Winding down the CFC and FIDE elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winding down the CFC and FIDE elections

I posted this on the AGM board in the Presidential voting thread.

The rebuke is noted Garland and I will look forward to working with you. I could have been more presidential and exhibited more decorum but the net result would have been to vacate the field of battle and allow the Kasparov people to win the information war and make no mistake that is exactly what we had on our hands in this campaign. Hal Bond and Frank Lee and most of the executive are suited for playing the good cop and I tried to play that role for a period of time but at some point when you see that good cop/good cop works out as well as the skit on Saturday Night Live you realize you have to vary your approach. I am a bit baffled by the irrational Canadian Kasparov campaign from top to bottom. I prefer to deal in logic and facts. Kasparov and his campaign tried hurt the CFC. I don't think they succeeded. In the process they hurt themselves. I see my chesstalk comments postered on the FIDE campaign site. I am quite okay with that though it is not something that I intentionally pursued. They have used this approach in many countries and I suspect it has been as successful elsewhere as it was in Canada.

I have received a significant volume of supportive email from concerned parents, players, organizers and friends who are involved in chess politics and those who are no longer involved. To all who sent or spoke out to give their support I offer my sincere thanks. I look forward to working with you all to bring this game that we all love to is rightful place of prominence. I am told that we received two letters at the CFC office criticizing our decision. One came from Denmark and one came from a CFC member.

I hope that everyone will find a way to move on. We have all given this divisive and distracting fight way more attention than it deserves. We need to move on and turn our attention to the things that actually move chess forward. I am not going to fight this battle again. Much as some people would like there will be no best 4 out of 7 in this case.

Re: Winding down the CFC and FIDE elections

"I prefer to deal in logic and facts"
    No, you routinely debated irrefutable facts with comments like "blah blah blah".

"Kasparov and his campaign tried hurt the CFC".
    You actually have it backwards, you hurt the CFC by imposing an endorseement of Illuzyminov even though ony 8 0ut 0f 24 governors wanted an actual endorsement of Iluzyminov at the time. The resultant bad publicity is something that you have only have yourself to blame for. THis was an embarrassment for the CFC as well as Canada. i am very skeptical that the CFC will ever see any of the $80,000.00 Worth of tournaments promised it in return for this embarrassing endorsement.

In my opinion your victory in the election is a reward for the good work you did in the transitioning of the CFC to a proper NFP and has very little do with the FIDE election.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 11th July, 2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      No, you routinely debated irrefutable facts with comments like "blah blah blah".

You actually have it backwards, you hurt the CFC by imposing an endorseement of Illuzyminov even though ony 8 0ut 0f 24 governors wanted an actual endorsement of Iluzyminov at the time. The resultant bad publicity is something that you have only have yourself to blame for. THis was an embarrassment for the CFC as well as Canada. i am very skeptical that the CFC will ever see any of the $80,000.00 Worth of tournaments promised it in return for this embarrassing endorsement.

In my opinion your victory in the election is a reward for the good work you did in the transitioning of the CFC to a proper NFP and has very little do with the FIDE election.
      Is this going to continue?

It's finished.

Let's get back to chess now.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
        Is this going to continue?

It's finished.

Let's get back to chess now.
        I agree, I just do not appreciate someone saying I damaged the CFC.

Comment

Well, at the very least you and Sasha provided an alternative...

Without that, it would have been the usual type of CFC election (ie: the only person willing to do the job is heartily acclaimed).
          I wish there had been less acrimony and a lot less hysteria but I get that you feel strongly (!)

The core problem with the CFC is that there are very few people willing to do the amount of work required (and, unless
          you have been directly involved in doing the work, you cannot appreciate the amount of time and energy involved). When
          you add in the pressure of a lot of people with some skin in the game (I am thinking specifically of the Youth portfolio) it
          becomes overwhelming and burn out is common.

Chess players are seldom neutral about anything...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

In my opinion, his victory had more to do with the fact that Sasha, Paul and you were so hostile towards him with your vicious attacks that the CFC governors had no choice but to defend Vlad by voting him in. Just take a look at the number of votes that Sasha got and the ones that the VP and Junior Coordinator received - Sasha received 5 while the other two positions received 10. Even if you guys were correct in your accusations, the way you presented the information was so unimaginably awful and gave Vlad the easiest re-election of his presidency.
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

You actually have it backwards, you hurt the CFC by imposing an endorseement of Illuzyminov even though ony 8 0ut 0f 24 governors wanted an actual endorsement of Iluzyminov at the time. The resultant bad publicity is something that you have only have yourself to blame for.
              There is no such thing as bad publicity. Three days ago I had an hour long interview where the topic of Garry Kasparov was not even mentioned. Probably only a few seconds will make in onto the air. You convinced a few people who don't know much about chess that something awful was happening. It didn't stick.

THis was an embarrassment for the CFC as well as Canada. i am very skeptical that the CFC will ever see any of the $80,000.00 Worth of tournaments promised it in return for this embarrassing endorsement.
              To be fair the endorsement was not for the sponsorship of tournaments. I am confident that we will see those tournaments.

Some people tried to make it a referendum on FIDE. I have been chastised for my approach as the margin of victory has fallen from last time when it was 29-1 and this time it is 24 - 5 with another day of voting. Your view that people are concerned with the FIDE election or upset by the CFC decision is not supported by the feedback I have been getting which is about 95% positive if I include the two negative comments to the office, one of which was from outside the country. Many are reasonably afraid to express their views on chesstalk for fear of coming under intense attack by the gauntlet of Kasparov supporters.

While the NFP file played a role I am sure that the improvements in youth chess have helped. I know at least three instances of parents of chessplayers contacting the governors asking them to support me. I know Sasha contacted a significant number of the governors directly. I didn't but probably would have if the election were closer.

