Chess Canada Webzine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Test of the Motivation of the Critics...

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Hopefully you will some day be able to see that difference.
    Jean,

I do not know what you mean. Are you saying that your previous comments are constructive criticisms?

Paul

Comment

Ben,

Thanks for the advice; from this day forth I will endeavor to think before I post. I am sure that you always do judging from the quality and breadth of your posts. Perhaps you can be my chesstalk mentor; I could email you intended posts and let you edit them before I expose them to the chesstalk readers so that they meet your level of quality and I do not waste peoples time.

It seems that this is primarily a chess site, for people that enjoy playing and talking chess so it seemed reasonable to me that if many people post on their chess activities many others on the site will be interested.

By the way, I think that food at the grocery store is randomly stocked, I can never find what I need. If the police fail to catch someone who has stolen from your home, you should hunt him down yourself, expecially if you are Clint Eastwood. Did the doctor not set your broken leg properly? Quit complaining and set it yourself. Expecially if you live in the US and do not have medical coverage.

Cheers....
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        Ben,

Thanks for the advice; from this day forth I will endeavor to think before I post. I am sure that you always do judging from the quality and breadth of your posts. Perhaps you can be my chesstalk mentor; I could email you intended posts and let you edit them before I expose them to the chesstalk readers so that they meet your level of quality and I do not waste peoples time.

It seems that this is primarily a chess site, for people that enjoy playing and talking chess so it seemed reasonable to me that if many people post on their chess activities many others on the site will be interested.

By the way, I think that food at the grocery store is randomly stocked, I can never find what I need. If the police fail to catch someone who has stolen from your home, you should hunt him down yourself, expecially if you are Clint Eastwood. Did the doctor not set your broken leg properly? Quit complaining and set it yourself. Expecially if you live in the US and do not have medical coverage.

Cheers....
        Paul
        Deal. Start by reading this book.

By the way, if I do happen to get my chess prose on, I'll simply post the writing on ChessTalk. Why would I post it on a blog on the CFC's webzine, a site that is far more chaotic and far less frequented? If I were to deem it an especially well-written piece (you know, above and beyond my typical Aldous Huxley-like level of spiritual and intellectual discourse), I would send it to Stephen so he could include it in the BCCF ezine. Let's see, Stephen volunteers tirelessly and has sent out the free ezine consistently for about six years, while the CFC just collects my money and then stops sending me a magazine. Yeah, holler down a moment while I write something for the latter. NO. NOT ACTUALLY. I AM BEING FACETIOUS.

Speaking of the word "actually", Love Actually? Crappy film. But Lovely & Amazing? Haven't seen it. Also looks sort of crappy, because Emily Mortimer's in it. Man, did you see Transsiberian? That crap was so crappy, especially her crap attempt at acting. But Catherine Keener's in it, too, so who knows? She was excellent in Living in Oblivion. You've seen it? Of course not! The only reason I would even bring up Living in Oblivion is to note the fact that the person to whom I am speaking has not seen it.

Back to the topic at hand: Lovely & Amazing. I think I downloaded this thinking it was Walking and Talking, another film with Catherine Keener in it. Either way, it was like 4.3 gigs so I wasted some serious ratio on KaraGarga downloading this. It had better not suck, or I will be disappointed and rue my decision to download it. I can not imagine anything worse.
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re: Chess Canada Webzine

Last year the CFC's magazine, Chess Canada, ceased publication after existing in various
          incarnations since 1973. Its replacement, an online magazine, has just appeared and is now available
          for viewing. Parts of the webzine are public but other portions have the access restricted to those
          holding CFC memberships. Members whose email addresses are known to the CFC should have
          received a message indicating how they may enter the members' only sections. For a limited time all
          visitors, whether they be members or not, can view the members' areas by using the following log-in:
          username: guest
          password: 884ssf$55

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a way to print out that article, properly paginated. That has always been a weakness of the web: even crummy old WordStar had dot commands for pagination, but html had nothing, no page smarts. That's one reason PDF continues to be popular.

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
            Actually CSS properly used makes it perfectly possible. Alas a certain stupid browser doesn't support the standard correctly and web designers pretty well uniformly ignore it. But I know it can be done because I've done it fairly often as long as you ignore the results in that certain stupid stupid browser.
            Hi, Ed!

Care to point me to a good example? I actually have a chess-related application in mind! It should support two-column layout and page breaks as determined in the source markup. Thanks!

