Second Sinquefield Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second Sinquefield Cup

Tomorrow Carlsen, who has a mathematical chance of making a tie for first place, will try to break up Caruana's streak with the black pieces. Caruana only needs a draw to lock up 1st place.

I expect Carlsen to go for the win but I don't like his chances.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Caruana came into this tournament spotting Carlsen 69 FIDE points (2870 to 2801). The deficit is now down to 31.1 points (2866.2 to 2835.1) and will get very close to 20 if Caruana can extend his perfect streak one more game.

Caruana is also now within 0.4 FIDE points of the 3rd highest FIDE rating ever, 2835.5, achieved by Aronian earlier this year on February 2nd. Even a draw tomorrow with Carlsen will eclipse that mark.

Aronian, of course, was the #2 player in the world prior to this tournament but now trails Caruana by a whopping 42.3 points.

Comment

Second Sinquefield Cup

Post Round Seven Comments

Interview of Fabiano Caruana by Maurice Ashley

FC: I keep winning although I am not trying to go for a record; I would have been satisfied with a draw today; I played a pretty unambitious line but just took over which was very unexpected and happened so suddenly.

MA: He played 14. Qa4 and you played Qh4 and then he played 15. g3; would you have expected that just like that these moves would have been on the board and his king started marching to c3, like a lamb to slaughter? Are you hypnotizing people?

FC: I am not sure what he missed. Qa4 was a very strange move. I won a pawn without any struggle and the game soon after.

MA: There was a point when you were just blitzing out the moves.

FC: I expected resignation and he shocked me with 38. a5. I am always worried when there are pawns on a7 and b6. But I was a queen up so that should be enough.

MA: You play Magnus Carlsen tomorrow. How big is that?

FC: As big as any other. I don’t intend to do anything special. For me a draw is a reasonable result and a win… I am not going to play for a draw from the start, just normal chess.

MA: Magnus said that it is a big game for him. He is going for it in this game.

FC: I expected that. He has to at this point, we shall see what happens.

MA: When you go back to your room and you are with your coach – are you high-fiving it or is he looking at you funny?

FC: He is shocked because in most tournaments I usually manage, even if I started well, to ruin it pretty quickly and here that has not happened. I expect it each game but so far it hasn’t happened.

________

Chess.com: MVL came down the stairs after his game and for a moment was baffled at what had just happened. "It's frustrating, but it is frustrating for all of us."

He described Caruana's performance as "il envoie du lourd" which colloquially means "it blows you away" in French.

Here's another way to view what's going on: even if he only scores 0.5 in his remaining three games, his final performance rating will still be right at 3000!
        _______

In yesterday’s game with Topalov, Caruana’s second, Vladimir Chuchelov, prepared the move 13. Re2.

He told chess.com:

"How else to get the bishop to d2?" said Chuchelov.

Although the idea looks simple, Chuchelov said that the computers don't have it as a top recommendation.

Caruana must also know the ideas well -- he used the same opening from the opposite side against GM Dragan Solak at the 2014 Olympiad.

When asked how he finds strong novelties that are not computer discoveries, Caruana's second smiled wryly and talked about "a feeling a position gives you that there is something there."

Chuchelov has actually known about the move for a while -- he showed it to Caruana about a year ago but struggled to remember the original student that he found it for. That's about the only oversight team Caruana has made in St. Louis.

"It's all coming together in one tournament," Chuchelov said of his work with Caruana. He explained that three games have been won by preparation, and three by Caruana over the board. "I don't know what to do anymore!" he said, simultaneously joyous and exasperated about the good fortune.
        ________

Comments online:

- 25% chance of Caruana winning each game.
        25% = 0.25 probability

Probability of him winning 7 games would be (0.25)^7, which is equal to .000061, or 6/100,000.

Multiply that by 6 players in the tournament, and the chance of any of the players starting 7-0 is 3.6/10000, or 0.036%.

Not sure where you guys got 1 in 14 million from but you're waaaaaay off. 1 in 14 million would be the chances of going about 11-0 or 12-0.

- Only three things are certain: taxes, death, and Nakamura losing to Carlsen.

- Significant chess for 2014

Carlsen world champion of Classic, rapid and blitz

China won gold

Polgar retired

Kasparov lost FIDE presidency

Rise of Caruana
        And Anand won the Candidates

Comment

Not to take anything away from Caruana, but given the extremely bad play of his opponents, if Bobby Fischer were still alive I have no doubt but that he would state that this tournament is fixed. And Qa4 yesterday, leaving the area of the endangered King, and threatening nothing, is a move we patzers would not consider let alone make. Yes, Caruana is playing great chess, BUT... it is almost unbelievable how off form his opponents are. The strongest chess tournament in history?

