The Games of Daniel "Abe" Yanofsky - A Book - Not David Ross' nice book, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Games of Daniel "Abe" Yanofsky - A Book - Not David Ross' nice book, but...

I published a book containing all of his games that were available from his personal scoresheets back in 1997. Approximately 145-150 pages, single-sided, 8.5" x 11," dull grey covers. Simple game scores, nothing else except a few comments at the beginning.

Is anyone aware where a copy might be? Definitely not in the CFC archives or what remains of them!

Thanks!

Re: The Games of Daniel "Abe" Yanofsky - A Book - Not David Ross' nice book, but...

There's one in the National Library, but presumably you already knew that.

Comment

Re: The Games of Daniel "Abe" Yanofsky - A Book - Not David Ross' nice book, but...

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      There's one in the National Library, but presumably you already knew that.
      Thanks, I should have been clearer! Yes, I sent 2 to The National Archives, 3 to Yanofsky himself, others???

Comment

I know there is a printout of all the gamescores in the city archives with DAY's other stuff, but I can't recall if it's between covers or not. So, I can't say for sure if it's the item you're asking about or a draft.

Cecil Rosner *may* know of something, as he's the one who got the stuff into the archives to begin with. But, I'm guessing he's tied up till the end of the weekend with a major journalism conference going on here right now.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          Definitely not in the CFC archives or what remains of them!
          When I worked at the CFC, Yanofsky donated his entire library with lots of other materials. It all arrived in boxes. It may have been you yourself who began to organize it all on the shelves upstairs at the CFC office? What has happened to all of this material?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            When I worked at the CFC, Yanofsky donated his entire library with lots of other materials. It all arrived in boxes. It may have been you yourself who began to organize it all on the shelves upstairs at the CFC office? What has happened to all of this material?
            The CFC library is an interesting topic!

A bit of history...

In 1977, I donated a whack of Canadian publications to the library. I might even have received a tax receipt for it. (Those were the days!) Fast forward to the Yanofsky library donation (unsure when, but he was still alive, I think). Yes, I and a friend (maybe someone from the CCCA) came in and did a rough evaluation of his collection which was quite extensive. I am quite sure a tax receipt was issued to him.

During these years, I published a few small CC booklets and always donated a copy or two to the CFC.

Fast forward to the time when the CFC building was being sold.

There was an unholy mess upstairs and the risk was that books were going to be tossed in the garbage because there was nowhere else to put them. Boxes would have taken a whole room somewhere. I get a call from someone who is concerned. I drive to Ottawa that weekend and start looking through the collection with the intention of saving CDN chess literature that I do not have a copy of. I paid a substantial amount to the CFC for it which included buying back some stuff I had donated earlier (not all of which stuff was still in the CFC library)! After I had my choice, I also took some stuff that would do well on eBay. I sold that and sent the cash to the CFC. The remaining PILE of stuff was offered to the CCCA for $8,000 if I recall. They took it away and re-sold some of it. I think they still have a bunch of stuff. The stuff I bought was added to my collection.

Fast forward to today...

I tried for a few years to donate my CDN chess collection to a library. Many concerned chess historians talked to various libraries to no avail.

So I hired a friend to compare my CDN chess collection to that of The National Archives (They require by law that anything published in Canada must have 2 copies sent to them). They had loads of missing items. Trying to get them to accept the missing items (no receipt was required for the donation) was difficult. They were in some turmoil themselves! After almost having to beg them, they agreed they should accept them. But, I wanted to get them off my shelves. This is where a chess historian comes in and offers to keep the stuff until The National Archives can get their act together.

My CDN shelves are clean now.

That is where the CFC stuff ended up and how!

Comment

Thanks for what you did Ken. Canadian chess owes you a big vote of thanks. - and thanks for communicating that message.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Thanks for what you did Ken. Canadian chess owes you a big vote of thanks. - and thanks for communicating that message.
                BTW, there was also a large collection that came from a Mr. Rodgers (Sp?) that I recall now.

Comment

Ron F. Rodgers was a fixture in Ottawa chess for decades and many time champion of the city in the distant past. The RA Chess Club starts the year with the Rodgers Memorial every year.

Comment

Working...
                  X