Under the CFC rug - Member services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under the CFC rug - Member services

A former CFC member has communicated with me regarding CFC member services. It is best if I outline the sequence of events in bullet form;

1. He was originally on the CFC auto-renewal program with his membership originally expiring August 1st 2013. (Auto-renewal means the CFC is authorized to keep his credit card info on file and charge it to renew his membership BEFORE it expires for continuous membership.)

2. For whatever reason the CFC dropped member services and neglected to auto-renew his membership at the time for renewal August 1st 2013 and thus the auto-renewal agreement was broken by the CFC.

3. During the time since his membership expired he has received no services, communication or queries from the CFC.

4. Recently he discovered that about 3 weeks ago the CFC charged his credit card $48 and added a year onto his OLD expiry leaving him due to expire again in less than 2 months (Aug 1st) despite the fact he never received any member newsletters, has not played a rated event in 9 years, and never even received a receipt/notification for the dues recently charged.

Now we do know that last month in May the CFC had to release their membership stats. Looks like what happened is that member services were dropped for the entire year, but suddenly when it came time to release these stats somebody changed their mind and decided (in panic) that providing member services retro would be the best plan for padding the sinking member stats. So charge any card possible, slap on a year to the old expiry dates from 10 months ago and add them into the stats and whoo-la they are a “member”.

This is the sort of hubris coming from the CFC central planners. And people if there is ONE fundamental core CFC member service, it is to be receipted for one’s own dues paid. To be acknowledged and thanked for your payment received. Not to be charged 10 months late with no notification leaving someone no services for 10 months only to expire and charged $48 again within 2 months.

We see time and again the CFC brass making questionable decisions about the office admin while boldly stating they “know what they are doing”, then quickly disappearing into oblivion once the problems arrive 6-12 months later. We saw this in 2004-05 when Halldor Palsson disappeared to leave massive admin problems he created for a totally unprepared Chris Mallon, and now again in 2013 when Fred McKim as head spokesman confidently boasting about a great decision, then in the last 6 months when problems become apparent and dozens more members lost, now he has nothing to say anymore. I think it says a lot about how much the members are really valued by the CFC central planners who “know better”.

Does no one see how disgusting this is for this player? Now at this point the player is asking for his $48 to be refunded and cancel his credit card info out of the CFC system. He no longer wishes to be a CFC member. It can be observed that the office is no longer free market run and is simply a political tool of the CFC central planners. Going forward just how many passes do these CFC central planners get? We’ll just keep losing 1 member at a time and personally I doubt anything can be done because the governors / members remaining refuse to acknowledge hard facts until it happens to them. They just say, “oh let’s move on…”, but the lessons are not getting learned and the members keep disappearing.

Re: Under the CFC rug - Member services

There is no doubt that there have been problems in the CFC office this year. The member's card should be refunded. I presume Bob Gillanders knows about this situation? It seems to me that things are running more smoothly now with Bob Gillanders in charge again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Litchfield View Post
      Now at this point the player is asking for his $48 to be refunded and cancel his credit card info out of the CFC system. He no longer wishes to be a CFC member.
      Gerry, I am unaware of this request for a refund. I just searched my emails for the last 3 weeks and found none. If the facts are as you have presented, a refund is a no brainer along with our apologies.

Comment

Hi : I just renewed my CFC membership via paypal on June 9th. The next day I got an email from Bob Gillanders confirming & thanking me for renewing my membership. Even though I was late in renewing the membership(expiry May 1) I still got the
        CFC newsletter for March/14 on May 14/2014. All I can say the membership service was A1 ok Thank you Bob

Wilf Ferner

Comment

From his perspective he searched for emails from CFC and found none. Not sure why the ball would be in his court to fix this, and I am not going to tell him that. I will email you his address for refund.

Comment

Vlad,

Word on the street is that the last year has not been a good one for the CFC in terms of internal administration. We both know who is responsible for this. Fortunatly, the CFC received $12,000 from the FQE and $8,000 from CMA...which helps to hide this fact. Hopefully the CFC is back on track.

Larry

Comment

I think any of the current Executive would take immediate corrective measures if informed of such problems with the CFC Office.

Gerry, as you know, those who selected the winner of the Executive Director contract in 2013 were a Search Committee from various CFC Governor volunteers. I was a non-voting member of that committee. I don't remember confidently boasting of the decision made, although I may well have congratulated the winner on this forum, as I would whoever won.

Since taking on the position of President, Vlad Drkulec has represented the CFC here very effectively, and has meant that I, as Treasurer, did not need to post frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Litchfield View Post
                From his perspective he searched for emails from CFC and found none. Not sure why the ball would be in his court to fix this, and I am not going to tell him that. I will email you his address for refund.
                Gerry, let's look at the post starting this thread and disregard the parts which are not relevant to the problem.

You wrote:

" 4. Recently he discovered that about 3 weeks ago the CFC charged his credit card $48 and added a year onto his OLD expiry leaving him due to expire again in less than 2 months (Aug 1st) despite the fact he never received any member newsletters, has not played a rated event in 9 years, and never even received a receipt/notification for the dues recently charged."