This old thread is fun to read six months later, eh?

Comment

"Note to CFC members if you have an email address send it to Vincent Chow.
              Otherwise you cannot access the webzine properly."

What that e-mail address of Mr.V.Chow would be?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                "Note to CFC members if you have an email address send it to Vincent Chow.
                Otherwise you cannot access the webzine properly."

What that e-mail address of Mr.V.Chow would be?
                That original advice from Bob Gillanders was valid at the time, but since then, Bob and Vince and the other folks who operated the CFC office were sacked by the CFC Executive....

I suggest you send inquiries like this to the CFC office (info@chess.ca) or to the CFC President.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Care to point me to a good example? I actually have a chess-related application in mind! It should support two-column layout and page breaks as determined in the source markup. Thanks!

This old thread is fun to read six months later, eh?
                  Well, there aren't many examples, but if you use the media types you can create a separate stylesheet for print with the "media=print" declaration in the STYLE tag. A style sheet with the print media type will apply only to printing, while your regular sheet, spcified with "media=screen" will still apply to the screen version.

This is well documented in most CSS manuals. The only real "difficulty" is that a .pdf will look exactly as you coded it, whereas with CSS you can make the printed version look quite different, but if you want it to be exact that will be troublesome. The web is intended to be flexible and this is actually a strength rather than a weakness.

For instance if you have a menu on your screen site it's not going to be very useful on a printed page so with CSS you can make it disappear on the printed version.

Browser support is a bit spotty, so if you want exactly the same output from any user you won't get it with CSS. But really, that's not necessary and violates the spirit of the web, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    Well, there aren't many examples
                    Just one example would help.

but if you use the media types you can create a separate stylesheet for print with the "media=print" declaration in the STYLE tag. A style sheet with the print media type will apply only to printing, while your regular sheet, spcified with "media=screen" will still apply to the screen version.
                    They've been saying that for years.

This is well documented in most CSS manuals. The only real "difficulty" is that a .pdf will look exactly as you coded it, whereas with CSS you can make the printed version look quite different, but if you want it to be exact that will be troublesome. The web is intended to be flexible and this is actually a strength rather than a weakness.

For instance if you have a menu on your screen site it's not going to be very useful on a printed page so with CSS you can make it disappear on the printed version.

Browser support is a bit spotty, so if you want exactly the same output from any user you won't get it with CSS. But really, that's not necessary and violates the spirit of the web, in my opinion.
                    I'm not worried about consistency between browsers (though I do hope that the example will work in either a version of Firefox or a version of Opera). I did go to the trouble of getting a CSS manual from the library, but it didn't help. Where the CSS manual addressed "columns" it was in the sense of menus or sidebars or frames. There was no concept of typographical columns, and the idea of flowing text was absent.

TIA!

Interesting how the resuscitation of an old thread caused panic. Perhaps there should be a viewing command which goes to recent posts in a thread. Yes, I know that you can choose the "last page" but that isn't a convincing measure.

Comment

Well, if you send me an email address and can read .zip files on your local system I can send you a fairly simple and straightforward example of how I use it.

Your remarks about columns do worry me, however, and suggest you have a view of what the web is that is mistaken from my point of view. The web is not paper, and never will be, and trying to make it work like paper is only going to lead you to frustration. The web is designed to be flexible from the ground up, wheras paper media are not.

Simple column effects are quite easy to do with CSS, no tables required. HTML is designed to transfer information and is intended to mark up the logical structure of a document, not it's appearance. CSS is for presentation and the concerns should be separated.

Flowed columns are actually there in versions of CSS which are not yet supported by even the latest browsers in any standard way, but they are really quite alien to web design and only, in my opinion, make web pages harder to read.

You can email me at eseedhouse@gmail.com, by the way, if you want me to send an example.

Comment

WARNING ... This is an old thread, un-vampired twice.
                        Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        Ed and I took the discussion of printing html offline. Briefly, the litmus test of flowed multi-column printing comes down to something like this, which may or may not satisfy the typophile.

Following this more recent thread creating chess documents I found the downloadable TUGboat magazine, and downloaded issue 29:2, which has an article on why Wikipublisher (<< link to pdf version of article) was created, and it has its own Wikipublisher webpage. I haven't evaluated the package yet, or even figured out how it works, but here is somebody who, like me, thinks that there needs to be a way to render web pages as properly typeset documents.

Comment

Working...
                        X