Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WC match set for Sochi ...

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    It doesn't much matter to me who FIDE has as an opponent for Anand in the WC match. I doubt Carlsen can defeat him a second time. Like in the old days when they had rematches and a challenger won the match but lost the rematch.

I read stuff like "Kirsan is next" but never a time frame. It's like those who stand on the corner with a sign reading "The World is Ending".
    Would you like to set a wager on this one?

Comment

If it is a wager on whether Carlsen can defeat Anand the second go-around. I'll place money on Carlsen, at 2:1 odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
        Would you like to set a wager on this one?
        A wager on what?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          World Match in Sochi

From the ecforum.org.uk
          Aug. 28, 2014

Justin Horton:

1. I very much doubt that FIDE actually want Carlsen to be defaulted. Given that he's not just the world number one by miles, and an active one at that, I see no political advantage to kicking him out. It would not be clever and it would not be well-received.

2. As the match is not being played in the EU, who is or is not on an EU blacklist may not be considered pertinent. (There's a contrast to be made with the 1992 Fischer-Spassky match, where I believe the sanctions on the then Yugoslavia were imposed by the UN.) Moreover Norway, of which country Magnus Carlsen is a citizen, is not a member of the EU.
          The next in line to take Magnus' spot is Karjakin who the Russians are spending a ton of money on, so who knows maybe its worth it to them, to create havoc around the chess world in order to try to crown a Russian as the World Champion. In any case, I don't see why Carlsen would refuse this match, he could have argued for money earlier, when it was first announced and I am sure that they will find a way to pay the money if the match does take place, regardless of any possible sanctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
            The next in line to take Magnus' spot is Karjakin who the Russians are spending a ton of money on, so who knows maybe its worth it to them, to create havoc around the chess world in order to try to crown a Russian as the World Champion. In any case, I don't see why Carlsen would refuse this match, he could have argued for money earlier, when it was first announced and I am sure that they will find a way to pay the money if the match does take place, regardless of any possible sanctions.
            At minimum, the situation is unclear with a potentially sizable downside. Carlsen, very wisely it would seem, prefers not to make a contractual commitment in such circumstances.
            Last edited by Peter McKillop; Thursday, 28th August, 2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: gwammah
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              At minimum, the situation is unclear with a potentially sizable downside. Carlsen, very wisely it would seem, prefers not to make a contractual commitment in such circumstances.
              I'd assume Anand has signed his contract as no one seems to have said otherwise. Do you not think Carlsen will be forfeited if he does not sign the contract by the deadline?

I noticed one writeup mentions the size of the prize money. That it's less than last time. Makes me wonder if it's not about the money.

Do I smell a new chess federation in the offing? I guess we'll see.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

WC match set for Sochi - Carlsen under pressure?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I noticed one writeup mentions the size of the prize money. That it's less than last time. Makes me wonder if it's not about the money.

Do I smell a new chess federation in the offing? I guess we'll see.
                Other than pressure on Carlsen from the Norwegian Chess Federation, there may be other sorts of pressures. Perhaps the Norwegian regime itself may be applying pressure. Why?

Norway is going to get absolutely hammered on the Russian counter-sanctions with a 1-year ban (extendable if necessary) on the imports of agricultural products, raw materials, and foodstuffs from a number of countries including the Kingdom of Norway ...

Originally posted by News from Norway in English
                Norway has a long history of going along with international sanctions, especially those initiated by the US and the EU. Those now looming against Russia, however, put the squeeze on longstanding, “special” and not least lucrative relations with an important and powerful neighbour....

Norway exported seafood valued at NOK 6.5 billion (USD 1 billion) to Russia last year, accounting for 76 percent of all Norwegian exports to Russia. Godzimirski said companies keen on doing business in the offshore supply branch can also be hit, along with locally important joint ventures in the border area around Kirkenes and elsewhere in Northern Norway. Norway’s largest company, Statoil, has long been concerned about how Russia’s controversial politics would affect its pending deals with Russian companies, and Norway’s huge oil and gas sector stands to lose business.
                That's one billion (US) dollars worth of exports just in seafood alone. Small potatoes? I think not.

Russian counter-sanctions squeeze Norway

Carlsen would be wise to stay away from this stuff but he may have no choice.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: WC match set for Sochi - Carlsen under pressure?

I've seen reports on Twitter that IllusionOf has agreed to an extension to Sep 7th for Carlsen to sign... @anandcarlsen14 on Twitter
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I would assume Russia will replace much of what it got from Norway and North America with produce and other items from South America.

Norway should do OK. They have a sovereign wealth fund of close to 1 Trillion dollars. They don't need to sell fish to survive. You would think such a rich nations would do something to have one of their citizens continue to hold a prestigious title like the Fide World Chess Championship.

http://www.swfinstitute.org/fund-rankings/
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      I've seen reports on Twitter that IllusionOf has agreed to an extension to Sep 7th for Carlsen to sign... @anandcarlsen14 on Twitter
                      I think it's already been decided if Carlsen will sign or not. This is simply to show a willingness to accommodate him and give him every chance to comply before they pull out the rug. It shows FIDE to be flexible good guys.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

E.Sutovsky wrote on Facebook that he chatted with the Carlsen's manager. They did not understand where dates like Aug 29 or other came out as the contract had no firm deadline.

The Anand's manager (his wife) confirmed that V.A. signed the contract.

Comment

The update from E.S. - he had a conversation with K.I. and got the assurance that the deadline extended to Sep. 7 LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X