You're discussing something which happened about 3 weeks ago and was discovered more recent than that. It's not an old ongoing situation.

You also wrote:

" Now at this point the player is asking for his $48 to be refunded and cancel his credit card info out of the CFC system. He no longer wishes to be a CFC member. "

That is the other important point.

Those 2 points, to me, describe the problem and the remedy requested.

I don't see anywhere in the entire lengthy post where it says the person communicated with anyone with the CFC who could remedy the problem. I can only see where you say the member communicated with you.

I can't see anything wrong with the member emailing his information and requesting his refund which has already been agreed here on CT.

Am I missing something here?
                Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 19th June, 2014, 06:53 PM.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Fred,

First I would like to say that Vlad has done a great job! I like him as a person and I love his style!

However (yes there is a however), the last year has not been great for the CFC in terms of daily admin stuff.

In my opinion, Gerry Litchfield was great. He lost the contract with the CFC in what he considers to be an incorrect fashion. He is simply pointing out one of many things that have gone wrong since he left. The great thing about Gerry is that he actually cares and he is very competent...folks like that are rare.

That said, Bob Gillanders will probably do a good job so I think we are in good hands again.

Larry

Comment

I deal not infrequently with the CFC office in my capacity as Rating Auditor. I have never had reason to doubt the competence of Gerry, Michael or Bob. What I can say is that the turnaround time to resolve problems has been very discouraging. My conclusion is that the workload is too great for one person. I have offered to help in whatever way I can but it is hard to do that from 2000 miles away. Why does the huge chess community within half an hour of Mississauga not come up with a volunteer or two who could help with the workload?
                    Last edited by Paul Leblanc; Thursday, 19th June, 2014, 08:23 PM.
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                      Why does the huge chess community within half an hour of Mississauga not come up with a volunteer or two who could help with the workload?
                      Apparently, because the President prefers to do everything himself... :(

Please read his response to an offer to help:
                      http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...4992#post24992

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Vlad,

Word on the street is that the last year has not been a good one for the CFC in terms of internal administration. We both know who is responsible for this. Fortunatly, the CFC received $12,000 from the FQE and $8,000 from CMA...which helps to hide this fact. Hopefully the CFC is back on track.

Larry
                        We also had a pretty good CYCC in Ottawa which raised a great deal of money which meant that we were able to do more for the kids at WYCC and NAYCC than we could in previous years. We even bumped up the amount that the Pugi trustees had to work with this year. Montreal will probably also raise a large amount of money for the youth fund so we have definitely had some favourable financial circumstances which has masked our problems. Next year, expenses will go up in part due to FIDE America and in part due to requirements of the NFP act. There will be some initiatives in association with FIDE to help our young and even older players looking for norms. As always I will be focused on the youth but with the NFP act behind us and the CFC surviving that crisis I will have to turn my attention to doing something for the rank and file as well. I will probably be trying to pick people's brains at the summer tournaments to see what that might be.

I have noticed better communications with Bob and I never have to ask for anything twice. I always found Gerry very responsible and responsive as a CFC member or masters representative. Michael always seemed exhausted when I saw him. I was distracted for most of this year with the NFP process and was frustrated at times with what I saw going on in the office. Hopefully things will run smoother in the coming year with a more experience president and a more experience ED.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
                          Apparently, because the President prefers to do everything himself... :(

Please read his response to an offer to help:
                          http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...4992#post24992
                          I am still waiting for those emails. There probably won't be much for them to do until we get all our ducks in a row on the WYCC for this year but we are building a good network of go to people and parents associated with youth chess. We need to harness that. I know you want to help and I appreciate that. Lets just avoid upsetting any apple carts.

Comment

Michael, I'm not talking about youth chess volunteers, I'm talking about people volunteering their time to help out with CFC office functions. For example, I only get answers to about half of the e-mails I send about rating issues and I wait for weeks to get an invoice when we run an event, even when we send in a itemized list of what we owe. CFC memberships are renewed by people who then complain to me that for weeks the website shows their memberships are still expired. The Handbook has not been updated to reflect decisions taken at the October 2013 Governors' Meeting.
                            Paul Leblanc
                            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

The CFC is paying a lot of money to have the work done. Enough for it to be a full time job. I don't know how hard it can be to look after such a small membership. It's not like a correspondence club where the person is pairing all the tournaments and running the events as well as doing the memberships and all the office work and correspondence. That I did for the CCCA for about a decade.

If there is a problem, split the job 2 or 3 ways with about an equal amount of work for each position. Then split the money 2 or 3 ways and hire someone for each function.

Chess administration takes a lot of time. When I was directing events for the ICCF (correspondence equivalent of FIDE) I was looking after the events for around 300 players or more. Until the last couple of years that I did the job, it was all by mail. I used to work at it on average 4 evenings a week for 4 or 5 hours each time. It got better when players started wanting to use email but the events where I was tournament secretary were all postal and not the email events.

Guess how much the ICCF paid me. If you don't want to guess but want to know just ask. I'll tell you and you can either believe it or not.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X