Comment

Second Sinquefield Cup

Second Sinquefield Cup

September 4, 2014

Two Tweets

Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63

I will be interested in hearing Vachier-Lagrave explain 14.Qa4 later. Take on e5, play Qc2 & maybe Black is better but no threats!

MVL

‏@Vachier_Lagrave

To @Kasparov63 14.Qa4 was designed to take on e5, put queen on d4 then f3 and Kd2. I missed 14...Qh4 15.0-0 Nf6 at first and panicked then!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caruana after 7 wins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	185757

Fabiano Caruana is 7-0.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                Not to take anything away from Caruana, but given the extremely bad play of his opponents, if Bobby Fischer were still alive I have no doubt but that he would state that this tournament is fixed.
                I think that's a little strong. I haven't seen anything to suggest that.

This event is like the Candidates where Ananad won handily. The opponents are not off form. They are reasonably competitive with each other. When the event is over we can strip out Caruanas score and see how the players would have finished without him.

A player can not be held responsible for the play of his opponents. He can only punish bad play.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

By my calculation, Caruana can draw his final 3 games and still end with an extraordinary TPR of 3,082!

Carlsen is only plus one against Caruana in 15 classic matches (5 wins, 4 losses, 6 draws) so today's encounter gives Caruana the opportunity to even the classic score. Carlsen is vastly superior at the faster time controls, however, with 8 wins versus just 2 losses (and no draws!) but Caruana is not an elite blitz player (not even in the top 40).

Carlsen does perhaps have one minor trend working for him today. Their two August games (Tromso and St. Louis) were both won by Black and Carlsen does have the Black pieces today. Prior to Carlsen's win with White yesterday, he was on record as saying he was only playing well with Black here in St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                    Carlsen is vastly superior at the faster time controls, however, with 8 wins versus just 2 losses (and no draws!) but Caruana is not an elite blitz player (not even in the top 40).
                    That might be a plus. Some of the stuff which works at fast time controls might not work at classic time controls. The opponent has more time to figure them out.

I've always thought speed chess contributes to bad habits. The cheapoes a player sets up become a habit and they often don't work in tournament chess.

It's the same as OTB and CC. For me they didn't mix well.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                      Not to take anything away from Caruana, but given the extremely bad play of his opponents, if Bobby Fischer were still alive I have no doubt but that he would state that this tournament is fixed. And Qa4 yesterday, leaving the area of the endangered King, and threatening nothing, is a move we patzers would not consider let alone make. Yes, Caruana is playing great chess, BUT... it is almost unbelievable how off form his opponents are. The strongest chess tournament in history?

What's amazing is how everyone has forgotten the implications of the Borislav Ivanov 'cheating scandal'. Remember that no device or system was ever found. That means Ivanov's system COULD BE out there being used by anyone, undetected, and that includes Caruana, as far-fetched as that may be. All of Caruana's remarks about him not knowing what is different in this event could be 'part of the act'. But of course no one will really suspect this because Caruana is a new, fresh face and very likeable and seems very honest and down to earth.

It would be interesting to have Dr. Ken Regan assess this event and give us his take on Caruana's play (and everyone else's for that matter). Is Caruana matching top computer engines to some unusual degree?

I said it at the time of the Ivanov scandal and it bears repeating: organized standard chess is tainted now and into the future by the Ivanov business. All results are suspect!

Absolutely anyone could be using his system, if indeed he had one, and using it not for every move in every game, but for critical moves in critical games... completely undetected AND unsuspected (even by Dr. Regan).

If Caruana were instead a longstanding U.S. GM such as Christiansen or Joel Benjamin and were 7-0, there would be a hue and cry about cheating. For all we know, Caruana and other younger players are cheating their way to the top using Ivanov's system, and each one of them could be thinking s/he is the only one using the system and it's a well-kept secret.

Standard chess is forever tainted with cheating.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                        What's amazing is how everyone has forgotten the implications of the Borislav Ivanov 'cheating scandal'. Remember that no device or system was ever found. That means Ivanov's system COULD BE out there being used by anyone, undetected, and that includes Caruana, as far-fetched as that may be. All of Caruana's remarks about him not knowing what is different in this event could be 'part of the act'. But of course no one will really suspect this because Caruana is a new, fresh face and very likeable and seems very honest and down to earth.

It would be interesting to have Dr. Ken Regan assess this event and give us his take on Caruana's play (and everyone else's for that matter). Is Caruana matching top computer engines to some unusual degree?

I said it at the time of the Ivanov scandal and it bears repeating: organized standard chess is tainted now and into the future by the Ivanov business. All results are suspect!

Absolutely anyone could be using his system, if indeed he had one, and using it not for every move in every game, but for critical moves in critical games... completely undetected AND unsuspected (even by Dr. Regan).

