X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve Chess Talk

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Attention: Jean-Pierre Rhéaume

Use the expression "DIAGRAM" rather than "chessboard" and your efforts should be rewarded. Edited to add: I see that Chris Mallon has already replied here.

[/b]
    Yes Mr. Mallon and Mr. Hanrahan, you're right. Your posted almost at the same time :)

Thank you very much.

I was given "chessboard" instead of "diagram". A very easy mistake to make.

I was too busy in the Canada and Québec Open to come sooner.

As for your diagram, how about 2...Qg5 ?

Don't we all know that the threat is stronger than its execution ;)

Last edited by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume; Tuesday, 29th July, 2008, 10:42 AM. Reason: 2...Qg5 NOT 2...Qg4 & "is" missing

Comment

I totally think like a few other folks that a pgn viewer would be great not only just diagrams.
      lets see if this is implemented already.

[pgn]1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6[/pgn]

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        It seems to me that rather then dwelling on the mechanics of the web page, what would really improve this site is an influx of new posters. How about recruiting some people at the next Canadian Open? It wouldn't hurt to get some dialog on chess games and positions, for example. This could be facilitated if there was a ready made diagram available at the click of a mouse. I imagine some of our GMs would be happy to comment on some games once a dialog were established. I have always found some of the world's top players were only too happy to participate in chess discussions when approached personally - eg Boris Spassky, Bent Larsen in the original Chess Canada (Masters" Forum)!
        Wow! This post is revived after almost two years! The responses focused mostly on the idea of user friendly diagrams for chess positions. What I had in mind was a ready board with pieces on the side so you could click and drag a man into position.
        Also we now have GM Nakamura as a regular. Most gracious of him to do so!
        Now, if we had the chess diagram facility as well as a few more GMs posting, we could have a site drawing many more participants. However, if some of those making inane uninformed comments on this site turn their attention to the GM discussion of chess positions we will soon lose the GMs :(

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Wow! This post is revived after almost two years! The responses focused mostly on the idea of user friendly diagrams for chess positions. What I had in mind was a ready board with pieces on the side so you could click and drag a man into position.
          Also we now have GM Nakamura as a regular. Most gracious of him to do so!
          Now, if we had the chess diagram facility as well as a few more GMs posting, we could have a site drawing many more participants. However, if some of those making inane uninformed comments on this site turn their attention to the GM discussion of chess positions we will soon lose the GMs :(
          That would seem to depend on the GM's stand on climate change or whether the use of the French Defence should be immediately scored as 1-0 (or 3-0 if you prefer).

Having a chess forum without the ability to easily post pgn or diagrams or properly formatted analysis (lines, sub-lines etc) - especially after several years of operation - means that it is less about chess and more about anything else...
          Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 21st April, 2010, 09:16 AM. Reason: typos
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I wonder if this getting a pgn viewer is...

Easy to implement in less than 1 hour.

or

Way more difficult than that too implement.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Haukenfrers View Post
              I totally think like a few other folks that a pgn viewer would be great not only just diagrams.
              lets see if this is implemented already.

[pgn]1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6[/pgn]
              We have no problem doing this....can someone in the know do it for us :)

I am technically illiterate...

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry.

I also have no technical computer website expertise.

If you could more or less copy a site like Red hot pawn that would be convenient.

I don`t know if that is easy to do or not though.

Maybe you know some computer wizard in Montreal that would do it for you for 100 bucks or something but that is only speculation.
                :)

I only mean the chess forum part of red hot pawn though not the playing site part.
                Last edited by Dale Haukenfrers; Thursday, 22nd April, 2010, 01:52 AM.

Comment

http://code.google.com/p/pgn4web/wik...otes_vbulletin

A help how to implement a pgn viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Antheajane
                    Much as I love politics, I have to agree with those who say less politics more chess.
                    Kill the climate change thread. Drive a stake through its heart, cut off its head, bury it and sprinkle the ground with garlic cloves. I'll even refrain from mocking Paul Beckwith on May 2nd when things don't turn out the way he'd hoped.

Comment

Note that this thread was revived one year after the last posting - by a one-named subscriber (Antheajane) who was subsequently removed. I hope the moderator has time to go through the "members list" and remove others which do not meet the "first name, last name" standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        The time it took for you to post that message probably exceeded the time it would have taken to figure it out.
                        The question was how to improve ChessTalk, not how to develop work-arounds.

Comment

I just made this thread a "sticky" thread as I was trying to find some way for ChessTalk posters to post an entire .pgn game.

edited to add. OK, here is a link to another Discussion Board (Australia) where they have FEN and PGN features.

Lovely Helpmates on Auzzie Discussion Board
                          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 24th October, 2012, 11:03 PM. Reason: sample software on the Australian Discussion Board shown
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I think the thread forgot a question mark in the title :)

If yes, then please go through the members' list, and delete all

15mgpropanth
                            20dollarseasy
                            20dollarszn5f
                            etc

Comment

Just a thought, but I think we need a seperate forum for stickies (5 is clearly too many!). Plus seperate forum(s) for (categorized?) non-chess topics, e.g. real world politics.
                              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 14th March, 2013, 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
                              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                                Just a thought, but I think we need a seperate forum for stickies (5 is clearly too many!). Plus seperate forum(s) for (categorized?) non-chess topics, e.g. real world politics.
                                I agree that stickies are annoying! I think the solution is including a sidebar on the right of the main body of the posts. This is common in other web sites (Susan Polgar for example).
                                Now the stickies can be posted on the sidebar as well as any non chess-related threads. There, also, the spam invaders can be invited to buy ad space to sell their wares. Furthermore, that is a good space to place links to other chess sites - the CFC, Live Ratings, Chess Bomb Games, Susan Polgar's Blog etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X