

• A 1955 Cadillac Eldorado Series 62 Convertible, which holds sentimental value as it was bought after his marriage to his first wife, Maggie Johnson

• A 1932 Ford Roadster, a vintage hot rod

• A 1972 Gran Torino Sport, which was featured in his movie "Gran Torino"

• A fully electric Fiat 500e, showing his interest in modern and eco-friendly vehicles
              Mansions and Real Estate

Clint Eastwood owns or has owned several luxurious properties:
              • A Spanish Revival-style oceanfront estate in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, which he lived in from 1981 to 1996 and is currently listed for $21 million. This estate features an interior courtyard, vaulted ceilings, a formal dining room, a gourmet kitchen, a temperature-controlled wine room, and multiple outdoor gathering spaces

• He has investments in real estate, including a significant stake in the Pebble Beach Golf Links, a golf resort in Carmel, California, which he and his partners acquired for $820 million

Other Luxury Interests

In addition to cars and real estate, Eastwood's lifestyle reflects his love for other luxury and leisure activities, such as golf, where he owns a golf course, and his involvement in various high-end business venture

Watches
              Clint Eastwood is known for wearing several notable watches, particularly from the Rolex brand. Here are some of the most notable ones:

Rolex "Root Beer" GMT Master

This is perhaps Eastwood's most famous watch. The "Root Beer" GMT Master, also known as the "Clint Eastwood" GMT, features a two-tone brown and gold bezel. Eastwood received this watch from longtime Rolex executive T. Walker Lloyd. It has appeared in several of his films, including:
              • Firefox (1982)
              • Tightrope (1984)
              • In the Line of Fire (1993)

.Rolex Datejust\

In addition to the GMT Master, Eastwood has also been seen wearing a two-tone Rolex Datejust in more recent years, indicating his continued affinity for Rolex watches.

What a hypocrite!

Comment

• Movie stars and sports figures do extremely little for the betterment of society... less that what a janitor does, and yet the main-stream media glorifies them beyond all proportion, leading to stupid fans pouring out tons of cash to make these guys & gals very, very rich! A sad commentary on our society's norms...
                Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Sunday, 13th October, 2024, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  Clint Eastwood is like Alice in Wonderland, he gives advice to others that he rarely practices himself,

He owns the following;
                  Luxury Cars

Clint Eastwood has an extensive and diverse car collection that includes: A Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer, which he modified by removing the roof as well a
                  • A Ferrari 275 GTB, given to him by Italian producer Dino De Laurentiis

• A GMC Typhoon, a high-performance SUV he mentioned on the Jimmy Fallon Show
                  • An Austin Healey 100M, a classic sports car

• A 1955 Cadillac Eldorado Series 62 Convertible, which holds sentimental value as it was bought after his marriage to his first wife, Maggie Johnson

• A 1932 Ford Roadster, a vintage hot rod

• A 1972 Gran Torino Sport, which was featured in his movie "Gran Torino"

• A fully electric Fiat 500e, showing his interest in modern and eco-friendly vehicles
                  Mansions and Real Estate

Clint Eastwood owns or has owned several luxurious properties:
                  • A Spanish Revival-style oceanfront estate in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, which he lived in from 1981 to 1996 and is currently listed for $21 million. This estate features an interior courtyard, vaulted ceilings, a formal dining room, a gourmet kitchen, a temperature-controlled wine room, and multiple outdoor gathering spaces

• He has investments in real estate, including a significant stake in the Pebble Beach Golf Links, a golf resort in Carmel, California, which he and his partners acquired for $820 million

Other Luxury Interests

In addition to cars and real estate, Eastwood's lifestyle reflects his love for other luxury and leisure activities, such as golf, where he owns a golf course, and his involvement in various high-end business venture

Watches
                  Clint Eastwood is known for wearing several notable watches, particularly from the Rolex brand. Here are some of the most notable ones:

Rolex "Root Beer" GMT Master

This is perhaps Eastwood's most famous watch. The "Root Beer" GMT Master, also known as the "Clint Eastwood" GMT, features a two-tone brown and gold bezel. Eastwood received this watch from longtime Rolex executive T. Walker Lloyd. It has appeared in several of his films, including:
                  • Firefox (1982)
                  • Tightrope (1984)
                  • In the Line of Fire (1993)

.Rolex Datejust\

In addition to the GMT Master, Eastwood has also been seen wearing a two-tone Rolex Datejust in more recent years, indicating his continued affinity for Rolex watches.

What a hypocrite!

A hypocrite calling another person a hypocrite ... is there a word in English for that?

Sid, maybe if the comments quoted by Bob A. and attributed to Eastwood are recent ... maybe the 94 year old is realizing how useless all his luxuries have been.

In that case, maybe he is leading the younger generation to REVOLT against all forms of materialism. That would really shake up the world at a time when the world seems to need MORE AND MORE consumption to survive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                    Movie stars and sports figures do extremely little for the betterment of society... less that what a janitor does, and yet the main-stream media glorifies them beyond all proportion, leading to stupid fans pouring out tons of cash to make these guys & gals very, very rich! A sad commentary on our society's norms...
                    Totally agree with you about sports figures. We keep hearing that famous sports figures are good because they encourage kids to "stay off the streets" and be involved in sports.

