X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Young Karl Marx

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Fred: "How Feuerbachian of you."
    Somebody has something wrong here, too bad they could not use Stanley Kubrick to make the Marx film. In his Theses to Feuerbach, Marx wrote, if my memory serves, "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways, the point, however, is to change it." Marx is of course well known for suggesting that "religion is the opiate of the masses" but I do not believe that this opinion can be at all related to Feuerbach.

Surely Engels would have realized all of this and not suggested that the chess comment of Marx was Feuerbachian. The comment was clearly Marxist, who needed no lessons from Feuerbach in order to develop his theories.

Comment

Der Widerspruch ist das Fortleitende

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      Surely Engels would have realized all of this and not suggested that the chess comment of Marx was Feuerbachian. The comment was clearly Marxist, who needed no lessons from Feuerbach in order to develop his theories.
      The dialogue was made up (by me). Glad you got the reference. ;) I just paraphrased Marx and hinted [in Fred's final line] at where the idea came from. The film-maker, Raoul Peck, is a bit of a scholar and I've read that he used M-E personal correspondence as a basis for dialogue in the film. He also made "I Am Not Your Negro" (about James Baldwin) and won an Oscar in January of this year for his efforts. So he should be good enough. How much of a role chess plays in the film is anyone's guess. We will see in June when it is released in English.

I should mention that the actors for the two main characters were difficult to find; in real life they conversed, freely, in German, French and English and the film reflects that. Like Bon Cop, Bad Cop only with German added as well. Maybe it will become a new trend in film-making.

In any case, Marx was quite willing to give credit where credit was due and knew the history of social thought well enough to identify where, when, and by whom a new idea was first expressed. The following quote from Engels might be of interest here ...

"Then came Feuerbach’s Essence of Christianity. With one blow, it pulverized the contradiction ... One must himself have experienced the liberating effect of this book to get an idea of it. Enthusiasm was general; we all became at once Feuerbachians. How enthusiastically Marx greeted the new conception and how much — in spite of all critical reservations — he was influenced by it, one may read in The Holy Family. "

see Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy
      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 24th March, 2017, 02:57 PM. Reason: polishing, ya know?
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

El Jugador de ajedrez

The Spanish Embassy played the following film in Ottawa on October 4 of this year. I guess no one here saw it. Pity.

The Chess Player (El Jugador de ajedrez)

See also a pdf of the Spanish film fest at Bytowne Cinema

I do not know if or when it will be available for wider distribution. It is based on the novel by Julio Castedo.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 19th October, 2017, 11:11 PM. Reason: novel note

Comment

Re: El Jugador de ajedrez

Thanks, it's playing in Toronto in November:
          http://euffto.com/index.php/componen...e-chess-player

Comment

Re: Chess in film and television

This week's Murdock Mystery saw the fourth best chess player in the world murdered in the woods of Markham, and cheating with a hidden transmitter!

http://www.cbc.ca/murdochmysteries/e.../game-of-kings

Comment

No need to investigate.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
              This week's Murdock Mystery saw the fourth best chess player in the world murdered in the woods of Markham, and cheating with a hidden transmitter!

http://www.cbc.ca/murdochmysteries/e.../game-of-kings
              Given the current xenophobic climate, why investigate? Russia did it.

This one should be easy for Murdoch.

Comment

OK, I'm investigating.

At least the boards were set up correctly.

It was also nice to see the detail on at least one of the sets; they showed Knight with bridle and/or reins in detail. I've never seen that on a wooden Knight before, though I have seen individual teeth and (horse) hairs on some Knights. Nice touch.

The show mixes up different times, sometimes in a jarring sort of way, that is historically very inaccurate. Probably most of the viewing audience loves the sticky treacle that passes for drama in this show, and could care less for the egregious errors. For example, there are no chess clocks in the tournament (the show is set "around the turn of the century") but by 1900 the analog push button chess clock had been perfected by Verenhoff of Groningen. Any top European chess players would have known this and insisted on proper time controls.

I guess Constable Crabtree had to be able to waste time for dramatic effect. So no chess clocks.

Another inaccuracy, more political, was the Yorkshire-raised Police Inspector Brackenreid and his derisive use of the term "Bolshevik". English-speaking policemen wouldn't have been able to distinguish a Bolshevik from a Menshevik, nor would they care about such things, until after the Russian Revolution of 1917 and well into the civil war in which troops from the British Empire in the North Russia Expeditionary Force invaded that country. This didn't happen until 1918-1920, or thereabouts, which is well after the "turn of the century". There simply was no such thing as Bolsheviks before 1903 and none of the characters would care, in any case, until after 1917. Never miss a chance to denounce subversives, I guess.

I saw no Canadian chess credits whatsoever. Considering how many famous people - including former PM Stephen Harper - have appeared on this show, you think the dolts at Murdoch Mysteries would make it their business to get all the chess details just right ... and maybe even have a cameo by some (perhaps aging) Canadian chess star.

Nope. Well, at least they got the right-hand corners all light-coloured squares.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a little incoherent, but there were two dead in this episode, I think. However, since one of them was a Russian, no one was charged.

All Russians are villains, right?

Comment

Re: OK, I'm investigating.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                  At least the boards were set up correctly.

