Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Round 5 will be the start of the comeback!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I was just looking at that game on Chessbomb (via Susan Polgar's blog) and the final White move (Qd5+) is marked as a "weak move" by the automatic Houdini analysis and indeed is a huge blunder... however, the result shows as 1-0 (!) The scores are not yet posted on the tournament website, so perhaps there was a recording error? Will have to see.
    Hi Kerry:

From the photos earlier in this thread you can see that a lot of the games are being played on DGT Smartboards (or whatever they are called now). These boards sense where the pieces are placed so the final position recorded by the software may be after the game is over. In this case White may have started to move his queen when Black resigned and the queen got put back on the board on d5. The board will record that as a "move" even though the game is already over.

Steve

Comment

Re: Canadian Chess, such as it is...

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
      Regarding sections versus open, the main driving force behind sectioned events is to get turnout. Also a lot of high-rated players don't like open events because they don't like "giving lessons".
      Hi Steve,

The organizers decide the format. Chess events aren't a democracy. My experience is mostly that strong players don't like "getting lessons". That cuts both ways.

Regarding class prizes there is no reason a class prize can't go to the top finishers groups within a large event. Like top under 2000, etc.

Of course, when organizers don't want to change the way they do things there is always a reason.

By the way, that line today is nicely covered in the book Grand Prix Attack: f4 against the Sicilian by Hodgson and Day. I'd say white was "booked up" on the opening.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

One Big Swiss - Scarborough CC

Hi Gary:

The Scarborough CC Club Championship has for years been in sections, the top championship section being a 10-player round robin.

You'll be pleased to hear that at the Sept. 5 SCC AGM, it was decided to make the SCC Club Championship a one section swiss. But, to try to give the top players stronger opponents, we will use double accelerated pairings.

Also, from that meeting, SCC changed its time control from Game/90 which we'd played for years, to Game/60 with 15 sec. increment from move 1.

But the regular Thurs. night swisses, are now in 4 sections (used to be 3 sections). The middle two sections have an effective rating spread of only 200 points - very competitive.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Gary:

The organizers usually decide based on what they think will draw the most players.

In any case, there are three basic problems with doing class prizes within a single large section in a Swiss. They are:

a) you need enough rounds to do it properly; to handle more than 64 players you need 7 rounds. Very hard to do in a weekend.

b) you will have many ties for "first" within the classes, with issues of various "tiebreak" systems and/or unequal opposition or few (if any) common opponents

c) even with various acceleration methods, you will still have some "ping-pong" effect

Anyway, the above issues have much more to do with either how practical or how enjoyable an event is for the average player. With respect to junior developing, I don't see sections as a hindrance. As they progress (which they generally do quickly) they will spend their time in each of the sections until they reach Expert level.

Clubs, as Bob Armstrong points out, are much better suited to running a "tournament" (1 game a week) with one large section. They can easily extend the number of rounds to accommodate the number of players.

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          By the way, that line today is nicely covered in the book Grand Prix Attack: f4 against the Sicilian by Hodgson and Day. I'd say white was "booked up" on the opening.
          I had forgotten that Lawrence Day had been a strong practitioner of the Grand Prix Attack. Richard Wang's opponent would certainly have been booked up if he intended to go with 2. f4 which isn't seen much anymore. And obviously he was booked up through N x N. Still, the resulting awkwardness of Black's position--and his affectation for doubled pawns--was surprising. He seemed to be at sea in knowing how to complete his development (my opinion which isn't worth much).

Steve

Comment

Re: One Big Swiss - Scarborough CC

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            You'll be pleased to hear that at the Sept. 5 SCC AGM, it was decided to make the SCC Club Championship a one section swiss. But, to try to give the top players stronger opponents, we will use double accelerated pairings.
            Actually, I'm not pleased. Other than to prevent top players (read top rated players) from losing rating points there is no reason for double accelerated pairings. It's my opinion that pairing method is used to keep the patsers away from the top players. Really a waste of time for juniors with lower ratings to even bother playing.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Steve,

I don't see a problem with distributing prize money for ties. Simply split the money between those tied for a placing. You can still use a tie break for exact placings and winners.

Possibly the inability to solve such problem could have something to do with the decline in memberships and players in Canada these days.

How do you like the sum of opponents ratings for a tie breaking system? Drop the lowest rated opponent and total the sums of the remaining opponents. That one looks like it would be perfect for discouraging the Swiss Gambit in weekend events. They are using it at the world junior.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Rd. 9 - Richard Wang - 2013 World Junior

In Rd. 9, Richard won against Atilla Koksal Yuksel (2060) of Turkey. He has 4/9 pts..

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve Douglas;72987]

Keep in mind that he is 16 and from what I can see he has played in few international events held outside Canada/North America.

Richard is 15 (having turned so just this month), not 16. Moreover, Richard has twice won bronze medals (2009 and again in 2012) at WYCC events as detailed in his Wikipedia entry below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...(chess_player)

Comment

Re: Round 5 will be the start of the comeback!

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                    Alexander Ipatov is endeavouring to establish some chess history here in his adopted home country, Turkey (he originally played for the Ukraine, then Spain). No player has ever won back-to-back WJCCs, albeit Shakhriyar Mamedyarov did win the event twice, in 2003 and again in 2005. Looking at past WJCC winners, there are some veritable chess legends amongst the mix, including World Champions Boris Spassky, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, and Viswanathan Anand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_J...s_Championship
                    There are still 4 rounds to go, but through 9 rounds Alexander Ipatov is sole 1st with a highly impressive 8/9 in his endeavour to become the inaugural back-to-back World Junior Champion.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jack Maguire;73033]
                      Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

Richard is 15 (having turned so just this month), not 16. Moreover, Richard has twice won bronze medals (2009 and again in 2012) at WYCC events
                      I didn't realize the age. I was looking at the title and the rating and thought them to be an indicator. Also, Larry was trying to place bets on a high finish.

The person who is in 4th place after todays play, IM Duda from Poland, also has a birth year of 1998 in the FIDE rating base.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                      X