The results of the governors straw poll gave the executive a free hand because of the split in the voting we could have changed our minds and voted one way or stuck with the candidate that the governors (including executive) supported.

Our decision was made and we will stick to it. I am not going to debate this over and over. At the most I will update my FAQ. Time is short. I am heading to Montreal and I may be mostly offline for two weeks.

Comment

Unless you are personally responsible for those articles I don't see where you read that. Even Kasparov only tried and failed to damage the CFC. HTH.

Comment

"You convinced a few people who don't know much about chess that something awful was happening."
                  Something awful was happening and happened. I have not discussed this with anyone outside of chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    I have received a significant volume of supportive email from concerned parents, players, organizers and friends who are involved in chess politics and those who are no longer involved. To all who sent or spoke out to give their support I offer my sincere thanks. I look forward to working with you all to bring this game that we all love to is rightful place of prominence. I am told that we received two letters at the CFC office criticizing our decision. One came from Denmark and one came from a CFC member.
                    Hi Vlad:

I hope that the Executive will be issuing a formal press release soon explaining the reasons for the FIDE decision. You have previously indicated that one would be forthcoming. I realize that people have been busy and that releasing one before the AGM was over would have been premature, particularly if a new Executive had been elected.

As you know the decision to endorse KI has been, and is, controversial. Given that, and that the Executive decided to actually Endorse KI, I think that some sort of explanation has to be provided by the Executive. I would also hope that any mention of negative feelings about the GK representatives (self-appointed or official) would be brief and not unnecessary sniping. We all need to move on from this squabble.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      Hi Vlad:

I hope that the Executive will be issuing a formal press release soon explaining the reasons for the FIDE decision. You have previously indicated that one would be forthcoming. I realize that people have been busy and that releasing one before the AGM was over would have been premature, particularly if a new Executive had been elected.

As you know the decision to endorse KI has been, and is, controversial. Given that, and that the Executive decided to actually Endorse KI, I think that some sort of explanation has to be provided by the Executive. I would also hope that any mention of negative feelings about the GK representatives (self-appointed or official) would be brief and not unnecessary sniping. We all need to move on from this squabble.

Steve
                      I have a statement prepared. I will probably cut out the stuff about Kasparov and his supporters being big meanies. I won't post it before the end of the AGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        Unless you are personally responsible for those articles I don't see where you read that. Even Kasparov only tried and failed to damage the CFC. HTH.
                        Here is what you said in another thread addressed to me.
                        "You and your boy Kasparov have done damage to FIDE and to the CFC."

I have nothing to do with articles nor does Gary despite your beliefs.

Comment

Benefits to Canada: FIDE Presidential Election

Hi Vlad:

My Understanding

1. If elected, Kirsan will direct $ 80,000 of FIDE funds to support Canadian chess, over 4 years.
                          2. If Garry is elected, Kirsan will donate from his own funds, $ 80,000 to support Canadian chess over 4 years.
                          3. Some similar type offer is made by Garry, that FIDE funds will flow to Canada to support chess in Canada, but he can only do this if he is elected.

My Question: Did the Kasparov conditional commitment to Canada also have a second condition - that Canada vote for Garry? Though one would think it well might, what are the facts? If Garry is elected (a possibility), and Canada endorsed and voted for Kirsan (which it has and will), will Garry still direct FIDE funds to Canada to support chess in Canada? Did the Kasparov campaign make any commitment re such a scenario?

Bob A

Comment

Re: Benefits to Canada: FIDE Presidential Election

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Hi Vlad:

My Understanding

1. If elected, Kirsan will direct $ 80,000 of FIDE funds to support Canadian chess, over 4 years.
                            2. If Garry is elected, Kirsan will donate from his own funds, $ 80,000 to support Canadian chess over 4 years.
                            3. Some similar type offer is made by Garry, that FIDE funds will flow to Canada to support chess in Canada, but he can only do this if he is elected.

My Question: Did the Kasparov conditional commitment to Canada also have a second condition - that Canada vote for Garry? Though one would think it well might, what are the facts? If Garry is elected (a possibility), and Canada endorsed and voted for Kirsan (which it has and will), will Garry still direct FIDE funds to Canada to support chess in Canada? Did the Kasparov campaign make any commitment re such a scenario?

Bob A
                            Hi Bob,
                            Before the actual governors straw poll took place it was made very clear that our contributions would not be made conditional , this was my own personal offer in addition i sought assurances from the Kasparov Chess Foundation that they would help. As i initially approached the CFC as an individual who is a friend of Gary's i did not expect that my offer was going to be used as leverage to see what could be gained from Kirsan's group.
                            Speaking for myself that was the main source of acrimony.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                              In my opinion, his victory had more to do with the fact that Sasha, Paul and you were so hostile towards him with your vicious attacks that the CFC governors had no choice but to defend Vlad by voting him in. Just take a look at the number of votes that Sasha got and the ones that the VP and Junior Coordinator received - Sasha received 5 while the other two positions received 10. Even if you guys were correct in your accusations, the way you presented the information was so unimaginably awful and gave Vlad the easiest re-election of his presidency.
                              Well Mr Cheng, i have very passionate beliefs about certain thing'a and you might find it surprising that the treatment meted out to me was in my opinion unimaginably awful given my past track record with the CFC. This resulted in very colorful exchanges. It was made very clear to me from the executive that most governors fully intended to reward Vlad for the very hard work he had done relating to the NFP .

My opinion about Kirsan has not changed and regardless of what you think of me or Sasha endorsing Kirsan from where I sit is the possibly the worst decision the CFC has ever made.
                              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 11th July, 2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X