• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony featured on Chessbase

Very nice article about Harmony Zhu on chessbase today:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-rem...ed-harmony-zhu
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Harmony featured on Chessbase

Very strange, they've conflated elements of Harmony's 2012 WYCC (being sick, celebrating her birthday mid tournament, being photographed with Kasparov) and this year's event (becoming world champion).

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      Very strange, they've conflated elements of Harmony's 2012 WYCC (being sick, celebrating her birthday mid tournament, being photographed with Kasparov) and this year's event (becoming world champion).
      Chessbase seems to have a bunch of issues... I didn't realize those oddities until you pointed them out. I have seen tweet(s) from David Llada (a chess journalist) who complains that on more than one occasion CB has used his pictures without any attribution and without his permission. Very shoddy as far as I am concerned. Don't even get me started on the quality of their software/support etc. but at least they seem to highlight 'the news' a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Very nice article about Harmony Zhu on chessbase today:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-rem...ed-harmony-zhu
        I had to LOL at the quote about meeting Gary Kasparov:

"Mr. Kasparov is a nice man with very dark eyes. He is old but still handsome."

Comment

I'm not sure Harmony should have revealed her Achilles Heel to the world. Her chess opponents may soon start wearing Peter Pan shirts to further distract her (:

"... I can hardly concentrate on the chess board because of my own composed music in my head!" says Harmony. "I just cannot get rid of it. Sometimes I even think about Tinker Bell, Peter Pan, Snow White and lots of other characters from the movies I have seen. I guess this is why I always play so slowly and run out of time."

Comment

Fantastic article about an absolutely amazing young Canadian world chess champion. I was helping to run the CYCC in Ottawa last summer, and tried to make a point of finding time to watch a bit of Harmony's play. She was clearly a level above every other player in her section. :)

Comment

What is more impressive, her chess or her piano? If her chess rating is about 1900 as I understand, what would be her piano rating?
              Is there any top chess player that excels in other field as Harmony does?

Comment

I listened to one of her piano recitals on u-tube. It was amazing!
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                  Harmony is simply amazing. She is a living embodiment of a Renaissance ideal!
                  Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Monday, 20th January, 2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                    Depends on your definition, but GMs Simen Agdestein (football) and Mark Taimanov (piano) come to mind, while Luke McShane and Matthew Sadler who played in the London Chess Classic in December both have day jobs. Historically there were many players who were "part-time," e.g., World Champion Max Euwe who taught mathematics as a profession.

Comment

Harmony is certianly deserving of more press. What an amazing young talent!! Lets see more.

Comment

Harmony will be performing on the Ellen Degeneres show today.

Tuesday, November 4th

Ellen welcomes the cast of “Annie”
                        JAMIE FOXX and CAMERON DIAZ and QUVENZHANE WALLIS

Performance by 8 year-old piano prodigy HARMONY ZHU from Toronto, Canada.

Comment

Harmony plays on Ellen D

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post

Tuesday, November 4th
                          Performance by 8 year-old piano prodigy HARMONY ZHU from Toronto, Canada.
                          Why wait?

It's online now:

Plays better in this than in her other YouTube clips, IMHO.

http://www.ellentv.com/videos/0-8nndnw71/

Comment

Re: Harmony plays on Ellen D

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                            Why wait?

It's online now:

Plays better in this than in her other YouTube clips, IMHO.

http://www.ellentv.com/videos/0-8nndnw71/
                            That video player doesn't allow fast forward?? Ugh. Maybe I'll see if it is on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                              Seems no piggies this time LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X