Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winding down the CFC and FIDE elections

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
    Here is what you said in another thread addressed to me.
    "You and your boy Kasparov have done damage to FIDE and to the CFC."

I have nothing to do with articles nor does Gary despite your beliefs.
    Gary did damage to FIDE long ago and his negative campaign hasn't been helpful. If I said you personally did damage then I was wrong.

Comment

Well Mr Cheng, i have very passionate beliefs about certain thing'a and you might find it surprising that the treatment meted out to me was in my opinion unimaginably awful given my past track record with the CFC. This resulted in very colorful exchanges. It was made very clear to me from the executive that most governors fully intended to reward Vlad for the very hard work he had done relating to the NFP .

My opinion about Kirsan has not changed and regardless of what you think of me or Sasha endorsing Kirsan from where I sit is the possibly the worst decision the CFC has ever made.
      Sid,

I almost always refer to K.I. as "IllusionOf" (partly because I cannot spell his name phonetically or correctly, but primarily because he only gives the impression of a leader).
      I also believe he illustrates the 'old school' mantra of 'my way or no way' etc. When you toss in his unsavoury friends and acquaintances you have a horrible mix.

I too would have thought the safe vote for the CFC would be to "abstain" (although that is rather wimpy).
      I believe G.K. was a far better choice than IllusionOf -BUT- I have serious reservations about Gary's ability to deliver on the myriad of things he has promised...

We will see shortly once the FIDE election is over. If IllusionOf wins again, just like Karpov, Gary will be marginalized pretty much forever in the FIDE world.
      I also do not see any other personality who is currently a better candidate that either of them; I wish there was one and wish he/she would come forward.

Too bad Susan Polgar would have NO real chance (due to many reasons - most of them misogynistic) - I think she has the right attitude and skills to run FIDE.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Benefits to Canada: FIDE Presidential Election

Before the actual governors straw poll took place it was made very clear that our contributions would not be made conditional , this was my own personal offer in addition i sought assurances from the Kasparov Chess Foundation that they would help.
        http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post80354
        On the other hand if Gary wins I am highly confident that I can get Fide's support in addition to my own in all kinds of interesting programs for Canada. That is of course predicated on the idea that the CFC endorses Gary that already is getting too late.
        I found these quotes contradict each other - conditional vs non-conditional. Can you comment?

Comment

FIDE Presidency 2018 - Draft Susan!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Too bad Susan Polgar would have NO real chance (due to many reasons - most of them misogynistic) - I think she has the right attitude and skills to run FIDE.
          Kerry:

Would you like the Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) to consider starting a "Draft Susan for 2018" campaign?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post80354

I found these quotes contradict each other - conditional vs non-conditional. Can you comment?
            Of course, my support or the Kasparov Chess Foundation are within our control and we can do as we please. We have no control over what FIDE does and that is especially true if Gary is not in power. KCF or Sid Belzberg do not equal FIDE, they are all separate independent entities.....make's sense?

Comment

Well Mr Cheng, i have very passionate beliefs about certain thing'a and you might find it surprising that the treatment meted out to me was in my opinion unimaginably awful given my past track record with the CFC. This resulted in very colorful exchanges. It was made very clear to me from the executive that most governors fully intended to reward Vlad for the very hard work he had done relating to the NFP .

My opinion about Kirsan has not changed and regardless of what you think of me or Sasha endorsing Kirsan from where I sit is the possibly the worst decision the CFC has ever made.
              You may be correct in the long-run but you probably should have picked a better running mate. Even if the endorsement was the worst decision possible, pairing up with Sasha and allowing him to go on a posting frenzy has alienated the vast majority of CFC governors. When there's only two possible choices and one represents a relatively safe option who actually has done a lot for chess and another who promises the world but has not a single chess credential on his resume and has nothing but criticism as his campaign (sounds like US politics), it should be easy to see who's going to win.
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re: FIDE Presidency 2018 - Draft Susan!

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Kerry:

Would you like the Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) to consider starting a "Draft Susan for 2018" campaign?