If Caruana were instead a longstanding U.S. GM such as Christiansen or Joel Benjamin and were 7-0, there would be a hue and cry about cheating. For all we know, Caruana and other younger players are cheating their way to the top using Ivanov's system, and each one of them could be thinking s/he is the only one using the system and it's a well-kept secret.

Standard chess is forever tainted with cheating.
                        You are just the mentally disabled person I have ever known on an online forum and that includes such immaculate sites as ESPN, IMDB, and Youtube. Congratulations Paul, you are the winner.
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Executive summary:
                          Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          What's amazing ...blah blah blah ... Standard chess is forever tainted with cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Caruana only needs a draw to lock up 1st place.
                            A draw it is!
                            Caruana : Likely the best tournament performance ever!!

Comment

Second Sinquefield Cup

Round Eight
                              September 4, 2014

Aronian, Levon – Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime
                              C41 Philidor, Improved Hanham Variation

1. Nf3 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nbd7 4. e4 e5 5. g4 g6 6. g5 Nh5 7. Bh3 exd4 8. Nxd4 h6 9. Bxd7+ Bxd7 10. h4 Be7 11. gxh6 Bxh4 12. Be3 c6 13. Nf5 gxf5 14. Qxh5 Bf6 15. O-O-O Qe7 16. Bf4 O-O-O 17. Bxd6 Qe6 18. e5 Bxe5 19. Bxe5 Qxe5 20. h7 Rde8 21. Qxf7 Re7 22. Qg8+ Kc7 23. Rde1 Rexh7 24. Qxh7 Rxh7 25. Rxe5 Rxh1+ 26. Kd2 Kd6 27. Re3 Rh2 28. Ke1 Rh1+ 29. Kd2 Rh2 30. Ke1 Rh1+ ½-½

Caruana, Fabiano – Carlsen, Magnus
                              B36 Sicilian, Accelerated Fianchetto, Maroczy Bind

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3 d6 7.f3 Nxd4 8.Qxd4 Bg7 9.Be3 O-O 10.Qd2 a5 11.b3 a4 12.b4 Be6 13.Rc1 Nd7 14.Be2 Nb6 15.Nb5 a3 16.Nd4 Bd7 17.h4 h5 18.g4 hxg4 19.fxg4 e5 20.Nb3 Bc6 21.Bf3 f5 22.gxf5 gxf5 23.Na5 f4 24.Bf2 Na4 25.Nxc6 bxc6 26.O-O c5 27.b5 Bf6 28.Kh1 Nb6 29.Rcd1 Kh8 30.Qxd6 Qxd6 31.Rxd6 Nxc4 32.Rd5 Ne3 33.Bxe3 fxe3 34.Be2 Bxh4 35.Rf5 Rxf5 36.exf5 Rd8 37.Rxd8+ Bxd8 38.Kg2 Kg7 39.Kf3 Kf6 40.Ke4 c4 41.Bxc4 Bb6 42. Bd3 ½-½

Nakamura, Hikaru – Topalov, Veselin
                              C67 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defence, Open Variation

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Nxe4 5. d4 Nd6 6. Bxc6 dxc6 7. dxe5 Nf5 8. Qxd8+ Kxd8 9. h3 Ke8 10. Nc3 Ne7 11. Ne4 Ng6 12. Re1 h6 13. Kh2 c5 14. c4 Be6 15. b3 b6 16. g4 h5 17. Kg3 Rd8 18. Neg5 Bc8 19. Bb2 Be7 20. Rad1 Rxd1 21. Rxd1 hxg4 22. hxg4 f6 23. exf6 gxf6 24. Re1 Kf8 25. Ne4 Kf7 26. Bc1 Rg8 27. Rh1 Bb7 28. Re1 Re8 29. Nfd2 Ne5 30. Bb2 Nd3 31. Rb1 Rg8 32. Kf3 Nxb2 33. Rxb2 Bc8 34. g5 f5 35. Nf6 Rxg5 36. Nd5 Bb7 37. Rb1 Rg4 38. Rh1 Bd6 39. Ke2 Rd4 40. Rh7+ Kg6 41. Rd7 Bxd5 42. cxd5 Rxd5 43. Nc4 b5 44. Nxd6 cxd6 45. Rxa7 b4 46. a4 bxa3 47. Rxa3 Re5+ 48. Kd3 Kg5 49. Ra6 Re1 50. Kd2 Re6 51. Rb6 Kg4 52. b4 cxb4 53. Rxb4+ Kf3 54. Kd1 f4 55. Rd4 Re4 56. Rd2 d5 57. Ra2 Kg2 0-1

Caruana wins the Sinquefield
                              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Thursday, 4th September, 2014, 07:13 PM. Reason: late game result

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
                                A draw it is!
                                Caruana : Likely the best tournament performance ever!!
                                It will be interesting to see how Caruana's final two games go. I expect him to score more points and possibly end up undefeated.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X