Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silencing the moderator?

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    As a moderator you should have not be allowed to put ANY posts at all.
    I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Surprised?

Frankly, this discussion board is nothing compared to some of the sites I've participated in. OTOH, If ChessTalk rated a full-time paid moderator, I might agree with you. That would be a great day for chess in Canada if we had that much interest in the Discussion Board. Mind you, I'd still insist on the right to contribute to debate in my spare time. That's one of the main reason why I'm here. As long as I'm not using my position as Moderator to try to impose my views - much like the supporters of Garry Kimovich seem to have been trying to do - then there should be no cause for complaint.

And I challenge you, or anyone else, to provide evidence that I've been misusing my position as Moderator. You won't find any examples. You will find examples, however, where I argue my points and defend my position on this issue or that that I feel strongly about.

Real debate is a good thing. The bigger the participating audience, the more difficult it is to defend unsound positions. Why, it's almost like a chess game described in that famous quote by Lasker.

Try it, you'll like it.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: silencing the moderator?

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Surprised?

Frankly, this discussion board is nothing compared to some of the sites I've participated in. OTOH, If ChessTalk rated a full-time paid moderator, I might agree with you. That would be a great day for chess in Canada if we had that much interest in the Discussion Board. Mind you, I'd still insist on the right to contribute to debate in my spare time. That's one of the main reason why I'm here. As long as I'm not using my position as Moderator to try to impose my views - much like the supporters of Garry Kimovich seem to have been trying to do - then there should be no cause for complaint.

And I challenge you, or anyone else, to provide evidence that I've been misusing my position as Moderator. You won't find any examples. You will find examples, however, where I argue my points and defend my position on this issue or that that I feel strongly about.

Real debate is a good thing. The bigger the participating audience, the more difficult it is to defend unsound positions. Why, it's almost like a chess game described in that famous quote by Lasker.

Try it, you'll like it.
      I'm curious why a man of such talants would agree to become unpaid moderator?
      Last edited by Sasha Starr; Thursday, 29th May, 2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I'm curious why a man of such talants would agree to become unpaid moderator?
        lol. For the same reasons that people volunteer to do anything. Chess in Canada would be nothing without all the volunteers that organize and run tournaments, raise money for same, run chess clubs in schools and out, teach chess to children and adults, promote the game by positive publicity, and on and on.

And I don't have a particularly high opinion of my own abilities. Many people could do this job with one hand tied behind their back. OTOH, I haven't finished reading this thread and I've already found at least one post of yours that could be considered gloating over the deaths of a number of people. Do I need to spell out to you why that is inappropriate on a discussion board that children are welcome to read?

Comment

lol. For the same reasons that people volunteer to do anything. Chess in Canada would be nothing without all the volunteers that organize and run tournaments, raise money for same, run chess clubs in schools and out, teach chess to children and adults, promote the game by positive publicity, and on and on.

And I don't have a particularly high opinion of my own abilities. Many people could do this job with one hand tied behind their back. OTOH, I haven't finished reading this thread and I've already found at least one post of yours that could be considered gloating over the deaths of a number of people. Do I need to spell out to you why that is inappropriate on a discussion board that children are welcome to read?
          Children must learn that their land must be defended against foreign armed nationals and terrorists.

Comment

wtf?

Almost all Russian terrorists near Donetsk are being LIQUIDATED.
            по информации самих ополченцев, в ходе военных действий было убито более 150 человек и 300 ранены ...

(url deleted)

AS THE TERRORISTS CONFESSED OVER 150 OF THEM ARE KILLED AND 300 INJURED.
            (moderator hat on) Sasha, this is practically gloating over people being killed. It's not appropriate here as we try to make this Discussion Board a safe place for everyone, including some talented kids that share a skill and love for chess along with adults. Try to think if someone you care about, say a boy or girl wanting to read about Canadian chess, read this.

You're welcome to express your views without over the top stuff like this.
            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 27th May, 2014, 10:31 PM. Reason: moderator hat is on, ok?

Comment

Re: wtf?

Try to think if someone you care about, say a boy or girl wanting to read about Canadian chess, read this.

You're welcome to express your views without over the top stuff like this.
              If you are pretend to be so careful, why you posted this one with all details?
              http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post81060

As for moderation: the forum would be better with more overlook - threads on the topic, non-chess related to own subforum.

Comment

Re: A protest to Nigel Haranham

[VD]:"The subject of Israel was brought up. I have given my take on the situation in Israel. I do not have much patience for the notion that Israel is morally equivalent to those who would seek to destroy her."

The comparison of Israel defending itself against militants versus Ukraine defending itself against militants was valid. You tried to destroy the comparison by bringing in inflammatory images of what Israel's enemies are doing to school girls. If Israel were on the high moral ground you seem to want to place her on, then Israel would not just defend its borders, but would invade these countries and rescue said school girls from the treatment you mention. But Israel has no such concerns despite being fully able to do something about it, and so is complicit in these acts.

There is a fine moral line between not spraying acid on school girls and sitting idly by while others right next to you spray acid on school girls.

[VD]:"This is not a trial except perhaps in the court of public opinion and it seems to me that I am winning that battle at least among those who exhibit some common sense. If your moral outrage is some kind of an act then save it. I have dealt with much more skilled practitioners of the techniques that you are seeking to employ here and they failed miserably. If you really believe in this line of horse manure... blah blah blah..."

Yes, I can see that you've 'dealt with' those who challenge you, and I see exactly how you do it. But unlike them, I don't let you get away with it. Off-topic, inflammatory images would not be allowed in a court of law and any person reading this thread who thinks he or she would make an impartial juror must likewise dismiss your techniques as unscrupulous and distasteful to the extreme. Your simplistic assertions of some great past superiority and use of derogatory names for valid arguments work against you. You are a mere child and you can't see the people for the grownups. Of course, there's a fool born every minute, and it is to them that you play with some effect. One can only hope that the lunatics are not indeed taking over the asylum.

