Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kirsan wins again

We endorsed Kirsan the nicer guy who treated the CFC with respect
    That's a lame excuse.Let's knock off the bullsh*t and get to the point shall we. The CFC lost my respect when I was initially directed by the CFC to the FIDE rep who enthusiastically agreed in writing that he would recommend to the executive the endorsement of Kasparov. I was not informed that I was to be used as leverage to see what the CFC could extract from Kirsan. Even a month later when I asked the Fide rep what was happening I was not told that the issue was that the CFC was trying to get what in the opinion of at least one of the CFC governors amounted to an $80,000 "bribe" (a word that was retracted by one of the governors here on chess talk only after you threatened to sue him). Even then your governor still stood by that opinion.

The bottom line is that you sold me and the CFC's integrity down the river for $80,000.00 so that you could endorse a thug and a crook.The "Putin schtick" is the least of Kirsan's problems. The CFC just joined many of the third world federations that sold their endorsement for Kirsan's money.

The best part is after all of that the CFC still solicited my support and sponsorship from more then one executive member. i guess the CFC can't view me as that bad a guy, or maybe my money is not so bad. LOL! Voting members and the executive are supposed to represent the CFC membership. Not one but two polls were held here on chess talk with the last one showing zero votes for Kirsan. You yourself said the reason you used chesstalk and not the CFC forums is that the readership of the CFC forum is very low. The last one was an open poll that actually showed the names of the voters. The poll could not be manipulated. i would agree with Spraggett's view that what was done did not reflect the desire of the CFC membership. in fact even a very small minority of governors wanted an actual public endorsement instead preferring either abstaining or a secret vote for either candidate.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 26th July, 2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      We endorsed Kirsan the nicer guy who treated the CFC with respect
      That's a lame excuse.Let's knock off the bullsh*t and get to the point shall we. The CFC lost my respect when I was initially directed by the CFC to the FIDE rep who enthusiastically agreed in writing that he would recommend to the executive the endorsement of Kasparov.
      I read the email that you are referring to. I don't see where your interpretation of what he said is quite correct.

I was not informed that I was to be used as leverage to see what the CFC could extract from Kirsan. Even a month later when I asked the Fide rep what was happening I was not told that the issue was that the CFC was trying to get what in the opinion of at least one of the CFC governors amounted to an $80,000 "bribe" (a word that was retracted by one of the governors here on chess talk only after you threatened to sue him). Even then your governor still stood by that opinion.
      There is no way to spin a sponsorship as a bribe which would not also spin what you and the Kasparov campaign were offering in the same light. We spend many tens of thousands of dollars while participating in FIDE events every year. For the first time we are going to get some sponsorship in return. The beneficiaries of these sponsorships will be some of Canada's strong young players. So if you are accusing us of trying to make the best deal for Canadian chess....

The bottom line is that you sold me and the CFC's integrity down the river for $80,000.00 so that you could endorse a thug and a crook.
      Somehow I have a different interpretation of the events.

The "Putin schtick" is the least of Kirsan's problems. The CFC just joined many of the third world federations that sold their endorsement for Kirsan's money.

The best part is after all of that the CFC still solicited my support and sponsorship from more then one executive member. i guess the CFC can't view me as that bad a guy, or maybe my money is not so bad. LOL! Voting members and the executive are supposed to represent the CFC membership. Not one but two polls were held here on chess talk with the last one showing zero votes for Kirsan. You yourself said the reason you used chesstalk and not the CFC forums is that the readership of the CFC forum is very low. The last one was an open poll that actually showed the names of the voters. The poll could not be manipulated. i would agree with Spraggett's view that what was done did not reflect the desire of the CFC membership. in fact even a very small minority of governors wanted an actual public endorsement instead preferring either abstaining or a secret vote for either candidate.
      People are afraid of being attacked by the rabid pack of dogs that savage anyone who voices a contrary opinion. The poll could be manipulated by calling in reinforcements. There was no reason for me to do this as it did help me see what certain people thought. Many of the people that voted were not CFC members. I have received only three negative comments from CFC members about the decision and one admitted that given the behaviour of the Kasparov camp our decision is quite understandable. Since it is clear that this pattern of behaviour is a world wide phenomenon the only question to ask is whether Kirsan will be able to beat Garry in a more convincing fashion than the election against Karpov who was a better candidate. The total number of votes in the Chesstalk is an indicator of indifference given the number of CFC members. I did not vote myself.

Thanks to the FQE we just had the most successful CYCC ever and one of the most successful Canadian Opens in many decades and you want to focus on the FIDE election and create controversy. I am just enjoying being in Montreal at this moment.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 27th July, 2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Mr. President, I have a question:
        Robert Hamilton was an official representative of the Kasparov's campaign in Canada. Who was an official representative of the Ilyumzhinov's campaign in Canada?
        Thank you,
        Sasha Starr.

Comment

Vlad's qouote

"I read the email that you are referring to. I don't see where your interpretation of what he said is quite correct."

You have told me before you read the email. Below is the actual email. I just want chess talk readers to see how you twist the truth. This is against a backdrop where I was told to talk to the FIDE rep as the executive generally goes with his recommendation. Hal went to Russia shortly after he met with me where he was paid to arbitrate the FIDE candidates matches.

After he returned I contacted him five weeks later where I was told there were problems. I was not informed that he simply was told to use me to extract something out of Kirsan while in Russia. Amazingly one of your executives told me that was exactly your reaction when Hal informed you of our meeting. I certainly was not told that the problem was that Kirsan offered the CFC $80,000.00 for his endorsement. Where would FIDE get off offering Canada this type of sponsorship instead of the same offer to all federations as a general campaign promise if Kirsan is reelected? That my friend is exactly what is wrong with this picture and why what the CFC did was in my view corruption.

