Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I had my 3rd consecutive black. No pairing system I know can do that.
    Actually the USCF can, but I don't see how over the first three rounds....

(I actually enjoy playing Black)
    That's because you love playing the King's Indian :)

Steve

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Someone will give all the details tomorrow, but here's what can I say ;...
      That's interesting. Can anybody send files to me?

Comment

Anyone remember how much bitching there was about Jonathan Berry's pairings (™) in a not-so-distant national tournament?
        Perhaps depending too much on crappy software makes TDs less adept at manual pairings?
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Hi Roman:

My language or tone may have been a bit stronger than intended. I know Omar and have a great amount of respect for him. His rating, as Hugh Brodie has said, has hovered around 2000 (slightly above or below) for quite some time.

I wish you well for the tournament and I know full well that the early rounds are nightmares for the TD's and organizers until all the pairings are going smoothly.

Steve

P.S. And 5 minutes after the tournament ends, people will be complaining that the results haven't been posted, the CFC or FQE hasn't updated their ratings, etc.

Comment

Will the other pairings/results be made available tonight? (ex: U2400 and others?)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

D and E will probably be online tonight, but tomorrow AM sounds like a more reasonable objective.
              Last edited by Roman Sarrazin Gendron; Sunday, 20th July, 2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                Will the other pairings/results be made available tonight? (ex: U2400 and others?)
                Considering that the last games will probably end at midnight (the round started at 6), pairings might only be posted tomorrow morning.

Comment

I *certainly* remember that. Both thats.

There were two: Ottawa in 2009/2010 (can't remember) and Kapuskasing 2004.

I played at the 2005 CO in Kapuskasing after the so-called "CAPS debacle". Yet a year later we frequently had the posted pairings (allegedly via computer) changed frequently in the first four rounds (i.e. sheets were taken down and new ones put up). Hmmm.

I liked Jonathan's CAPS idea for 2004 (i.e. an "Open", single-section tournament where you could *declare* part-way through which prize/class/section you were going to play for) was a good, potentially flawed, but definitely ambitious idea.

A few years back I had WBBB in a four-round tournament and complained when I got my 3rd black. The TD said "well that's what the computer said so it must be right".

After that I emailed several people to advise them how to set up SwissSys: turn off USCF rules and make sure you set the maximum rounds for the tournament....

Steve

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    Considering that the last games will probably end at midnight (the round started at 6), pairings might only be posted tomorrow morning.
                    AM morning or AM late at night?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                      Man, the internet certainly has made us less patient. Chill out, have a drink, everybody's gonna play a game of chess tomorrow at 6PM, against a relatively equal opponent. Blunders will happen and results will be eventually posted.

And the entropy of the universe will rise slightly but steadily as all of that happen.

Mathieu

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        A few years back I had WBBB in a four-round tournament and complained when I got my 3rd black. The TD said "well that's what the computer said so it must be right".

After that I emailed several people to advise them how to set up SwissSys: turn off USCF rules and make sure you set the maximum rounds for the tournament..
                        The FIDE Dutch system allows three same colors in a row only for top players. To get this in 4 rounds, pairings and results must be extraordinary :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          The FIDE Dutch system allows three same colors in a row only for top players. To get this in 4 rounds, pairings and results must be extraordinary :)
                          Hi Egis:

I have had Black for all of the first three rounds. I am CFC 1645, and playing up in the U 2000 group. This is not supposed to happen to me is it?

I do acknowledge, though, that the pressure of the third round U 2000 pairings by hand at the last minute (causing a 1 1/2 hr. delay to the start of our round) may have contributed to this anomaly.

Bob A

Comment

This is not supposed to happen to me is it?
                            You shall ask your TA. We, at chesstalks, can only speculate - most likely a human error.

Comment

Hi Egis:

I have had Black for all of the first three rounds. I am CFC 1645, and playing up in the U 2000 group. This is not supposed to happen to me is it?

I do acknowledge, though, that the pressure of the third round U 2000 pairings by hand at the last minute (causing a 1 1/2 hr. delay to the start of our round) may have contributed to this anomaly.

Bob A
                              I guess the real question now is whether or not you will get 3 whites in a row...
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Bob,
                                This should never have happened, and we will try to see why it did. We had a similar case with another player, but it turns out he played his game with the wrong colours (and his opponent didn't realize either...). In your case, it is likely that you had black twice in a row and that there was an error in the manual pairings for the third round (doing manual pairings for over 100 players on Excel is quite a challenge).

We now have the whole day to correct all the problems. We are really sorry for all the issues. We were expecting about 350 players and, while we were busy with the CYCC, a lot of registrations started coming in... In fact, we received about 75 registrations in the 12 hours before the tournament!
                                Last time I checked we had 421 players. The last time that a Canadian Open had that many players was in 1974 (in Montreal), so we were definitely not ready for that. That said, everything should go much more smoothly now that there is only one round per day.

I will try to post more details about the first few rounds of the tournament tonight, as well as some information about the simul GM Bluvshtein gave at the Complexe Desjardins (which attracted quite a few news media).

Comment

Working...
                                X