Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

Back to the thread subject. The blog has the list of the coaches.
    http://2013wycc.blogspot.ca/2013/10/our-coached.html

Comment

UAE and the law !

Some noteworthy considerations ...

Penalties for public displays of affection or immodesty can be severe. Travelers have been sentenced to lengthy jail terms for kissing in public....
      Persons arrested on alcohol-related offenses are regularly detained for many days as they await a court hearing. Penalties may include hefty jail sentences, substantial fines and, for Muslims (even those holding U.S. citizenship), lashings.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: UAE and the law !

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        Some noteworthy considerations ...
        No surprises there. Personally, I wouldn't bother travelling anywhere with specifications like that...
        If you add in the additional bonus of 'no legal representation or recourse because of course all of your
        destiny is in the hands of [insert deity here]' then you can see how much fun that place must be.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
          OMFG. John, I can't even think about Windsor and chess without thinking of your name too. You've been a tireless volunteer. If you "retire", who would do the work? And I *know* there's a lot of work.

Steve
          I would certainly hope that John takes that advice with a grain of salt and I have said that to him privately. I suppose that I could take on some additional responsibilities IF I could just give up sleep. This is a particular instance of "Be careful what you wish for, as you might get it."

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            Thank you for the link, Andrei. I see 7 registered players from Israel. Maybe I scared too much about going with Mark to UAE (Mark has a Canadian passport, but was born in Israel).
            It looks like the Israel's team is out from WYCC.

http://www.worldyouth2013.com/playerlist/country

Comment

The Canadian players have arrived and are settling in. Check out the team blog http://2013wycc.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Update: LIVE games broadcast will not be conducted on the first day of the tournament.

By decision of the Organizing Committee, the first round of World Youth Chess Championship will start at 17.00 (8:00 am Toronto time) due to late arrivals.

Comment

Looks like the event will be run on "Arab time".

Not to worry. "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings..."

Comment

Re: CCCA CFC Governor?

R2 results are now being posted at chess-results.com and I see that my pick for the most likely Canadian to come home with a medal, the ACC's very own Harmony Zhu, is a perfect 2/2.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1194...=1&rd=2&wi=821

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                      R2 results are now being posted at chess-results.com and I see that my pick for the most likely Canadian to come home with a medal, the ACC's very own Harmony Zhu, is a perfect 2/2.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1194...=1&rd=2&wi=821
                      Hi Jack:

You gotta share! She's the Scarborough CC's very own Harmony Zhu! She plays at both clubs!

Bob

Comment

Harmony is great but my money is still on Ottawa's RA Chess Club's Qiyu Zhou who stands at 2.5/3 in the U14 girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                          Harmony is great but my money is still on Ottawa's RA Chess Club's Qiyu Zhou who stands at 2.5/3 in the U14 girls.
                          I'm on the record, Gordon, as saying Canada has 3 legitimate medal contenders here: Harmony, Qiyu, and Richard Wang (a two time medal winner already!). I also think the girls are far better 'bets' to win medals if only because of the quality of their respective competition. If we're talking a gold medal, I'd still pick Harmony over Qiyu but let's hope we're both right (:

Comment

Israeli Chess Federation players were there in Al Ain

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                            It looks like the Israeli team is out from WYCC.

That's a falsehood. At the request of the ICF, no flags were used at the event. But the players were there.

Announcement of the ICF

Originally posted by M Slav, Chairman of Israeli Chess Federation
                            We would like to state very clearly that this move was done as a result of our security people's request and with full cooperation with the local organizers.... and we would like to thank the organizers and FIDE events commission for their cooperation and for the excellent treatment our delegation was met.
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Israeli Chess Federation players were there in Al Ain

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                              At the request of the ICF, no flags were used at the event. But the players were there.
                              On the CAN WYCC webpage a picture of the player's card is shown with the ISR flag covered with the FIDE logo.

Comment

Working...
                              X