Question on COQ prize determination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on COQ prize determination

My son, Forest Guo, participated in COQ playing in the Section A (-2000). He had a rating of 1638, and achieved a score of 6.0/9. His result is the best among all of the players with ratings under 1800 playing in that section. Therefore, the -1800 class prize ($300) should belong to him. On the other hand, however, his score of 6.0/9 was also good enough to put him in the 5th place in the entire section, tied with 2 other players with ratings of 1997 and 1924, respectively. The 5th place prize is $100 ($33.33 for each).

Now, my question is the following: Should Forest be excluded from the 5th place competition since he is already eligible for the class prize and it is much more meaningful for him? Should the determination of prize encourage excellence of performance in the chess tournament, not discourage it?

In the case of Forest, he is eligible for 2 prizes at the same time (the $300 class prize and $100 for 5th place). We believe his class prize should prevail. As a 14-year’s old player, he played very hard in that section. I think he fully deserves the better prize. But the organizer of COQ made the following decision: 1) Forest won 5th place in the Section -2000 and shared $100 with the other 2 players (completely neglected the fact that he had a rating of 1638 only); 2) The $300 class prize was awarded to 3 other players achieving a score of 5.5/9 (their ratings were 1799, 1755, and 1782 respectively).

Can anybody tell me where is the fairness and justification of these decisions? Does FQE have clear rules for guidance in those situations? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Question on COQ prize determination

Originally posted by Jiayin Guo View Post
    Does FQE have clear rules for guidance in those situations? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
    Salut !

Bien entendu qu'il y a des réglements écrits. Une réponse se fera connaître bientôt. Mon expérience de tournoi (tout à fait sans fondement, ha ha!) me fait croire qu'il devrait obtenir le prix de classe..

SB

Comment

Re : Re: Question on COQ prize determination

Originally posted by Steve Bolduc View Post
      Bien entendu qu'il y a des réglements écrits. Une réponse se fera connaître bientôt. Mon expérience de tournoi (tout à fait sans fondement, ha ha!) me fait croire qu'il devrait obtenir le prix de classe..
      SB
      Quand un joueur est éligible à deux prix, il a droit au plus grand des deux. C'est une évidence.

Comment

Je vien de recevoir la reponse de COQ. Il a admet que c'est un erreur! Alors la probleme va etre regle. Merci la organisateur de COQ. On vraiment apprecis beaucoup ce tournois.

Merci egalement M. Hebert et Bolduc pour votre connaissance a ce sujet.

Comment

Sur la site FQE les prix sont affichés:

Section A
          Roman Sarrazin-Gendron 1000,00$ 1
          Jeremie Poschmann 400,00$ 2-3-4
          Emile Trottier 275,00$ 2-3-4
          Sylvain De Lagrave 225,00$ 2-3-4
          Mateusz Dydak 33,33$ 5
          Denis Gauthier 33,33$ 5
          Forest Guo 300,00$ -1800

Est-ce que la FQE a posté les chèques avant de vérifier les prix?

Comment

Working...
          X