[VD]:"The burden is on you to support this ridiculous assertion [Kirsan = Putin = Hitler]. There are two clear breaks in your chain of logic. For all of his sins Putin is clearly at this point not Hitler. To claim that he is shows a certain insensitivity to the millions of victims of Hitler. Further Kirsan is not Putin. He was let go by Putin many years ago."

I'm glad you said "Putin AT THIS POINT is not Hitler". There were a lot of points in history at which Hitler was not yet Hitler. Putin is on a path, and that path may lead to Hitler-like behaviour. We don't know, but the trend is not looking good. And I believe Sid made clear things between Kirsan and Putin: "Kirsan has had plenty of contact with Putin since then and has full support of the Russian government in his campaign including use of their embassies around the world." So again, Vlad, you are selectively choosing little nuggets of information that support your narrow view of the world, when the full facts show quite a different world. You are the one who is not doing a full reading and understanding of the evidence. A lot of us saw this in the climate change thread as well: when you get stuck on a belief, no amount of evidence can sway you. Not a good leadership quality.

I am not MAKING the assertion that Kirsan = Putin = Hitler, I am PRESENTING it as a possibility that has probability > 0 of being or becoming true. I do this because allegations that have not been disproven are out there. If you had children and there were allegations that couldn't be disproven that your neighbour was a pedophile, would you be so trusting as to let your children go somewhere with that neighbour? I dare you to answer that question honestly!

[VD]:"So far I see only you making such a claim. If Kirsan was guilty of such things then he would be a very bad man. There is no evidence of such things even in the articles presented claiming to show such things. If you are going to present evidence that you have not read or understood then this is going to be a big waste of time as dealing with you and your hissy fits often are."

I am repeating claims others have made in this thread and others, not making them on my own.

I'm so glad you use language like this: when people I expose as 'legends in their own mind' call my posts 'horse manure' or 'hissy fits', I know I am hitting home and winning the logical argument. The truth hurts. So just lash back by saying I don't read nor understand evidence. Good one!

Hey Tom O'Donnell, have you seen those emails yet? Bet they changed your mind, huh? LOL

[VD]:"I see 0% probability that Kirsan is guilty of crimes against humanity. I see a number of people using intellectually dishonest arguments... blah blah blah..."
                And this is the coupe-de-grace. Folks, we have it from Vlad, 0% probability. He came down from the mountain with the tablets and declares Kirsan's total innocence. You can all go home and sleep easy. We're going to hold our nose and vote for Kirsan. Because as for Kasparov, well.... Vlad has EMAILS! And don't worry about moral equivalency: possible crimes against humanity by Kirsan don't hold a candle to possible crimes against chess federations by Kasparov.

Vlad's double standard means we can hold Israel up proudly as a highly moral nation because the govt doesn't spray acid on school girls, and at the same time we can hold Kirsan up as a valuable leader of FIDE even though there are allegations yet to be refuted that he might possibly have committed equally heinous crimes against people... but that's ok because he's the better person than Kasparov for chess in Canada.

Vlad even went so far as to post that if Kasparov were running against Hitler, Kasparov 'just might be able to win' (and where were all the Godwin's Law fanatics for this one?):

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...1138#post81138

This seems to speak volumes about Vlad's sense of how the voting federations in FIDE would rate, in deciding their vote, known immorality even of the most extreme nature versus Kasparov's alleged crimes against federations. Quite an indictment. It makes one wonder how Vlad can stand to even be involved with FIDE at all... unless...??? (hint: double standard on moral equivalency)....

But who in the CFC needs morals? Just like, who in the CFC needs sponsors? As long as we have PRINCIPLES that we stand by, right, Vlad? LOL

Vlad is basking in the limelight with all the congratulations for his work in getting the nfp continuation. Well deserved as that might be, there is far more to being an effective leader than meeting some government regulations. And so as you all congratulate him and think maybe the CFC has finally gotten the President it has been asking for, let me remind you of the wise saying:

"Be very careful what you ask for. You just might get it."
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

"Never again answer confusion when it speaks because when you do
                  you are caught. Be silent and the confusion will disappear." - Vernon Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    "Never again answer confusion when it speaks because when you do
                    you are caught. Be silent and the confusion will disappear." - Vernon Howard

Other people's quotations... the last refuge of the damned.
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      As for moderation: the forum would be better with more overlook - threads on the topic, non-chess related to own subforum.
                      Or even better: NO non-chess threads.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Or even better: NO non-chess threads.
                        This is a chess thread. The ugly side but still chess.

The best which might be able to be argued is chess politics should stay on the CFC message forum.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

"We'll see how Sasha's campaign to add Kirsan to the sanctions list goes".
                          I've had a great meeting. NEED A COMPLETE FILE ON KI. Thank you.
                          What happens if you're successful? Does the CFC have to withdraw from FIDE because KI is president and withdraw from the Olympiad and all other FIDE events for the juniors?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            What happens if you're successful? Does the CFC have to withdraw from FIDE because KI is president and withdraw from the Olympiad and all other FIDE events for the juniors?

If KI goes on the US and EU sanctions list, FIDE might use emergency measures to depose KI and appoint an interim President, likely GK?
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              If KI goes on the US and EU sanctions list, FIDE might use emergency measures to depose KI and appoint an interim President, likely GK?
                              You're talking roughly 30 nations which is a very small number. Your U.S. has sanctions against Cuba and it means NOTHING in Canada.

I'm asking how much the chess players in Canada will be screwed, if at all, and you don't know.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                                Most likely. I don't think he cares about what chaos ensues from his actions.

Comment

Working...
                                X