Geopolitics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geopolitics

A thread for general geopolitics topics.

Let's start with: China, Russia, North Korea vs. USA, Europe, South Korea, Taiwan, possibly India

France leader Macron has sounded the alarm bells about a huge coming decline in Europe economies. Why? Because cheap Russian natural gas that once flowed to Europe, enabling industrial competitiveness, has now been diverted to China, and guess what, China is now underpricing Europe significantly. The initial result: mass layoffs, unemployment in of all places GERMANY.

In concert with Macron's warnings, Biden announces new Russian sanctions that are really targeting China. The U.S. is coming to realize that China and Russia are in partnership, along with North Korea, and of course, China sharply criticized the new sanctions.

It's all part of a chess war going on. Actually, more like Risk. USA holds key cards, namely the international banking system. The Russian stock market declined 15% in one day, and 2 major Russian banks were preventing their customers from withdrawing money. The ruble also declined quite a bit.

These are still the opening salvos. Europe stands to be hit very very hard, mass layoffs are in the cards for this year and next. Thus Macron's alarm bells.

Medvedev of Russia is urging a worldwide economic war against the West. This is only going to get more and more complicated and messy.

We have France going far-right (Frexit?) and we have England swinging left.

It reminds me of a newspaper comic I saw years ago (yes, newspaper comic, from the age just after the dinosaurs).

A man is running from left to right and is passing by a man running right to left.

The man on the left says "I'm running away from it all!"

The man on the right responds "So am I!"

Comment

It's easy to be discouraged, but I take heart over a few recent developments:
      1) Iran: A reformist candidate was elected as the new president; he is a heart surgeon. Very interesting.
      2) Britain: Very powerful results for Labour (the new government with 411 of 650 seats) and for the centrist Social Democrats, which won their most-ever seats. The previously ruling Conservative party was decimated, and the former PM said he would soon resign as party leader.
      3) France: The far right was held back in the run-off elections on Sunday.
      Donald Trump is set to be sentenced over 34 felony convictions, this week.

Comment

Working...
      X