So i would concur with the view of some of your own voting members that stated that it was a "bribe". We were never in the business of buying votes. I do not have a history of sponsorship for anything in return. You are the one that perverted the process and went against Hal to see how much money the CFC could get for Kirsan's vote.

Any thing i ever gave to the CFC was out of my own pocket , not FIDE's. You will note by the way that Gary has never offered to use FIDE resources to favor specific Federations that help his campaign. The Kasparov Chess Foundation has existed for many years and has promoted chess in schools all over the world solely through funding by outside sponsors.Nothing was ever asked for in return for this help. In fact Gary has promised to eliminate FIDE fees as a general campaign promise to all federations as FIDE would be funded by legitimate corporate sponsors.

The CFC extracted a special $80,000 privilege in return for an endorsement of a thug and a crook. This $80,000 was not part of the general FIDE campaign that was offered for all federations. Sorry if that reality does not sit well with you while you are enjoying your time in Montreal. Next time think about what you are doing or better still fix the problem while you still have time. It is now clear to me why you wanted this kept secret.

As for your comments about Polls you can spin and rationalize that anyway you want but the whole world knows that the CFC membership would support Gary in a landslide and the polls demonstrated exactly that.

Dear Sid;

Thank you for taking the time to squeeze me into your schedule today. You answered several of my concerns and introduced some well reasoned thoughts about chess in Canada as Garry sees them. I also took some comfort in knowing that you will remain available as a liaison during Garry’s tenure as President.

I will be presenting a favourable report to my executive.

Best wishes

Hal
          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 26th July, 2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

This is practically eliminates Hal as a spokesperson/representative of Ilyumzhinov's campaign in Canada. Then who was that person?
            I've already asked our President this question - so far no reply. Anybody has this information?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
              This is practically eliminates Hal as a spokesperson/representative of Ilyumzhinov's campaign in Canada. Then who was that person?
              I've already asked our President this question - so far no reply. Anybody has this information?
              You asked the question 11 minutes before the start of the last round of the Canadian Open, in which Vlad is playing, so I am not surprised that Vlad did not reply.

Playing chess. Yes, that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                You asked the question 11 minutes before the start of the last round of the Canadian Open, in which Vlad is playing, so I am not surprised that Vlad did not reply.

Playing chess. Yes, that stuff.
                OK, let me rephrase the question: does anybody - executives, voting and non-voting members, chesstalkers, with an exception of Mr. President - know who was a spokesperson/representative of Mr. Ilyumzhinov's campaign in Canada?

Comment

OK, let me rephrase the question: does anybody - executives, voting and non-voting members, chesstalkers, with an exception of Mr. President - know who was a spokesperson/representative of Mr. Ilyumzhinov's campaign in Canada?
                  There wasn't one, same as 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    There wasn't one, same as 2010.
                    Let me understand something. Robert Hamilton was an official representative of Mr. Kasparov's campaign. And the interests of Mr. Ilyumzhinov were represented apparently by no one. Yet it was Mr. Ilyumzhinov who won the CFC's vote, furthermore, CFC has publicly announced his endorsement! How does it work? How could it ever happened?

Please explain. Executives were already asked for the explanation. More then once. It is about time.

Comment

Let me understand something. Robert Hamilton was an official representative of Mr. Kasparov's campaign. And the interests of Mr. Ilyumzhinov were represented apparently by no one. Yet it was Mr. Ilyumzhinov who won the CFC's vote, furthermore, CFC has publicly announced his endorsement! How does it work? How could it ever happened?
                      Hmm. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the "non-official" Kasparov representatives managed to aggressively and repeatedly honk off everybody in sight who didn't agree with their world-view?

Just guessing.

BTW do you own a mirror?

Steve

Comment

Steve,
                        I see from your bleating the party line, that you have joined the cadre of dim intellects who when they cannot answer a man's arguments with logic they resort to ridicule! You should be a shoo-in for election to the CFC executive.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                          Steve,
                          I see from your bleating the party line, that you have joined the cadre of dim intellects who when they cannot answer a man's arguments with logic they resort to ridicule! You should be a shoo-in for election to the CFC executive.
                          Umm. I did answer his questions. You're the one stooping to personal insults here.

Steve (just another Dim Intellect, Vanguard of the Old Boys Network)

Comment

I agree, joining the CFC executive is a terrible insult!

Comment

Please explain. Executives were already asked for the explanation. More then once. It is about time.
                              Hal Bond contacted an official representative of the KI campaign and relayed the information to the rest of the Executive.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                                Hmm. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the "non-official" Kasparov representatives managed to aggressively and repeatedly honk off everybody in sight who didn't agree with their world-view?

Just guessing.

BTW do you own a mirror?

Steve
                                The official representatives also delivered some information that didn't enhance their chances. I am sitting in Toronto Island Airport waiting for my connecting flight to Windsor in less than 30 minutes (boarding time). Montreal was great as were the organizers of the Canadian Open and CYCC. My play: not so much. Now that the Canadian Open and CYCC are over I will probably have an official statement about the FIDE election within a day or two of getting home after conferring and concurring with the Executive. I will also have my official statement which I will probably not confer with anyone on.

For those who are complaining about our endorsement of Kirsan: Get over it. From the point of view of chess both in FIDE and in Canada he is the better candidate. He has a strong record of accomplishments for world chess and he has the diplomatic skills that are required for the post.

Garry appears to have only one way of interacting with potential voters and I suspect the reaction to it will be similar around the world as it is in Canada. In any case the election can't be over fast enough. In the end I think the margin of victory for Kirsan will render the tempest in a teapot over the Canadian vote irrelevant but we would make the same decision if the margin of victory were only one vote.
                                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 27th July, 2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X