Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A protest to Nigel Haranham

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. An observation: many teams have players born in Russia on them. Shall we require that all of these players make similar statements or is it a requirement that the players be living in Russia? So, for example, if Kramnik is on the Russian team but lives in France much of the time, would he have to make a statement? And what about non-Russians who approve of what Putin is doing? And what if the Canadian team itself decides that they want to play the Russians anyway and over-rule their captain?

I am not unsympathetic to what you are proposing but it seems to me the mechanics are very complicated. Or perhaps I am over-thinking this?
    Tom, thank you for your reply. My argument is actually not flowless. Its unrealistic to ask all Russian born players to confess that they are or are not supporting what Putin's done. However those who play for Russia have to take a stand, IMHO. I'm curious if Ukraine will agree to play Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Are you nuts?
      Hope you are not one of the Putin's supporters. Aren't you?

Comment

Almost all Russian terrorists near Donetsk are being LIQUIDATED.
        по информации самих ополченцев, в ходе военных действий было убито более 150 человек и 300 ранены http://www.62.ua/news/542934
        AS THE TERRORISTS CONFESSED OVER 150 OF THEM ARE KILLED AND 300 INJURED.
        Last edited by Sasha Starr; Monday, 26th May, 2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Apologies Sasha, but I only know you by association with Nava Starr. I could not find significant information about you on Google, Facebook or LinkedIn. I see that you play on average in one CFC rated tournament per year. Please elaborate more about your history with chess in Canada. I would also like to know who you intend to meet with tomorrow to have KI added to the current sanctions list. What politician or lobby group do you know or are affiliated with to have influence?

PS: Nava probably does not remember me, but back in 85-86, I was a Co-op student at Canstar Communications, and i recall her. Tell her I said hello.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
            Almost all Russian terrorists near Donetsk are being LIQUIDATED.
            по информации самих ополченцев, в ходе военных действий было убито более 150 человек и 300 ранены http://www.62.ua/news/542934
            AS THE TERRORISTS CONFESSED OVER 150 OF THEM ARE KILLED AND 300 INJURED.
            RUSSIA IS PAYING DEARLY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE. CFC is one of the few Western organizations (don't know any other) supporting them.

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused. How is this post supposed to garner support AGAINST Russia? This is the killing of 150 militants by Ukranian forces. Seem to me a post that Nigel would point to as evidence for his view.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                Apologies Sasha, but I only know you by association with Nava Starr. I could not find significant information about you on Google, Facebook or LinkedIn. I see that you play on average in one CFC rated tournament per year. Please elaborate more about your history with chess in Canada. I would also like to know who you intend to meet with tomorrow to have KI added to the current sanctions list. What politician or lobby group do you know or are affiliated with to have influence?

PS: Nava probably does not remember me, but back in 85-86, I was a Co-op student at Canstar Communications, and i recall her. Tell her I said hello.
                Thank you, she is already asleep, but tomorrow morning I'll tell her that!
                The reason that I have not played more often was that I've travelled a lot lately, including to Russia, and believe me, I know first hand of what's going on there.

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused. How is this post supposed to garner support AGAINST Russia? This is the killing of 150 militants by Ukranian forces. Seem to me a post that Nigel would point to as evidence for his view.
                  Ukraine is an independent state and must protect its citizens against terrorists. They refused to resign and were checkmated, sorry...

Comment

I just deleted what I was about to post after recognizing that it would just lead to a potential flame war.

Regardless, I will say this. You just condoned the killing of 150 militants as "protecting citizens". This is the same excuse used in many tolitaritian states. Witness Egypt and Syria as examples. If your view of Putin is accurate, then the Ukraine is falling into Putins hands with these actions.

Comment

I just deleted what I was about to post after recognizing that it would just lead to a potential flame war.

Regardless, I will say this. You just condoned the killing of 150 militants as "protecting citizens". This is the same excuse used in many tolitaritian states. Witness Egypt and Syria as examples. If your view of Putin is accurate, then the Ukraine is falling into Putins hands with these actions.
                      Look, the issue is not simple, but for several months Ukraine was attacked by Putin's regime who's used some sophisticated tactics by sending covered armed forces (later Putin admitted that they were in fact Russians) and using all kind of lies on the state run TV and mass media that Ukrainians are fashists and anticemites, etc. and Russia will protect Russian speaking people etc. So first they've annexed Krimea, and later have tried the same in Donetsk and Luhansk. In Donetsk they've tried to control the airport. However they've forgotten that yesterday there was an election in Ukraine, and today we have a legitimate Ukrainian Government, recognized by all civilized World, Canada as well. Hope it inludes GFG. And I believe that Ukraine MUST defend its territory, same as Israel. Full stop. Period.
                      Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 27th May, 2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
                        RUSSIA IS PAYING DEARLY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE. CFC is one of the few Western organizations (don't know any other) supporting them.
                        How exactly is the CFC supporting Russia? You seem to be foaming at the mouth now.

Comment

I have issues with Israel at times as well. Nobody's hands are clean there either.

I note that you are originally from Ukraine, so obviously this is a factor I need to consider when reading your posts, but if NATO or the UN are to be involved, it is to halt bloodshed, not aid in it. If it devolves to civil war, then we are best to stay out, as in Syria.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            ...You seem to be foaming at the mouth now.

That's a quite apt description of the true subject of this thread, Nigel Hanrahan, with his use of terms like "sinister", "venom", "thuggish", "jackboot", "governments intent on making war on those who teach and care for children", "demonizing", "barbaric policies", "savage neo-liberal cutbacks".

I wonder if his eyes roll back into his head as he writes this stuff. Meanwhile, Vlad, you ignore the real foaming at the mouth and seem appalled by much milder stuff coming from... why, Sasha, of course, the one you have such a problem with.

It's all so predictable... too bad, Vlad, your great predictive powers don't apply to yourself.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I have issues with Israel at times as well. Nobody's hands are clean there either.
                              No little girls ever got stoned to death in Israel at the hands of the government for posting on facebook. No school girls got shot in the head or had acid thrown in their faces for wanting to go to school and being outspoken about it. No school girl got sold for $12 as a child bride slave. There are problems in Israel mostly because they are surrounded by people with the stated goal of killing them but you can't seriously be claiming some kind of moral equivalency.

This whole business of Kirsan = Putin = Hitler is a distraction for the fact that we have a challenger who has some real baggage. If he can run against Hitler or even Putin he just might be able to win. Unfortunately he is running against Kirsan and not one of those other individuals that everyone seems to want us to focus on. It doesn't matter if you manage to overthrow half a dozen federations in order to force them to vote the way you want them to vote. It won't be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                                I am no fan of Nigel, particularly with respect to his politics, and I have had some issues with his moderation style.

But to you, this is clearly personal somehow. Also, I have always made it a point to spell people's names properly whether I agree with them or not. It is a basic sign of basic respect.

With respect to your various posts about things that are far away from Canada, and about which most, average CFC members would have little information, it is clear you want to bully the CFC into voting a certain way regarding FIDE.

The CFC's vote should not be determined by whether or not a previous sponsor would return if the CFC votes a certain way.

That's the irony that Vlad was speaking about.

Steve

The CFC should CONSIDER whether or not a previous sponsor would return if the CFC votes a certain way. The sponsor has a right to ask this of the CFC, and the CFC likewise has a right to ignore that request. But the request should at least be considered, not dismissed out of hand because of 'principles' while insulting the sponsor as if he's some kind of monster.

The CFC's vote should likewise not be determined by whether or not there would be recriminations against the CFC if they voted a certain way. This is the double irony that Vlad (and you) don't get.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X