How to improve Chess Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve Chess Talk

Another idea that I mentioned elsewhere is a seperate forum for chess variants - a poll could be taken by the administrator if in doubt.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Another idea that I mentioned elsewhere is a seperate forum for chess variants - a poll could be taken by the administrator if in doubt.
      I prefer the term "heterodox" chess. Some variants are so different that many orthodox players will angrily reject it as un-chess or not chess at all. In the spirit of "hetero" chess, I offer the following ...

Just click on the thumbnail and a larger image should appear.
      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 13th June, 2013, 01:35 PM. Reason: images
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Cool diagram Nigel. I can't figure out the rules of this chess variant, though. Maybe I don't understand something about the kind of attachment you gave, which appears to only give just the same diagram, only smaller. Also, it looks like it might take a lot of moves to finish a game on a board of this size from whatever the starting position for the variant ought to be, depending on the rules (if checkmating just one of the kings suffices, that might help a bit).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          Cool diagram Nigel. I can't figure out the rules of this chess variant, though. Maybe I don't understand something about the kind of attachment you gave, which appears to only give just the same diagram, only smaller. Also, it looks like it might take a lot of moves to finish a game on a board of this size from whatever the starting position for the variant ought to be, depending on the rules (if checkmating just one of the kings suffices, that might help a bit).

I made some kind of mistake with the attachment. I'm not sure quite what.

Anyway, you are right, checkmating one of the Kings will suffice. (Imagine a discovered quadruple check with double check on both Kings! Winning at once! lol)

Incidently, I had read somewhere that Bughouse was not so helpful for developing good habits among novice (especially children) chess-players, and then I read the following from Elizabeth (nee Vicary) Spiegel somewhere:

" (on bughouse, quoting another author) ... it teaches players to evaluate many complex pieces of information simultaneously, make quick and on-going judgments about which factors are the most important, and requires teamwork and flexible but accurate thinking."
          Perhaps those that are too myopic in regard to orthodox chess will be convinced of the usefulness of variants or heterodox chess when the latter is shown to be part of the preparation and motivation for successful players.

Then again, maybe not.

I showed some of the children in my local chess club how to play Bughouse and then, the following week, they wanted to START with Bughouse.

uh oh....
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 13th June, 2013, 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I can imagine a triple check (not always winning instantly), but at this point, at least, I cannot imagine a quadruple check ever being possible. That's if the rules to this massive-board variant are anything like for standard chess.

Comment

The topic of this thread is How to improve ChessTalk Not how to 'improve' chess.
              Another way to improve ChessTalk, but not mentioned in any post thus far, is for the moderator to urge posters who are off-topic to start a new thread! Presumably, the moderator would stay on topic himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                The topic of this thread is How to improve ChessTalk Not how to 'improve' chess.
                Another way to improve ChessTalk, but not mentioned in any post thus far, is for the moderator to urge posters who are off-topic to start a new thread! Presumably, the moderator would stay on topic himself.
                lol. OK, Vlad, I will start a heterodox (variants, etc.) thread.
                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 13th June, 2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: test image

Comment

A personal message notification is almost invisible.

Does it produce a pop-up window as before? (maybe my Firefox kills it :? )

Comment

Send me one and I will have a look see.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                      Send me one and I will have a look see.
                      Is this the kind of pgn viewer you are looking for Nigel?

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showthread...4922#post64922

Our's is imbedded into vBulletin, and you use [PGN] tags to get it to work. I recommend you register on OzChess and give it a try, if you like it we can talk about getting this installed here.
                      OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                      http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

I was actually looking at another Australian discussion board. But it's all good. I will go ahead and register on OzChess, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                          I was actually looking at another Australian discussion board. But it's all good. I will go ahead and register on OzChess, etc.
                          Okay. If you want me to put you in touch with the guy who did ours, let me know. He charged about $50. Also, our's includes tags, for instance event and time control. The one used on the other forum (main competitors) does not allow tags, so they have to be added manually to the post. Also, their's is much smaller as you probably already noticed.

Truthfully, we also used to have a second pgn viewer which worked by attaching pgn files through the attachment button, but when our forum migrated to a more recent version of vB, that mod stopped working. But it was also a beautiful pgn viewer. If this forum is willing to split costs, I can hire someone to investigate why its not working anymore and get him to repair it and install it on Chess Talk as well.
                          OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                          http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Working...
                          X