A new Canadian GM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new Canadian GM!

This is one of those difficult questions, and it is not new! Spraggett was not the only strong player who resented giving up the better part of a month for Canada when the rent and other bills keep on coming. Like so many others, he could not afford it! Being compensated for one’s time is rare in Canadian chess. Too much of the load is dependent on volunteers. It took at least a day's work to get Kovalyov's transfer done. No one was paid for that on this side of the pond.

At the CFC AGM this year I was not quick enough to decline the nomination as Olympic Fundraiser. This will be my third straight assignment and I am not optimistic. It has never been easy. We have our lost charitable status, and frankly I question the resolve of our membership to shoulder the burden of another Olympic delegation. If anyone wants the job you will have a listener in me – halbond AT sympatico DOT ca

A 12 member delegation will cost about $20k before anyone scores a stipend. To Larry Bevand and J. Ken McDonald, I thank you for your generous offers! I hope you will inspire others to follow suit.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 25th August, 2013, 07:48 PM. Reason: so Hal doesnt get mail bots

Comment

Hal, is the CFC considering NOT sending teams to the Olympics? I thought the Olympics were funded from general revenue.

The question has been raised, how much of a stipend/bursary/wage is appropriate for GMs on the Canadian team. Any thoughts?

Comment

If memory serves correctly, the Open team players each received a $500 stipend for 2012. More often than not, the stipend has been zero. Of course transportation, accommodations, and meals are always covered.

The Belzberg's funded the Open team on 2 or 3 occasions. It was a performance based system where players were paid per win.

Most of the money we receive from the contract with the FQE goes to sponsor the team. This might account for 75% of the base price.

I guess a good question for Eric is how much is fair compensation ? We so far have two $1,000 donations (I assume they are dependent on us securing Eric, Anton and Bator and 2 IM's). Right now we don't have any other active GM's who would be willing to play.
        Last edited by Fred McKim; Monday, 26th August, 2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Most of the money we receive from the contract with the FQE goes to sponsor the team. This might account for 75% of the base price.
          Hey that's... great, I guess. I still don't understand that deal, but whatever.

Comment

Hal, I hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of changing your e mail link to a verbal description of it. Web bots are all over this website and will pick up your e mail address and start sending garbage and spam to your e mail account.

This sort of spam can get so bad that a person has to abandon their e mail account and start another.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I guess a good question for Eric is how much is fair compensation ? We so far have two $1,000 donations (I assume they are dependent on us securing Eric, Anton and Bator and 2 IM's). Right now we don't have any other active GM's who would be willing to play.
              Fred,
              The stipulation I read is that the contributions are dependent on an all GM team.

Basically, what you need to do is find out how much they want to do some training to get rid of the rust, and to spend the time playing the event. I used to phone people to ask them to give 2 to 4 years of their lives to play on Canadian correspondence teams.

It's best to get someone who's well liked to ask. People often don't do things for an organization. They do it for the person asking.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Appreciate the feedback guys. I can't speak for others but I can say my current stance comes from gathering a lot of knowledge in the past year from Europeans. Players get different salaries each as ratings vary and its negotiated between the federation and the players .Canada only has the Olympiad while most countries have multiple team events (European Team, Pan am team, World team, etc) so they have more established rules regarding salaries in place. It really varies though and I'm open to discuss. Every player has his own 'price' and so a lot of it is negotiation and probably would be best for a budget to be set first.
                Last edited by Eric Hansen; Sunday, 25th August, 2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I think it would be great if the CFC held a closed door meeting with those members of the Olympiad team to negotiate what fair compensation is. We can't expect these profesionall players to take a month out of their time and get no monetary compensation. They are still paying for their rent back home and many other things.
                  Last edited by Andy Shaw; Monday, 26th August, 2013, 08:20 AM. Reason: Month

Comment

In theory, there could be an all GM team, but I don't think it is too likely (and in any event it would be Feb or Mar before that would even be known). I would consider securing the three players mentioned and the next two best to be worthy of the donations.

There is no doubt that compensation for European players is significantly different than Canadian players. Even in Europe there are exceptions, as I think the top German players boycotted one of the last two Olympic (over funding).