Kids should never want to make a living on the streets in the first place! (by "on the streets", I mean drug dealing, pickpocketing, mugging, etc.). It us up to their parents to instill in them some decent values.

In my opinion, all pro sports should be eradicated. Pro athletes should be rechanneled into working for the good of the planet. We can still have exciting amateur sports, including my favorites hockey and tennis.

I encourage anyone to only support AMATEUR sports. Do not pay $$$ to attend Toronto Make Believes or Toronto You Pays games. Oh yeah and Toronto Raptunes.

For movie stars, not quite the same thing, because often they are portraying roles that expose the evil nature of society. However, given my beliefs about evil in human society (necessary for our spiritual growth), nothing that movie stars or anyone else does will change anything, but if they feel better for trying, good for them.

But Dilip, what you wrote goes against your libertarian beliefs, doesn't it? If these movie stars and athletes are getting rich, they are doing exactly what "smart and hard working" businesspeople are doing. After all, libertarianism does NOT judge the businesses themselves ... only the P&L statements .....

Comment

• Hi Pargat:

You: on the topic of evil: "evil in human society (necessary for our spiritual growth)".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Satan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	237385

Interesting point of view........I'm sorry, but I can't remember from your posts, whether you are religious (Meaning that you believe in some omnipotent, spiritual/non-material "Creator"). I normally use "religious" to mean adhering to some religious belief system; I use "spiritual" for someone who does not believe or believes outside of any of the religions.

If you are not religious, are you saying that evil, though a bad thing in humans and human institutions, has the silver lining that it continuously forces us to choose between the good and the evil, and that hopefully, we are rising to the occasion and becoming more confirmed in good living ethics?

If you are religious, did this Creator create evil along with everything else?

You needn't go into this if this is a private issue for you........but I'm curious.

Thanks.

Bob A
                      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Yesterday, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Yesterday, the main stream media applauded Biden for going to hurricane ravaged Florida to 'inspect' the damage. He did so at the taxpayers expense, burning precious fuel, and creating un-necessary pollution. He learnt nothing that was not already widely known, and no Floridian was better off from his visit than he/she would have been without it! Another sad commentary on our society's norms...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Pargat:

You: on the topic of evil: "evil in human society (necessary for our spiritual growth)".

Click image for larger version Name:	Satan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	237385

Interesting point of view........I'm sorry, but I can't remember from your posts, whether you are religious (Meaning that you believe in some omnipotent, spiritual/non-material "Creator"). I normally use "religious" to mean adhering to some religious belief system; I use "spiritual" for someone who does not believe or believes outside of any of the religions.

If you are not religious, are you saying that evil, though a bad thing in humans and human institutions, has the silver lining that it continuously forces us to choose between the good and the evil, and that hopefully, we are rising to the occasion and becoming more confirmed in good living ethics?

If you are religious, did this Creator create evil along with everything else?

You needn't go into this if this is a private issue for you........but I'm curious.

Thanks.

Bob A
                          Hi Bob, I did post on this in this thread, posts 71, 80 and 84. The first paragraph of post 84 is where I very briefly explain why we incarnate on Earth. We come here to experience hardship, and because we are immortal souls, we very often overestimate how much hardship we can manage. This is why suicides sometimes happen ... we went too far in our plans.

In order for this to work, evil must be permitted on Earth and in fact can never be eradicated from Earth. The very fact that we all need food, water, air means we are fighting for survival at all times, and for some of us, this leads to giving in to evil to achieve our needs, but more importantly, also our WANTS.

On the other side (aka Heaven), nobody strives for riches or wealth because we have all we need or could want already. This physical universe was PURPOSEFULLY engineered by its creator to not allow our needs or wants to ever be fulfilled here.

Case in point: there cannot ever be a perpetual motion machine. There can never be totally free energy (nuclear fusion hold the promise to be free energy, but I think we will find some limitation because it is built into the Universe that nothing is free, everything has a cost, if looked at from a human perspective). Nuclear fusion will turn out to have some limiting cost that we haven't figured out yet.

In the case of extreme evil, -- Hitler, Putin, Stalin etc. -- these are souls that agreed to live such lives in order to ensure that the world keeps being a place of extreme hardship. These souls will never stop coming to bring some new hell to Earth. The Creator has already forgiven them, knowing they are necessary to the spiritual growth of everyone. We wouldn't learn anything here if we all lived lives of total luxury.

Does it mean you can say, "Ok, then I guess I can just do anything I want and even kill others to get what I want in life." Yes, you can say that, but you will only actually go ahead and DO that if you incorporated it into your plan. If you didn't, you will always be unable to live like that, because you put it into your Earth life that you would have things like empathy and understanding and a conscience.

Those of us who live very saintly lives are the opposite of the Hitlers ... they are souls that are here to show us that we are spiritual beings and basically to give us hope despite all the suffering we go through. Most of us are not allowed to remember where we came from. But some people, an increasing number of people thanks to health care technology, can be brought back from death even after many minutes, and remember being greeted on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                          X