Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCCA CFC Governor?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    I also notice they are looking for a representative of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association. If that's not filled and nobody else wants it, I'll take it. I'm a CCCA life member. How's that for filling positions?

Gary
    Now wouldn't that be putting the fox among the chickens!!

I'll pass on your generous offer to the powers that be!

But I think that you need first to get authorized by the CCCA.

Bob

Comment

Re: Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

Age doesn't matter if you're doing the job. I hope you told him...
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        I was recently told, in an email from another organizer, that I was too old and past it and it was time to think about retiring. You want more recognition than that??
        OMFG. John, I can't even think about Windsor and chess without thinking of your name too. You've been a tireless volunteer. If you "retire", who would do the work? And I *know* there's a lot of work.

Steve

Comment

Re: CCCA CFC Governor?

The CCCA will have to verify it anyhow so why not just ask them if they can have me.

In case you're curious, I'm on good terms with all the CCCA executives.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            I'll pass on your generous offer to the powers that be!

But I think that you need first to get authorized by the CCCA.

Bob
            Hi Gary:

You have mail.

Bob

Comment

[QUOTE=Gary Ruben;74211]The CCCA will have to verify it anyhow so why not just ask them if they can have me. QUOTE]

Hi Gary:

Nope as far as I know.

It is CCCA's obligation to let CFC know who they are appointing as their CFC Governor rep.. It is an internal matter to CCCA. So if you would like to be CCCA rep., you will have to, as far as I know, approach CCCA yourself, and make the offer.

They will let CFC know if there is any outcome.

Bob A

Comment

Got it. Thanks.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I thought Valer Demian is the CCCA representative. Is this out of date?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I thought Valer Demian is the CCCA representative. Is this out of date?
                    Hi Gary:

Yes - out of date - the world moves on!

I believe Valer resigned as CCCA CFC Governor.

But then he ran as BC provincial rep CFC Governor, and was elected. So now he is a regular governor.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 30th October, 2013, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Then I'm a big enough PITA to fill the position.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: OCA President

If a volunteer isn't doing the work in a timely manner why doesn't he simply step aside. Being a volunteer is no excuse for not doing a job in a timely manner. After all, taking a volunteer position is assuming a responsibility.
                        Absolutely agree!

Just wondering, Gary - what could you say about OCA President Christopher Mallon?
                        He is not only not doing his work in a timely manner, but even doesn't respond to questions asked by OCA Governors!

I guess, I have already exhausted all available ways to convince him to do his work, and ChessTalk is my last resort... :(
                        Last edited by Michael Barron; Thursday, 31st October, 2013, 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

CFC Volunteer Jobs

I don't understand that reasoning. If a volunteer isn't doing the work in a timely manner why doesn't he simply step aside. Being a volunteer is no excuse for not doing a job in a timely manner. After all, taking a volunteer position is assuming a responsibility.
                          Hi Gary: I agree with you only IF you have a volunteer replacement. In some cases it is better to have a volunteer job being done shoddily, than not at all by anyone.

Bob A

Comment

I once replaced an elected tournament director with someone else, for not doing the work. There were no complaints from the members.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: CFC Volunteer Jobs

I need about 75 volunteers to run my big annual chess tournament. I've been very lucky, all my volunteers have been super, I'd be hard put to think of even one volunteer who has been less than diligent.

Some thoughts:
                              • the first requirement for a volunteer is willingness.
                              • "volunteer" is a pay category, not a job description
                              • volunteers should have a job description
                              • volunteers should know what support they have if they run into difficulties

As has been said, it's pretty hard to put pressure on a volunteer... he can quit, and then you lose his services altogether. I have an ongoing annual adventure with one fellow, a very nice guy, who has run the online registration for at least 10 years. Every single year he delays and delays, usually getting the system up-and-running about five minutes before the deadline. But he always gets it done. It's become (almost) a joke between us.

In the case of the CFC website, it is not clear to me (and I suspect, not clear to anyone), who is supposed to update the various parts of the site, what their respective job descriptions are, and who the supervisor/support person is.

Comment

Re: CFC Website Content Updating?

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                                ......In the case of the CFC website, it is not clear to me (and I suspect, not clear to anyone), who is supposed to update the various parts of the site, what their respective job descriptions are, and who the supervisor/support person is.
                                Hi John:

PEI CFC Governor, Fred McKim, and CFC Treasurer, handled the new website file as a separate responsibility, along with his other volunteer jobs. Since the website has been up and running, he is the one I have contacted re anything to do with the website, and he has always responded.

Whether he has now taken on the file for website updating, in addition to his other roles, I am not sure (but I believe so).

He is likely the best one to now enter this discussion of members about how to get the new website content completely up-to-date.

I will now forward this post to Fred, for his information.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X