It was also nice to see the detail on at least one of the sets; they showed Knight with bridle and/or reins in detail. I've never seen that on a wooden Knight before, though I have seen individual teeth and (horse) hairs on some Knights. Nice touch.

The show mixes up different times, sometimes in a jarring sort of way, that is historically very inaccurate. Probably most of the viewing audience loves the sticky treacle that passes for drama in this show, and could care less for the egregious errors. For example, there are no chess clocks in the tournament (the show is set "around the turn of the century") but by 1900 the analog push button chess clock had been perfected by Verenhoff of Groningen. Any top European chess players would have known this and insisted on proper time controls.

I guess Constable Crabtree had to be able to waste time for dramatic effect. So no chess clocks.

Another inaccuracy, more political, was the Yorkshire-raised Police Inspector Brackenreid and his derisive use of the term "Bolshevik". English-speaking policemen wouldn't have been able to distinguish a Bolshevik from a Menshevik, nor would they care about such things, until after the Russian Revolution of 1917 and well into the civil war in which troops from the British Empire in the North Russia Expeditionary Force invaded that country. This didn't happen until 1918-1920, or thereabouts, which is well after the "turn of the century". There simply was no such thing as Bolsheviks before 1903 and none of the characters would care, in any case, until after 1917. Never miss a chance to denounce subversives, I guess.

I saw no Canadian chess credits whatsoever. Considering how many famous people - including former PM Stephen Harper - have appeared on this show, you think the dolts at Murdoch Mysteries would make it their business to get all the chess details just right ... and maybe even have a cameo by some (perhaps aging) Canadian chess star.

Nope. Well, at least they got the right-hand corners all light-coloured squares.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a little incoherent, but there were two dead in this episode, I think. However, since one of them was a Russian, no one was charged.

All Russians are villains, right?
                  There was a Russian player killed by a Polish, and a Polish player killed by a Russian. A Polish mentioned Bolshevik, maybe the term known by 1905? The show has been moving into the 20th Century.

Although events like the British Championship had clocks, I haven't seen any reference to them in Canada until the 1920 Dominion Championship. I like your idea of a real Canadian chess player cameo. No mention of real players like Lasker or Marshall. Perhaps this fictional tournament was just a warm-up exhibition on the way to a New York international? There would have been German players, too; Mieses came to Toronto in 1908. Toronto was 7% Jewish (some families escaping pograms), so could be some players/murderers from that immigrant population. The biggest thing missing wasn't clocks, but smoking.

Comment

Daniel Rensch posted a satirical image on his twitter feed.
                    :
                    http://chess-news.ru/node/24858

Rensch: "A recent political satire image... and I can’t figure out who’s being ridiculed more?

Trump for not playing games worthy of #Chess or Putin for setting up the chessboard wrong?"

The comments were good too. My fave is the following:

"The joke is on Putin; can't checkmate if the opponent doesn't have a King! (taps temple)"

Comment

James Bond on Chess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdCo8UVxeXU

Comment

The rules of Conman chess strategy in Guy Ritchie film Revolver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rWj7oWlVtag

Comment

Stanley Kubrick and Chess. Finally!

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/sta...edium=facebook

Comment

Why Movies Get Chess Wrong

You’re watching a movie that includes a football scene. As a gridiron fan, you’re pleased — at first. Then you notice something’s wrong: Why are there only seven players on either team, you wonder. Why do they seem to be running around at random? And is that a cricket ball the quarterback is passing?

Such baffling errors are what chess fans have come to anticipate when they sit down in a cinema. Even behemoths like Captain America: Civil War don’t check that their pieces are in the right place, committing mistakes that any patzer would catch.
                            A good summary of chess in film and how/why they often get things wrong.

Dave Edmonds (author of Bobby Fischer Goes to War) concludes: “The problem with chess as a signifier is that it then becomes a caricature,” says Edmonds. “But I never resent chess being put into a film. I always like to see it there because it’s a free advertisement for the game, as it were.”

Comment

From September 2017: an interview with Director Benjamin Ree regarding his film about Magnus Carlsen. The part about intuition is interesting.

In 2014, the director Benjamin Ree decided to follow the Norwegian chess player Magnus Carlsen during his victory at the world championships. From his hundreds of hours of filming, the director has shot a documentary, Magnus, released on DVD on September 5. A film that returns to the trajectory of this prodigy that works intuition. Between wins against Kasparov at just 13, Donald Duck's comics and blindfold chess games....

Magnus opened a chess book, read a random page, and then rested the book and chained with a story of Donald Duck. There was nothing disciplined. That made Magnus a great player of intuition. He relies on his instinct. It's something very hard to explain. This translates into a certain fluidity in the way of playing....

Magnus has found a way to stay childish in his way of playing. It's less predictable. Thanks to him, it's more of a battle between two men, between two spirits. He revolutionized chess and inspired a whole generation of young players.
                              The interview is in French and I have used Google Translate above.

See “Magnus Carlsen a révolutionné les échecs”

Comment

A reply to Denis Gauthier over here:

Changing subjects naturally as children do is something that adults, generally, lose. This is not just about intuition but of a certain order or sequence of thinking. The great 19th century educator and inventor of Kindergarten, Friedrich Froebel, was the inspiration for educational theories which moved children through various activities, often based on interest and which were also nature-based, and contrasted with the hopelessly over-structured Victorian authoritarianism that he was up against.

Comment

Working...
                                X