Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE Ratings on CFC Member’s Rating Page

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Vlad, I have some good news and some bad news. :)

The good news: My proposal does not require any work at all. The link to FIDE website is already there. Look up your own rating, you'll see it "view this players FIDE rating" directly under your CFC rating.

The bad news: I tested the link. On several occasions it took me to the wrong person. :(
    For any link to work, the players *correct* FIDE number has to be associated with them.
    Perhaps that is too onerous on the CFC office at the present time.

From posts elsewhere on ChessTalk it seems the CFC office is not operational at the moment. I have
    sent (if I recall) about 3 emails to info@chess.ca since I rejoined in September and none of them
    have been answered, acknowledged or bounced.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I have
      sent (if I recall) about 3 emails to info@chess.ca since I rejoined in September and none of them
      I think the president is ultimately responsible for making things work. If you're not getting a reply from the CFC office send the president an email as it should be his job to help you out and make sure you get a reply.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        For any link to work, the players *correct* FIDE number has to be associated with them.
        Perhaps that is too onerous on the CFC office at the present time.

From posts elsewhere on ChessTalk it seems the CFC office is not operational at the moment. I have
        There have been issues with the CFC office at times and there have been discussions about the need for good communications and prioritizing tasks. We are still working out some of the bugs. I believe that there has been some improvement recently. Obviously Gerry Litchfield did a good job for a number of years and was underappreciated. With a new ED there was a learning curve which has not always been smooth. Good communication with members is a priority as far as I am concerned and I apologize if this has not been your experience. We will strive to improve this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I think the president is ultimately responsible for making things work. If you're not getting a reply from the CFC office send the president an email as it should be his job to help you out and make sure you get a reply.
          I agree with this post. You can send such email to president@chess.ca or to my hotmail.com account (vdrkulec). I will reply to most emails from either account from my hotmail account which is my preferred email address as the president account gets hijacked on a monthly basis to help send out the CFC newsletter. Emails to my hotmail account are usually read within a day unless I am away at a tournament. Most days I check my hotmail account several times a day. The president account I usually check every day or two as the traffic tends to be quite light.

Comment

Vlad,

When a person sends an email to the office, and what is being asked can't be answered or resolved, the person sending the email should get a reply at least acknowledging receipt of the email.

Maybe some of the CFC executives should be taking on some of the tasks until the problem is solved. You should be able to so some of the tasks without much problem. Running a chess organization simply isn't very difficult.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I replied to something else you wrote before I saw this reply. Thanks for taking the initiative to help out your members.

I know how much time replying to mail can take. I did it for close to 20 years between the CCCA and then the ICCF tournament office. As an example, if I was informed that someone was in hospital and wouldn't be able to play for a month, or if someone had withdrawn, I would write the other 10 or 12 players in the event and inform them of the problem. That in the days of chess by regular mail.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I replied to something else you wrote before I saw this reply. Thanks for taking the initiative to help out your members.

I know how much time replying to mail can take. I did it for close to 20 years between the CCCA and then the ICCF tournament office. As an example, if I was informed that someone was in hospital and wouldn't be able to play for a month, or if someone had withdrawn, I would write the other 10 or 12 players in the event and inform them of the problem. That in the days of chess by regular mail.
                No problem. I am not sure how I would handle things if we still relied on snail mail. Juggling email is plenty of work and at least provides the opportunity to reply quickly. People are interested in what is happening with the CFC. We have to pay attention to what happens with every contact by a member or prospective member and make sure that there is at the very least an acknowledgement of contact. If there are no members there is no need for a CFC. We should take an approach that recognizes that we are servants and stewards of the members federation though we will probably have to call them something else (players most likely) pretty soon under the new not for profit act rules... There are suggestions that we sell player licenses instead of memberships but that somehow seems offensive to me.

Comment

Handling high volumes of snail mail isn't really all that hard. I used to go to my desk around 9PM when the kids went to bed and work till 1 or 2 in the morning. This a few times a week. Then I went to bed, got up at 6:15 AM and went to work. Always seemed to be lots of work to do. We had around 700 members and I paired their tournaments and handled the outright disputes. Someone else handled time complaints.

The biggest single event I organized and paired was a Canadian Open CC championship which had over 400 entrants.

The volumes sometimes got so large the post office wanted me to sort the outgoing mail and they wanted to give me my own postal code. The didn't like 700+ club bulletins going into the slot at the post office. I was editor and publisher of the bulletin as well for about 5 years.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Michael reported, "I’ve now corrected the FIDE update query, so all (or the vast majority) of FIDE entries should be correct once the update goes up this morning."

Comment

Working...
                    X