Bob A
                I didn't see a smiley face there, so I will assume your question is a serious one. I seriously think Susan Polgar
                has the organizational ability and the charisma to run FIDE (properly and honourably I might add). Note that
                she could hardly get a voice of reason into the USCF, so her chances in FIDE are the same chance as a
                God Particle showing up in my cheerios...

If the CCC wants another topic to champion, go for it. :)
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Of course, my support or the Kasparov Chess Foundation are within our control and we can do as we please. We have no control over what FIDE does and that is especially true if Gary is not in power. KCF or Sid Belzberg do not equal FIDE, they are all separate independent entities.....make's sense?
                  Your support and the Kasparov foundation support were available only "on the idea that the CFC endorses Gary". Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Your support and the Kasparov foundation support were available only "on the idea that the CFC endorses Gary". Right?
                    Yes that would have been ideal. Frankly if the CFC did not endorse either candidate I would have considered personally sponsoring events as I have done in the past with no strings.The CFC endorsing the likes of Kirsan was a very bitter pill for me to swallow.
                    Anyway's it is water under the bridge.

Comment

"You may be correct in the long-run but you probably should have picked a better running mate."

Sasha was not my "running mate" he independently decided to run and since he was the only alternative I endorsed him. I do not control what people do and i had no aspirations to run for the office myself.

Comment

Re: FIDE Presidency 2018 - Draft Susan!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        If the CCC wants another topic to champion, go for it. :)
                        Hi Kerry:

As you know, CCC loves losing causes ........ it's all a matter of high principle, not functional success!:D

And yes, I was somewhat serious......she shows in her public annotating a lot of people skills when interviewing.....she's known........she'd be unique - a women running in a man's world. She has some baggage around her time with the USCF....some allegations of non-high-ground operating with her husband...don't know the truth of it, but that may not matter...she may be now tarred with it.

But public charisma, and being liked, goes a long way in politics. Would a draft movement generate excitement?

What do others think? Should I bring this to the Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) international chess organization to discuss?

Bob A, CCC Co-ordinator

(Note: CCC is just a four member organization of ordinary chess players - a mere grain of sand on the beach. But I believe small groups can do miracles sometimes.........)

Comment

Yes that would have been ideal. Frankly if the CFC did not endorse either candidate I would have considered personally sponsoring events as I have done in the past with no strings.The CFC endorsing the likes of Kirsan was a very bitter pill for me to swallow.
                          Anyway's it is water under the bridge.
                          It is a bitter pill for me to swallow just as well.

Unfortunately it is one of the cases when democracy has miserably failed. Two highly motivated people were able to succeed in spite of the fact, that the large majority of people here have supported GK (remember President's poll here: 1 for KI, almost 30 for GK); and on the other poll, the Governors' poll, 66,67% of votes were against endorsement of KI. Well, both of these polls, even Governors, were deemed non binding. So the public opinion was ignored, the wishes of the Governors were neglected. The fact remains that Five Executives, being motivated/induced or whatever else by the President and FIDE rep, have delivered endorsement of KI (two of them have abstained).

I agree that this is the most disastrous decision of CFC ever.

Only after the endorsement was publicly announced I've decided to contest the Presidency of CFC - just to provide an alternative. I'm not upset by the election's results.

Now I'm studying very carefully what's actually happened. Until then I can't really comment on what will be my next move.
                          Last edited by Sasha Starr; Friday, 11th July, 2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Could any 2010' Governor tell me, please, what, if anything, was offered to the CFC by any or both candidates during FIDE Presidential Campaign of the same year?

Sasha Starr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
                              Could any 2010' Governor tell me, please, what, if anything, was offered to the CFC by any or both candidates during FIDE Presidential Campaign of the same year?

Sasha Starr.
                              Hi Sasha:

I was a governor then. Think that was a face to face AGM meeting in Edmonton? My memory is bad.

Anyway, there will be AGM Minutes in the archive - likely accessible through the CFC Website? But don't know whether they will answer your question.

I myself, I'm afraid, have no recollection about the FIDE Presidency issue, except that there was almost unanimity to vote for Karpov.

Hope I haven't got the facts too badly mixed.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post

Sasha Starr.
                                My recollection is that we received nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X