Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Canadian GM!

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/138

We could have a great team for the next Olympiads! :)

Re: A new Canadian GM!

Yes! Maybe an all GM Canadian team for the next Olympiad! First ever!

Comment

Congratulations to GM.Anton Kovalyov!

Comment

Interesting to see that this moves Canada up 5 places in the international FIDE standings - from 42nd where we have been for several years to 37th.

34 Uzbekistan................ 2525
        35 Iceland..................... 2523
        36 Latvia....................... 2522
        37 Canada.................... 2514
        38 Slovakia.....................2510
        39 Bosnia & Herzegovina 2506
        40 Peru......................... 2503

The number is the average FIDE rating of each country's top ten players.
        With both Hansen and Hambleton spending a year in Europe, they could increase our number by 10 points should they each gain 50 rating points.
        Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Saturday, 24th August, 2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Interesting to see that this moves Canada up 5 places in the international FIDE standings - from 42nd where we have been for several years to 37th.

34 Uzbekistan................ 2525
          35 Iceland..................... 2523
          36 Latvia....................... 2522
          37 Canada.................... 2514
          38 Slovakia.....................2510
          39 Bosnia & Herzegovina 2506
          40 Peru......................... 2503

The number is the average FIDE rating of each country's top ten players.
          With both Hansen and Hambleton spending a year in Europe, they could increase our number by 10 points should they each gain 50 rating points.
          Hopefully Eric and Aman will inspire Kevin to come back to the Canadian Olympic team...we have great players when they play as a team!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Yes! Maybe an all GM Canadian team for the next Olympiad! First ever!

A nice thought but probably wishful thinking. I don't plan to play next year unless I am compensated for my time. I believe Anton is of a similar mind as well.

I spoke to Kevin here in Barcelona about the Olympiad but it seems he is no longer interested in playing and would rather watch the new generation.

Comment

There is no doubt that a team event is about giving back. The Olympiad is even more, as everyone gets to meet old friends and make new friends. When I went as an arbiter in the early 80's, it was memories and friendships for life. I am sure Canada is prepared to support an all GM Canadian team...we have time...the CFC should take a leadership roll here...and let's make it happen! Vlad...I will throw $1,000 of my own money into the pot...provided we have an all GM Canadian team at the next Olympiad :)

Larry

Comment

I doubt they could get 5 GMs who are near their top playing strength. That is, not rusty.

I notice Larry is willing to chip in and am wondering roughly how much in total compensation would be necessary for the players. Without some kind of goal it becomes a fishing expedition.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  There is no doubt that a team event is about giving back. The Olympiad is even more, as everyone gets to meet old friends and make new friends. When I went as an arbiter in the early 80's, it was memories and friendships for life. I am sure Canada is prepared to support an all GM Canadian team...we have time...the CFC should take a leadership roll here...and let's make it happen! Vlad...I will throw $1,000 of my own money into the pot...provided we have an all GM Canadian team at the next Olympiad :)

Larry
                  Does all GM mean 4 GMs and another player OR 5 GMs?

I will match your offer, Larry.

The fact that many Canadian players (current or former) who have done well in life never seem to step up perturbs me.

Maybe this would be a good time to do so?

What is the going "cost" of a GM for an event like this?

It would take a serious Team Captain for an all GM team!

Comment

It will be fantastic if Canada can have the best squad for the Olympiad

Comment

Just a thought- how much will the Canadian Olympic hockey team be compensated for going to Sochi next year? OK, maybe not the fairest comparison with chess given the kind of money NHLers earn- easy for them to say "this is just about representing my country"

Comment

Re : Re: A new Canadian GM!

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                        Just a thought- how much will the Canadian Olympic hockey team be compensated for going to Sochi next year? OK, maybe not the fairest comparison with chess given the kind of money NHLers earn- easy for them to say "this is just about representing my country"
                        Actually, chess players do pretty well in comparison with most sports (obviously not all sports though). I knew people who were on the Olympic team for some sports, like ice skating, and they wished they earned as much money as Canadian professional chess players do. They are obviously not paid to play in international competitions.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A new Canadian GM!

I find this line of thinking a bit strange. Even if someone is not "compensated for his time" playing at the Olympiad, surely there's some benefit to gaining name recognition as a player and experience against top opposition. Just think of the attention that Pascal's win against Anand or Mark's win against Topalov generated.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                            I find this line of thinking a bit strange. Even if someone is not "compensated for his time" playing at the Olympiad, surely there's some benefit to gaining name recognition as a player and experience against top opposition. Just think of the attention that Pascal's win against Anand or Mark's win against Topalov generated.
                            Perhaps this is not the best set of examples when you cite two players who while both great players are now not playing chess. Obviously the attention was not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                              Of course our top grandmasters should jump at the chance to show their stuff at the next olympiad! Just think of the recognition - the ADULATION -
                              it makes you swoon just to imagine it!
                              And furthermore, the recognition and $2 will get you a coffee at ANY Starbucks!! Wow!

Back to the real world - would all expenses plus $2,000 be sufficient compensation for the GM's? At least it should be a starting point for negotiations.
                              If acceptable, the needed $10,000 could probably be raised be interested parties. If you double the amount, it becomes questionable.
                              Let's hear from the GM's..........

Comment

Working...
                              X