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                      I think it would be great if the CFC held a closed door meeting with those members of the Olympiad team to negotiate what fair compensation is. We can't expect these profesionall players to take a year out of their time and get no monetary compensation. They are still paying for their rent back home and many other things.
                      I'm not sure where you came up with the figure of a year.

Comment

Re : Re: A new Canadian GM!

In theory, there could be an all GM team, but I don't think it is too likely (and in any event it would be Feb or Mar before that would even be known). I would consider securing the three players mentioned and the next two best to be worthy of the donations.

There is no doubt that compensation for European players is significantly different than Canadian players. Even in Europe there are exceptions, as I think the top German players boycotted one of the last two Olympic (over funding).
                        If by all GM team we mean 4 GMs, it wouldn't be that hard (with compensation):
                        GM Kovalyov
                        GM Hansen
                        GM Sambuev
                        GM Roussel-Roozmon

Now the question is if the CFC could convince a fifth GM to play (Spraggett, Bluvshtein, Charbonneau, Lesiège...), which would be unlikely.

Comment

I'm not sure where you came up with the figure of a year.
                          I meant to say a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                            Appreciate the feedback guys. I can't speak for others but I can say my current stance comes from gathering a lot of knowledge in the past year from Europeans. Players get different salaries each as ratings vary and its negotiated between the federation and the players .Canada only has the Olympiad while most countries have multiple team events (European Team, Pan am team, World team, etc) so they have more established rules regarding salaries in place. It really varies though and I'm open to discuss. Every player has his own 'price' and so a lot of it is negotiation and probably would be best for a budget to be set first.
                            The thing is that the profile of chess is much lower in Canada than in these other countries. Your best shot to ultimately earn a good living as a chess player will be to boost the profile of Canadian Chess and attract money (sponsorships) into the game. And in order to attract sponsors, you need to be able to provide them with visibility - the reason a sponsor will give you money is so that when you beat a top player and it becomes a news story back in Canada, that you can say "thanks to our sponsors xyz inc." Or when players around the world see your games on the internet and are impressed by your play, you gain more followers to your blog which has your sponsor's logo.

That being said, I'd be happy to see our top players get reasonable compensation for playing at the Olympiad, and I'll probably make a donation myself. But it's also important to see the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                              The thing is that the profile of chess is much lower in Canada than in these other countries. Your best shot to ultimately earn a good living as a chess player will be to boost the profile of Canadian Chess and attract money (sponsorships) into the game. And in order to attract sponsors, you need to be able to provide them with visibility - the reason a sponsor will give you money is so that when you beat a top player and it becomes a news story back in Canada, that you can say "thanks to our sponsors xyz inc." Or when players around the world see your games on the internet and are impressed by your play, you gain more followers to your blog which has your sponsor's logo.

That being said, I'd be happy to see our top players get reasonable compensation for playing at the Olympiad, and I'll probably make a donation myself. But it's also important to see the bigger picture.
                              What exactly are you responding to? I haven't complained in this thread about not making enough money or mentioned chess sponsorship. So I'm not sure why you are trying to educate me on that subject especially as you cited two strong examples of how victories over World Champions will hardly change anything. The Olympiad is a nice event to follow but it's just another tournament and unless you are a top country most people in the will be completely oblivious to your performance as there are so many others in the same boat. I have plenty of future opportunities vs top players with or without the Olympiad.

I said that don't expect me to play next year for free. A lot of amateur players speak about chess salaries and the system without knowing too much. I'm not here to beg, I'm just stating where I stand (a year in advance).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A new Canadian GM!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                                If by all GM team we mean 4 GMs, it wouldn't be that hard (with compensation):
                                GM Kovalyov
                                GM Hansen
                                GM Sambuev
                                GM Roussel-Roozmon

Now the question is if the CFC could convince a fifth GM to play (Spraggett, Bluvshtein, Charbonneau, Lesiège...), which would be unlikely.
                                http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...3131#post23131
                                GM D.Tyomkin has more chances to get into #4 ;)
                                Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 26th August, 2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X