Canada's best player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada's best player

Have they all agreed to play? I thought Hansen was needing to be paid to play. Are we paying all the players?

Comment

Re: Characteristics of a Winner of the Order of Canada Medal?

So Jon Hammer is the strongest player in Norway?

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
      I have a very simple take on this topic. We hold a Canadian Chess Championship every so often. The winner of that is our best player - he is the Champion!

Being the champ matters. The champ carries our standard and plays first board for our country unless he gives up that right.

Our current Champion has no apologies to make to any of his fellow GMs for being the champ. Being younger, touted as more promising by some blowhards and/or higher rated at FIDE does not win the Canadian Chess Championship. You must play in it and win it. Anyone who wants to be our best player can help themselves to the title of Canadian Chess Champion at the next outing. So until he loses the title I am sticking with the current champ GM Bator Sambuev as our best player.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

"Strongest" Canadian Player

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        So Jon Hammer is the strongest player in Norway?
        :D - good point!

Bob A

Comment

Re: A Chess-Learning Environment for Juniors - What does it look like?

Dear KS,
          I know you read this blog, no matter how many times you write that you do not. To clarify, since you have trouble following the thread of a conversation, I have nothing against the pics you post, even though it seems to say you are sexually repressed. It also points out that your chess content is not enough to drive people to your site. I don't like you because you are a d*ck. You write horrible things about Canadians you have never met and have never done anything to you. Go take some more of your me****tion.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 12th January, 2014, 01:11 PM. Reason: personal attack

Comment

Re: Characteristics of a Winner of the Order of Canada Medal?

To answer Tom about Norway. Jon Hammer is their champion and can claim to be the strongest player in Norway. Magnus Carlsen is just the world champion and the strongest player in the world. And while I do not know this for a fact, I think Magnus Carlsen has moved on and now leaves individual countries for other players to claim.

It is wonderful when a country has this issue to deal with! In Canada this has not come up.

Comment

Re: Canada's best player

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
              Have they all agreed to play? I thought Hansen was needing to be paid to play. Are we paying all the players?
              A sponsorship deal has been offered and is being pursued. Hal Bond has made mention of it in his report for the Governors meeting that is now in session. We can't give details at the moment. We will need to fund both teams as the proposed sponsorship does not cover the expense of sending the two teams.

Originally posted by Hal Bond
              The CFC Executive is now in the process of appointing our Selection Committee. Funding our teams is always a challenge and this year we are fortunate enough to be pursuing a sponsorship arrangement which will see our players paid a modest stipend and bonuses based performance. If we can stay the course, Canada will field its strongest teams ever.
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 12th January, 2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X