Reykjavik Open 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reykjavik Open 2014

Starts with a big surprise: Canada's Daniel Abrahams drew in rd 1 vs #2 seed Li Chao: FIDE 2700

1. e4 c5
    2. Nf3 Nc6
    3. Nc3 d6
    4. d4 cxd4
    5. Nxd4 Nf6
    6. Be2 e5
    7. Nb3 Be7
    8. Bg5 O-O
    9. Bxf6 Bxf6
    10. Nd5 Bg5
    11. Bg4 Be6
    12. O-O Rc8
    13. c3 Ne7
    14. Nxe7 Qxe7
    15. Qf3 Rcd8
    16. Rfd1 g6
    17. Bxe6 fxe6
    18. Qe2 Bh4
    19. g3 Bf6
    20. Rd3 Qc7
    21. Rad1 Be7
    22. Qg4 Qc4
    23. R1d2 Kg7
    24. Na5 Qc8
    25. b3 b5
    26. h4 h5
    27. Qe2 Rd7
    28. b4 Rc7
    29. Rc2 Qb8
    30. a3 Rcc8
    31. Rd1 Bd8
    32. Nb3 Bb6
    33. Qd3 d5
    34. Kg2 Rc4
    35. f3 dxe4
    36. fxe4 Rd8
    37. Qf3 Rxd1
    38. Qxd1 Rxe4
    39. Qd7 Kh6
    40. Nc5 Qa8
    41. Kh2 Bxc5
    42. bxc5 Qf8
    43. Kg2 Rc4
    44. Rf2 Qxc5
    45. Qd2 Kg7
    46. Qd7 Kh6
    47. Qd2
    draw

Re: Reykjavik Open

Well done Abrahams! I'm thinking this must be a record of some sort. Always knew you were pretty good.

Comment

Holy good shit! Drawing is Daniel's specialty :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Yu View Post
        Holy good shit! Drawing is Daniel's specialty :-)
        Wesley: "So, not!"

Comment

Here is some slightly annoying commentary on the tournament's official website, "explaining" the upset draw:

"As expected, there were very few upsets on the top boards, with the notable exception of Daniel Abrahams (2055) holding Li Chao B (2700) to a draw on board 2. This might be due to the fact that Li Chao B, like Amin Bassem, Samy Shoker and young Chithambaram Aravindh, was participating in the very strong Cannes Open, which ended just 2 days ago. Playing two such strong tournaments in a row is hugely tiring and it will be interesting to see how Li Chao B recovers from this."

http://www.reykjavikopen.com/round-1/

Comment

I hate when they trot out some big excuse why a guy lost or drew. No weaker player ever beats or draws a stronger player who is well. They're always sick or disadvantaged in some way.

Excuses are for children. It was a good draw.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I hate when they trot out some big excuse why a guy lost or drew. No weaker player ever beats or draws a stronger player who is well. They're always sick or disadvantaged in some way.

Excuses are for children. It was a good draw.
              Tartakower - "I never defeated a healthy opponent."

Comment

Who was the English master who travelled to Germany to play the great Anderssen (circa 1850) then lost game after game with an excuse after each loss?
                Finally after losing the fifth game, he exclaimed "By God, I believe the man is my equal!"

Comment

I love that quote. I'd never heard it before. :D
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                    Who was the English master who travelled to Germany to play the great Anderssen (circa 1850) then lost game after game with an excuse after each loss?
                    Finally after losing the fifth game, he exclaimed "By God, I believe the man is my equal!"
                    In Googling your quote, Vlad, I got a somewhat different rendition:

Here's a passage from the book Martin Beheim (ed. and trans. Leonard Barden) 'Chess with the Masters' Arco Pub. Co. NY, 1963.

"Naturally there are methods of preserving decorum in defeat, whether through rationalizing within oneself, or simply by keeping up outward appearances. The following story may indicate a helpful method for many people.

Burletzki, a much feared coffee-house player. arranged a match with the German master Kohnlein. The match consisted of six games, and is supposed to have taken place in 1908. Burletzki entered the fray with much confidence and a boosted ego, but Kohnlein won the first game. Burletzki said: 'I made a stupid mistake.'

Kohnlein won the second game. Burletzki: 'One can't win every game.'

Kohnlein won the third game. Burletzki: 'I'm not in form today.'

Kohnlein won the fourth game: Burletzki: 'He's not a bad player.'

Kohnlein won the fifth game. Burletzki: 'I've underestimated the man.'

Kohnlein won the sixth game. Burletzki: 'I believe the man's my equal.'

Comment

Reykjavik Open 2014

In Round 3 on board 66:

Derraugh Geordie vs Ferreira Alex

Travel all that way to play each other...

see Canadian results by this link:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1116...flag=30&wi=821
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

See also this forum at:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ight=burletzki

and reply

Comment

Re: Reykjavik Open 2014

Make the best of it - quick result and enjoy Rejkjavik! (try to get to one of those house parties guys!) Im impressed with how many Canadians are playing - the word is out!

Comment

If I was there I'd don the rubber boots and go scraping the caviar off the rocks and in the evenings Id toast the GM's with Black Death (or maybe not at my age?!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                              Make the best of it - quick result and enjoy Rejkjavik! (try to get to one of those house parties guys!) Im impressed with how many Canadians are playing - the word is out!
                              Way back when - in the 70's - the way to get to Europe cheaply was to fly to Iceland, since the country is only half way there it did not fall under the international airlines rates regulations (to avoid a fare war I guess) and then buy another flight to Europe.
                              I wonder if the low air fares still apply.

Comment

Working...
                              X