Ontario Girls' Chess Championship 2014
    May 25, 2014
    U of T Mississauga Campus, Faculty Lounge, 3rd floor
    Sponsor and host: Mississauga Chess Club
    5 round, Swiss pairings
    Register by May 20th to rgillanders@cogeco.ca
    Onsite check in: 12-12:30pm, Round Times: 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm
    Entry fee: $25, Time Control: 25 minutes
    Prizes: Trophies, score of 2.5 or better qualify for the CYCC (Montreal July 2014)
    for updates and pre registered list: www.miltonchess.ca

Re: Ontario Girls' Chess Championships 2014

Is CFC membership required? Can it be renewed or obtained at check in?

Comment

CFC membership is NOT required.

Comment

Registrations are starting to come in.
        Please spread the word. We all agree more girls playing chess is good, right!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Registrations are starting to come in.
          Please spread the word. We all agree more girls playing chess is good, right!
          Definitely!

Comment

Breaking news!

Confirmed with CMA:
            The winners will play a match against Quebec in Kingston on June 7th.

Are we up for the challenge! :)

Comment

Breaking news!

Confirmed with CMA:
              The winners will play a match against Quebec in Kingston on June 7th.

Are we up for the challenge! :)
              Great news indeed !

Comment

Just 12 girls registered to date. www.miltonchess.ca
                Keep them coming.....sooner is better. Extra prizes for early registrants. :)

Comment

Mr Gillanders:
                  I am shocked and appalled - bit unfortunately not completely surprised - that you are running this tournament on the same day as the final day of the 47th annual Ontario High School Chess Championship.
                  I am sure that Corinna Wan, the founder of the OGCC, and along-time supporter of the OHSCC, would be shocked as well.
                  I am not completely surprised, because chess organisers in Canada often fail to consider each other's events when planning their own.

The last round of the OHSCC starts Sunday May 25 at 9:30 am.
                  The games of girls in the Championship may not be finished until after 2 pm.

To run two Ontario Championships for students on the same week-end is unfair to the students.
                  Your event is completely disrespectful of the 47th Ontario High School Chess Championship - an event which is supported by the OCA.

PLEASE RE-CONSIDER, AND CHANGE YOUR DATE.

Christopher Field.
                  chris.field@bell.net

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Field View Post
                    Mr Gillanders:
                    I am shocked and appalled - bit unfortunately not completely surprised - that you are running this tournament on the same day as the final day of the 47th annual Ontario High School Chess Championship.
                    I am sure that Corinna Wan, the founder of the OGCC, and along-time supporter of the OHSCC, would be shocked as well.
                    I am not completely surprised, because chess organisers in Canada often fail to consider each other's events when planning their own.

The last round of the OHSCC starts Sunday May 25 at 9:30 am.
                    The games of girls in the Championship may not be finished until after 2 pm.

To run two Ontario Championships for students on the same week-end is unfair to the students.
                    Your event is completely disrespectful of the 47th Ontario High School Chess Championship - an event which is supported by the OCA.

PLEASE RE-CONSIDER, AND CHANGE YOUR DATE.

Christopher Field.
                    chris.field@bell.net
                    Hi Chris,

The OGCC is the 3rd of 3 kids tournaments we are running this season at the Mississauga club. All 3 have been particularly difficult to schedule to avoid all conflicts. I regret that we were unable to avoid a conflict with the OHSCC. This season has been rich with both adult and kids tournaments, and avoiding all of them was impossible. Very few of the girls at the OGCC are of high school age yet. With that in mind, I concluded a conflict with the OHSCC was the least offensive one.

At the very least, I should have given you a courtesy "heads up" when I scheduled it. I am sorry.
                    I don't see rescheduling at this late date a viable option. Is there anything else we can do to make it right?
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 10th May, 2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Chris,

The OGCC is the 3rd of 3 kids tournaments we are running this season at the Mississauga club. All 3 have been particularly difficult to schedule to avoid all conflicts. I regret that we were unable to avoid a conflict with the OHSCC. This season has been rich with both adult and kids tournaments, and avoiding all of them was impossible. Very few of the girls at the OGCC are of high school age yet. With that in mind, I concluded a conflict with the OHSCC was the least offensive one.

At the very least, I should have given you a courtesy "heads up" when I scheduled it. I am sorry.
                      I don't see rescheduling at this late date a viable option. Is there anything else we can do to make it right?
                      I hope you will still change your date.
                      The OHSCC is indeed mainly for high school students.
                      But it is OPEN to all students. We have had players from all grades, even grade 1.
                      We have girls registered in all three sections. Most would be too tired to start another tournament on Sunday, even if they finish our last round in time.
                      Many are younger players, who would I am sure like to play in the OGCC if you change the date.

In chess.

Chris Field.

Comment

Pre registered list now up to 16 girls.
                        Also, not to be forgotten, back by popular demand, drum roll.....
                        the side event for boys, parents, and ladies. :)

Okay, I'm grabbing a beer and sitting down to email everyone, get those registrations flowing!!!
                        (well, after I read thru the new posts for FIDE election.:))

And best wishes for a big turnout at the OHSCC, despite the scheduling conflict. Chris has done a tremendous job with the OHSCC over many years. Thank you Chris.
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 12th May, 2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Well, registrations are trickling in, were at 20 girls now.

Let's not forget, the winners (grade 1-6) get to represent Ontario in a match against Quebec.
                          The match will be arranged by CMA in Kingston on June 7th.

Also, trophies for top 3 in each section.
                          Extra door prizes for early registration, first 50 girls.

OGCC will be rated both with CFC and CMA.
                          OGCC is also a CYCC qualifier tournament.

Also, wow there's more, why yes, Bob!
                          We have a section for the boys, parents, and ladies over 18.
                          (No trophies, we're saving them all for the girls, but lots of fun.)

Please join the tournament and help us get more girls playing chess! :)
                          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 15th May, 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Preregistered List

Paige Radin U10
                            Claire Radin U10
                            Allyson Xu U12
                            Kylie Tan U10
                            Saanya Pal U12
                            Vaishavi Sathyamoorthi U14
                            Yilin Liao U8
                            Olivia Love U12
                            Sydney Love U10
                            Angela Cao U12
                            Sarah Joanne Padillo U16
                            Heying (Amelia) Cui U10
                            Aimee Lenihan U12
                            Kylie Lenihan U12
                            Anke Mok U8
                            Emma He U10
                            Lisa Yuan U12
                            Rachel Han U10
                            Vaanie Kathirkamar U14
                            Janani Kathirkamar U12
                            Bethany Mete

Side event (parents, siblings, boys, ladies, etc.)
                            Saloni Sharma
                            Colton Lenihan
                            Milos Todorovic

We are expecting between 40 and 60 girls
                            Sections will be by age:
                            U8, U10,U12,U14,U16,U18
                            Sections will be combined where necessary.
                            Registered girls = 21
                            last update = May 18
                            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 19th May, 2014, 01:44 AM.

Comment

A few more registrations have come in......but disappointing.
                              But it is not too late to register, and the late fee has been waived until midnight saturday.

Help us promote chess for girls. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X